"low ballers" when selling a handgun

tercel89

I have a G17 that I bought brand new , I never shot it and it just sat in my safe and sat . Well I decided to sell it to get me a S&W M&P40 at my local gun shop. Yeah yeah yeah , I know , I am a Glock guy but I just want one. I had the price set at a firm and fair price. I swear that I have gotten so many low ballers that it is pathetic !

Some people were offering just stupid low ball prices . Now I understand that it is ok to ask a lower price than what the seller is asking for but $100 is pathetic.

It almost makes me want to keep my G17 .

What I cant understand is why these "lowballers" waste their time and mine on just stupid offers ? I guess they are hoping that someone is just desperate to sell and they just take the offer.

Anyways Rant over .

People trying to take advantage of others in need of money. Since eBay/CL and other online auction sites have come around, I think a lot of morons believe that they're going to get rich off of other morons on the internet. There have been times when people were persistant asses about lowballing even though the price said firm, that was reaffirmed and they kept on... So I play along for about a week making them think they'll get the deal and just cut all communication.

Hell, just two days ago on CL I have a new Nintendo DSi listed for $75 which is reasonable.. person emails and asks if I'll take $50, said no price is fair and firm. they messaged back and said they needed it because it was their son's birthday and he was already excited about getting it and said I should take $60... I messaged back and told her it would be a good lesson in business accumen for him to learn and I wish him a happy b-day.

I was selling some stuff that retails for $400 and it was still sealed in the package. I was asking $130 figuring the first offer over $100 would get it. I got 15-20 offers, none of them were over $20. I mean come on they are still sealed in the original box. I am all for negotiating but some people just make me mad with there lowballing.

Become a Benefactor and sell it here at a good price.

I had a Benefactor account here last year and let it expire . I think I'm gonna renew it . I always had great dealings with the members on here. Even made some friends too.

Edited by tercel89

I was selling some stuff that retails for $400 and it was still sealed in the package. I was asking $130 figuring the first offer over $100 would get it. I got 15-20 offers, none of them were over $20. I mean come on they are still sealed in the original box. I am all for negotiating but some people just make me mad with there lowballing.

Yes I agree 100%

Guest 6.8 AR

I always ask unless it it is already a good price. Then I usually say, "I'll take it". If someone thinks it's an insult,

just don't respond. People dicker and negotiate all the time. It's how they do it that matters. Politeness could

go a long way.

I seriously doubt you would gouge anyone, tercel89. Don't pay them any attention. :D

And there are also those that think their used firearm should resell at the full market price of the brand new item. Before campbellyardsales.com stopped allowing gun sales on their site I made an offer on a nice .308 + scope. The package new would have been in the $1800 range. I offered $1300 because it was used, the scope had some dings in it and he had on it a stock that I didn't even want 'cause it was a peice of junk. I knew once I bought it I was gonna drop another $300-$400 on a quality stock, so the fact that he had some aftermarket Choate garbage on there didn't increase the value of the item for me. His response back was one of complete outrage! It could have just been, "sorry but no." If the price is not negotiable then just say that in your advertisement. I see that all the time here followed by a month's worth of bumps with no responses.

• Like 1

And there are also those that think their used firearm should resell at the full market price of the brand new item.

So you're suggesting that if someone adds $500 worth of Chinese/eBay accessories, it would not raise the value of the weapon $500? You clearly have not read rule #17 of the mall ninja handbook

So you're suggesting that if someone adds $500 worth of Chinese/eBay accessories, it would not raise the value of the weapon $500? You clearly have not read rule #17 of the mall ninja handbook

Haha, so true. I saw one not too long ago where someone had tacked on an additional several hundred dollars because of the mags and stated that he wanted them sold all together. Now, I do have a lot of mags for various guns, but I'm not paying for 20 mags that I don't need. Either throw them in as a deal sweetener or sell 'em separate, but don't get mad when I don't want to pay for crap I don't need or want.

Wait till you get offers of household appliances and farm animals to trade. LOL

I have met some truly great people on here from doing deals. But of late I have met some bad ones.

They act like you just fell off a turnip truck. I probaly have once or twice but I explain at least I owned

the truck I fell off.

Edited by R1100R

I dabble in used items from time to time, and yes, I low ball. I don't expect to buy it at the low price, Its a starting point as a buyer, and like my dad taught me many years ago, you never know until you ask. I have a basic principal regardless of the value of an item, if the seller is selling something, he/she must negotiate. I always walk if they don't. BTW its never the value of something that drives the actual selling price, its the willingness of the seller to let go his/her item at a price, finding that lowest point of the willingness to sell by the seller is the art of negotiating, that is the thrill for me. Looking back over the years, I rarely have purchased an item at the low ball price, but many times it sure does skew the curve to meet in the middle. At the end of the day, business is business, buy low sell high, and cash is king. Seller can always say no!

Edited by Runco

And there are also those that think their used firearm should resell at the full market price of the brand new item.

This.

There is only one reason I can think of why a person would pay full price for a used common gun; because they can’t pass a background check. I use to buy most of my guns used, but in the last few years most have been new.

My favorite line is “I bought this new and I’m just trying to get out of it what I have in it.†I’m going to try that the next time I sell a car. :)

I recently advertised that I wanted to buy an M&P Shield. I got an offer from someone that had a used one for $525.

Sure you will get lowball offers, people snatch up anything at a decent price, mark it up and relist it. Of course, they will be the ones crying for support when they get arrested doing it.

But if you are asking what a person can buy the gun new for, $100 off isn’t a lowball offer its reality. Don’t be mad; just tell them “Not at this timeâ€.

I recently walked into a gun show carrying my handgun in the box because I wanted to shop for a holster. I was swarmed when I walked through the door. Whatcha got?, Whats in there?, Goodgrief I’ve never seen that happen before. I guess the economy is so bad people are will to risk jail for a few extra bucks.

I try to be fair when giving a price point to a seller. Total LowBalling is silly. I've had people PM me on here saying things like, "I've got $200 cash in hand and can meet today!" when I've had the item posted at $450. That is just silly. Pending the price and how long the items been listed, I've tried to go $50 to $100 lower than stated price to get a "better" deal but never over 1/2 off.

Guest Aces&8s

i am in the retail buisness it happens to me every dat

Same here, and it has been getting worse the last few years. There was a USAToday article back in 2009 that encouraged shoppers to haggle for any item, suggesting that it works for cars, why not groceries? Plus all of the pawn shop programs that are so popular now, people are encouraged to lowball then work up to a "reasonable" price.

At our store, the prices are clearly marked, and yet several times a day people will come to the register and ask "Will you take $X for it?", usually offering half of what the price is (which is always discounted off of the cover price, anyway). Seriously? This ain't the Compton Swap Meet, lady...

As for the hassle of selling a gun... guess I'll keep 'em til I die, then let someone else deal with it. :dirty:

Guest nysos

Now I understand that it is ok to ask a lower price than what the seller is asking for but $100

So you never got back to me, you wonna take $100 for it or not!?

:hiding:

I had an iPhone 3GS for sale on CL. After 5 or 6 ridiculous lowball offers I told a particularly annoying guy I'd think about his $75 offer. Next time he pestered me I told him I just sold it for $80 a few minutes ago. He was mad as hell, 'I'd have given you $80 for it, jeez'. So, I said, 'I wish you would've offered me that, the other guy was a real jerk'.

• Like 1
Guest nysos

I've sold my number of things on craigslist, and it drives me nuts when it is already a low price - because I price it to sell it quick. I have gotten to the point where I will price something about 20-25% higher than what I actually want for it, hoping that someone just offers what I really want for it. Seems easier than putting the price I want for an item, and dealing with all the bad offers.

I sold an ATV not too long ago, and a guy wanted to trade me broken electronics (like old VCRs and stuff) for it. I mean really? It took 2 months almost, but sold it for $2800.

I learned a long time ago that i wasnt cut out for sales. To be a true salesman, you have to be able to tolerate ridiculous offers (...questions or demands....) from ridiculous people with a smile and a kind reply to even the most ridiculous of comments or demands (...and offers...). I learned i couldnt do that workin in a full service service station when i wuz about 17 or so. Thats been a long time ago.

Havin said all that; there (...in relatively rare instances, thankfully...) is some sad and hurtful truths about the character of sellers (...and possibly buyers...) even here on TGO. I've seen some ridiculous asking prices for items, and ive personally experienced some sorry b*****ds doin some selling. I wont name names (...by the way, its none of the posters to this thread...); but ya know who you are.

As to the selling thing; I'm ok with ridiculous asking prices; but sellers posting these prices shouldnt be surprized when folks arent interested.

As to sorry dealings, i would advise against doin 'em. I once made the mistake if trying to help a seller on this forum by meeting him after his work time; only to have him sell the item that i was interested in. He reminded me that "a deal is a deal" and that he owed me no preferential treatment even though i had tried to accommodate his schedule. That action and attitude is, at best, bad manners; and at worst, is trashy and unethical behavior by human excrement. As ya can see, all this stuff cuts two ways.

The bottom line is simply this (...for me, anyway...): List an item for a fair price. Deal fairly. Tell the truth. Do what ya say you will do.

I've met some delightful, honest folks on this forum selling various items. I've also been exposed to some sorry excrement as well. It's the full spectrum of the human condition. This forum (...sadly...) is no exception.

leroy

(...now there's a "real" rant!!!...)

Edited by leroy