Reloads at the Nashville Armory

Guest Brian Manookian

Guest Brian Manookian

Hello All,

I just ran across one of today's earlier threads on reloading at the Nashville Armory. As one of the two owners of the Nashville Armory, I thought I'd do what I can to clarify our policy on reloads.

Not to begin by boring anyone with business details, but we have one million dollars plus invested just in the range side of this operation (bullet traps, baffles, advanced wireless targetry, ballistic clear stalls, HVAC, etc). The installers from Action Target have repeatedly commented that this is the most sophisticated indoor range in the country at this time. Not surprisingly, the bank issuing the loan on these fixtures requires us to carry insurance on everything on the range. Our insurance policy expressly prohibits reloads.

I've gathered that this is a somewhat emotional issue for a segment of shooters. It's not for us. It's strictly an insurance deal. Until we own the improvements free and clear, we don't really have a choice in the matter. It's not an indictment of the safety of reloading, the quality of reloads, or reloaders themselves. My personal opinion squares with what some of you have written: I would trust a responsible reloader over certain store bought ammo.

I've made this offer before, and I'll make it again. If you've decided against checking us out solely on a principle that's dictated to us by financial institutions and insurance policies; come in anyway; find me; and I will personally spot you enough of your chosen caliber to enjoy a session on the range.

Thanks to all of you. I'm looking forward to opening at the end of the month and meeting you all.

Brian Manookian

Edited by Brian Manookian

I've made this offer before, and I'll make it again. If you've decided against checking us out solely on a principle that's dictated to us by financial institutions and insurance policies; come in anyway; find me; and I will personally spot you enough of your chosen caliber to enjoy a session on the range.

Thanks to all of you. I'm looking forward to opening at the end of the month and meeting you all.

Brian Manookian

Brian, That is quite the generous offer. :up: I look forward to your grand opening.

Brian, please accept my sincerest apology for the thread that I started earlier today. I never dreamed it would go in the direction that it did. I was just devastated to learn that this new, state of the art range would not be available to me because I shoot reloads. I do understand why you have taken the position that you have and I will still be by there to check out this fantastic inventory that you guys are teasing us with!

I hope that I haven't caused too much damage. I will not take up your most generous offer though. If I decide to shootb there it will be on my dime. You don't owe me or anyone else here anything.

I wish you all the best with this business!

God Bless

David aka Volzfan

• Like 2

I need to sate I should not have posted anything about a range I am 99% sure I will never use seeing where it is located in relation to where I live.

My first intent was to not skirt any rules but only ask how. I felt a slight attack from one poster and then I pushed the issue to open the eyes of some.

I was wrong in doing so.

I tend to type in few words and forget others can not read my mind.

I'm looking forward to the big opening. Seems like it's gonna be a really big deal.

I probably won't do too much shooting there (membership elsewhere), but it's nice knowing it's an option. Maybe some cold Jan/Feb or some scorching hot July/Aug day, I won't wanna shoot outdoors. Springing for factory ammo for a change might be worth it.

One thing I'm sure of, they'll get a lot more of my money with fair gun/gear pricing than they'd ever get in range fees regardless of the bank/insurance rules.

Welcome Brian and best of luck

Guest Riverrat

I was going to post on the other thread, since my post would make sense there. But someone boarded the door. Welcome Brian to the TGO. If I ever get to Nashville I'll look you up. We shoot behind the barn. No port a potty in site. My son invites girls over all the time to shoot. No set rules for who uses what side of the barn.

• Administrator

I was going to post on the other thread, since my post would make sense there. But someone boarded the door. Welcome Brian to the TGO. If I ever get to Nashville I'll look you up. We shoot behind the barn. No port a potty in site. My son invites girls over all the time to shoot. No set rules for who uses what side of the barn.

I'm not even sure what this means???

Brian,

Thanks for coming in a posting to clear up the crux of the issue. As I stated in the other thread, I won't be using your range, as I'm already a member of 2 other indoor ranges, but I will definitely be frequenting your shop as you will be 10 minutes from my office and less than 5 minutes from a friend's house.

Your offer was completely over the top, and it says volumes about what you're willing to do to make sure your customers are happy. Thank you for that, and I very much look forward to stopping by!

Good luck with the big opening, and I'll definitely be there somewhere in the big crowd supporting my local shops.

Mac

aka Bill Smith

It does look like you guys are building a first-class operation. The possibilities of having a great indoor handgun and rifle range within 10 minutes of downtown Nashville is fantastic. I plan to buy a membership for me and my wife if the final product is as promised.

Edited by quietguy
  • Like 1

Brian,

That is a very generous offer. You are a gentleman Sir.

While I would personally decline, I do plan to load up on some factory ammo I have hanging around and driving over one of these days to check out your facility.

We all have guidelines that we have to follow, both in our working relationships and our personal lives. I appreciate the challenges you guys face.

Your seems to be a business I'd like to support & I look forward to meeting you and the staff.

J.

I am just now aware of the "no reloads policy." I am disappointed but that won't stop me of coming in (just because I'm not buying anything doesn't mean I don’t go into other business establishments). The selection, prices and people will decide if I come back.... For what it's worth, the people are already impressing me (even if you don't give me free ammo LOL)! Good luck in your new business!

No problem here i used to shoot only reloads,now only factory ammo. Have seen too many nightmares in forty years including my own reloads.

They range from squibs to a buddy have a 12g come apart in his face duck hunting one hour from a hospital. I know most people are careful

reloading,but it is the 2percent that you hear about. Range has a central location from me and everything on website looks good.

More to the point:

What indoor ranges in the local area DO allow reloads for the general public? I don't mean "Joe knows me so Joe lets ME shoot MY reloads" situations. Since it's a building and it's got to meet code, it's going to have air handlers and backdrops and automatic target movers and be financed with bank money and bankers are notoriously risk averse.

I imagine the insurance liability costs would be the same for any indoor range. I don't think anyone here would be willing to pay the cost for range time to shoot reloads that takes into account the increased expense for insurance that would be required.

Therefore, it's not the range owner that's costing you, it's the lawyers and the bankers who are calculating the risk and the cost of the risk for a general public that sues at the drop of a hat.

I'm thinking that putting in an indoor range inside the city limits of any Tennessee city is making a huge investment. I think it's a little unfair to be tearing up the new guy over -- kind of a non-issue. It's like griping about dating a beautiful girl who's daddy doesn't let her date rough boys and makes her come home at 10 p.m. Don't be a rough boy and get her home by 10 p.m.!

Reloads at outdoor ranges -- up against a bulldozed backdrop -- on a neighbor's land -- where if your bad reload blows gun parts into the side of your face it's your own damn fault and you can just go and sue yourself. I hope you win, but the lawyers will still take 30 percent so you might want to make it a short trial.

I'm thinking that putting in an indoor range inside the city limits of any Tennessee city is making a huge investment. I think it's a little unfair to be tearing up the new guy over -- kind of a non-issue. It's like griping about dating a beautiful girl who's daddy doesn't let her date rough boys and makes her come home at 10 p.m. Don't be a rough boy and get her home by 10 p.m.!

Nice.

Guest NashvilleArmory

Guys, we appreciate your comments, and we're looking forward to having many of you with us this next week for the opening. Someone mentioned hoping our gear and firearms prices would be reasonable, and we're striving to make that the norm. If there are ever concerns, suggestions, or just general observations...please feel free to reach out to us. We welcome your feedback, and we want to be as transparent as possible. And we want this range to be everything it should be, and is going to be.

We feel certain this will be the start of something good for all of us.

I still don't see the connection between reloads and risk to range equipment.

Doesn't matter. It is his insurance company that is making that decision for him.

I am sure they wanted to allow reloads but unfortunately the insurance is the limiting factor, not the owner's decision. I am sure they did not want start out by limiting their customer base but it is what it is. I would rather have a nice, high tech range in my area that you can't shoot reloads in than to have no range at all. Also, they have been more than accomodating enough to us reloaders IMHO.

These gentlemen have made a considerable investment of money, stress and time into starting this range. They are filling a gap and in this day and age of seeing ranges closing every single day it seems I am glad to see one opening for once. And even though I reload everything I shoot I would be glad to go there and buy factory ammo to support them in their endeavor.

We, as gun owners (me included), like to complain a lot. Issues big and small we complain about often to no end. Sometimes it is warranted but in this case it is not. Think about this as well, they are supporting this site with their sponsorship. And without sponsors like Nashville Armory this site would likely not be what it is today. So before we go chastising a company, that supports us and the shootign sports, over something small we need to take a look at what they bring to the big picture. And what they bring is far outweighs the issue of being able to shoot reloads.

Dolomite

• Like 4

Doesn't matter. It is his insurance company that is making that decision for him.

I am sure they wanted to allow reloads but unfortunately the insurance is the limiting factor, not the owner's decision. I am sure they did not want start out by limiting their customer base but it is what it is. I would rather have a nice, high tech range in my area that you can't shoot reloads in than to have no range at all. Also, they have been more than accomodating enough to us reloaders IMHO.

These gentlemen have made a considerable investment of money, stress and time into starting this range. They are filling a gap and in this day and age of seeing ranges closing every single day it seems I am glad to see one opening for once. And even though I reload everything I shoot I would be glad to go there and buy factory ammo to support them in their endeavor.

We, as gun owners (me included), like to complain a lot. Issues big and small we complain about often to no end. Sometimes it is warranted but in this case it is not. Think about this as well, they are supporting this site with their sponsorship. And without sponsors like Nashville Armory this site would likely not be what it is today. So before we go chastising a company, that supports us and the shootign sports, over something small we need to take a look at what they bring to the big picture. And what they bring is far outweighs the issue of being able to shoot reloads.

Dolomite

+1. Any bank and insurance company will strive to write a policy to minimize risk of loss. It doesn't have to make sense to the consumers and the owners/investors are at their mercy in order to obtain the proper permits to open or stay open.

• Like 1