New ammo sales law in TN?????

Anyone heard anything about a new law regarding ammunition sales?

I got ID'd yesterday at Dick's in Murfreesboro, to buy 2 boxes of .270. They also demanded to know if I was a US citizen & refused to sell it if I couldn't produce my passport & Visa.

I was told that it was a new law, recently passed in the state of Tennessee.

I told the manager to go **** himself & bought it from The Outpost with no hassles at all. They said they'd never even heard of such a law.

I'm guessing it's just one of Dick's stupid policies. I mean, I get the ID thing, just as proof of age, but when has it ever been illegal to buy ammunition as a non-citizen?All I know is, Dick ain't getting another red cent out of me.

Edited by robtattoo

Dick's must be planning to get out of the firearms/ammo business judging by their prices, the stores that have done away with the gun counter, and their (lack of) customer service lately. Maybe phase 1 is to piss off all of their gun owning/buying customers.

Edited by LagerHead

You know that what he told you was a flat out lie. If any such law had been passed, we would have heard about it here or somewhere else on the net. In fact, we would've heard about it when it was first introduced in the legislature, which is how we know it wasn't.

who in the hell has a passport --- I do not, nowhere I want to go because the airport + foreign laws make packing too much trouble. Only visa I have is the card to pay for the purchase. Most people don't have this stuff, doubt 50% of americans have that sort of thing and far less carry it around daily.

I thought it sounded hokey. Obviously Dick's are just making it up as they go along. Thanks guys.

For those that don't know, I'm not a US Citizen, or Permanent Resident. I am a Non-Immigrant Alien, here completely legally on an investment Visa. I am legal to purchase & own (but not carry) any & all legal firearms, just like the rest of yer!

The reason I brought this up, as much as my concern, was that the credit card machine asked automatically if I were a US Citizen as soon as the ammunition was swiped at the point of sale.

Guest nysos

I thought it sounded hokey. Obviously Dick's are just making it up as they go along. Thanks guys.

For those that don't know, I'm not a US Citizen, or Permanent Resident. I am a Non-Immigrant Alien, here completely legally on an investment Visa. I am legal to purchase & own (but not carry) any & all legal firearms, just like the rest of yer!

The reason I brought this up, as much as my concern, was that the credit card machine asked automatically if I were a US Citizen as soon as the ammunition was swiped at the point of sale.

If you really want it from Dick's, just hit no. It is just their store policy, no law or anything so no harm done. Better suggestion is find a local gun store to spend your money.

It has been my experience that "Dick's" is properly named.

Ever been to "Dick's Last Resort"? They treat you like crap, make fun of you, then expect a tip. Maybe the store just plans on becoming a theme retail store...>_>

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

It has been my experience that "Dick's" is properly named.

The one in Knoxville is on Peter's Drive. We always call it Dick's on Peter's.Makes me laugh every time.

Ours went out of the guns and ammo business a couple of years ago.I guess selling name brand clothes to the Yuppies was more lucrative than firearms.

Ever been to "Dick's Last Resort"? They treat you like crap, make fun of you, then expect a tip. Maybe the store just plans on becoming a theme retail store...>_>

Yes, that place is funny as all get out. In about a month we are going to IMTS in Chicago and spend a couple of days partying. That restaurant is at the top of our list.

A Permanent Resident (green card) can get a HCP, but I do not believe that any other Visa holders can.

Permanent Resident Status is correct but there are more possibilities than just the "green card" (I-551) itself, looks like. Most of these seem dependent on having one, but those last two seem like different categories?

"Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)

Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been "Processed for I-551"

Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)

Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551†stamp and holder’s photograph affixed

Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)

Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)

Form I-94 stamped with one of the following statuses: Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee"

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The other day I was buying ammo in walmart. I picked up some that was on a shelf instead of behind the glass and I went upfront to pay for it. The computer ask if the buyer was over 18 or 21. She ask for my ID and I said I am certainly over 21 and she didn't need it. She didn't ask for my DOB which I would have just gave her. After I told her I was over 21, she thought about it for moment and hit some buttons and it was sold. I didn't go in and plan that, but knowing I didn't have to show ID in the back, I wasn't planning to show ID in the front check out. (I didn't either)

The other day I was buying ammo in walmart. I picked up some that was on a shelf instead of behind the glass and I went upfront to pay for it. The computer ask if the buyer was over 18 or 21. She ask for my ID and I said I am certainly over 21 and she didn't need it. She didn't ask for my DOB which I would have just gave her. After I told her I was over 21, she thought about it for moment and hit some buttons and it was sold. I didn't go in and plan that, but knowing I didn't have to show ID in the back, I wasn't planning to show ID in the front check out. (I didn't either)

Well, they could certainly require it if they choose to, a vendor's choice to comply with federal law re ammo sales. It's actually rather dumb that the federal law exists, yet does not require ID, neither in brick and mortar or online.

- OS

Yes, that place is funny as all get out. In about a month we are going to IMTS in Chicago and spend a couple of days partying. That restaurant is at the top of our list.

Been to the one in Chicago a couple of times. The second time I tried to banter back and forth at their insults and quips. I was defeated.... them girls are quick and sharp.

Just throwing this out there. From a legal perspective, since there is no law prohibiting the sale of ammo to non-residents, could the fact that Dick's will not sell ammo to non-residents be considered discrimination. I see no difference personally between what they are doing and saying "We won't sell ammo to people of certain ethnic backgrounds."