Which should I pick up as my first smart phone?

Guest Smitty

First smart phone choice?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I pick up as my first smart phone?

• Any current Android phone
    • iphone 5

Guest Smitty

Just a quick poll off topic. I have finally been persuaded to upgrade to a smartphone. I was pondering getting either the new iphone 5 or one of the newer android phones such as the samsung galaxy s3 or htc one x. I wanted to know your oplnions, recommendations, and/or experiences with these devices before I make my decision soon. Thanks everybody! I hope this doesn't start a technology war. :P

It would be helpful to better understand how you intend to use the phone, what features are important to you, do you already have other Apple products, etc?

I went through the same decision process earlier this year and decided to go Android and went with a Razr Maxx since it better suited my needs.

Edited by Trekbike

As a current Droid owner I recommended the iPhone. Plain and simple, Apple products just work. I'm tired of all the reboots, programs hanging and all the other stuff I would expect out of a Windows product. As soon as my contract expires I am going back to the iPhone.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I got a new Samsung Galaxy 3S for my new work phone, and I really like it. One downside to the phone is the size. While the huge screen is great, it can get a little cumbersome at times carrying it on my belt. The Otterbox makes it even bigger.

Edited by mav

Like was said before, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a tinkerer and want to get inside it and make tweeks and such, then Android. If you want a smartphone that's easy to use and just plain works, then iPhone. Because of Android's open source OS, you'll find apps that can tweek pretty much every part of the OS and the phone. iPhone is more "locked down" in some areas, which helps keep it more stable because apps can't access certain core parts of the OS.

I like what Android offers, freedom from iTunes. I am fairly anti-Apple, but I respect Apple. They birthed this technology, and Apple vs Android competition will cause both sides to keep striving for supremacy, and ultimately we're all winners.

I got the latest "Google Phone" last December upon its debut - the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It came with then brand new Ice Cream Sandwich. Being the Google Phone, it was supposed to get Android updates asap, but I just finally got the Verizon-provided update to Jelly Bean this week. Most users have been steamed it took this long. A friend of mine has the same phone (it's his 4-5th smartphone and my first). He recently got the Galaxy S3, but still likes the Galaxy Nexus better and is selling the new S3. The Google Phone doesn't have the OEM installed "bloatware" that the other Samsung models have (or other brands of Android phones).

I am rather bent out of shape at the moment. My Samsung TV purchased in February started dying in under a month. My Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago started acting very bizarre. It locked and rebooted itself 50-60 times in an 8 hr period. I wiped it and started over with a fresh O/S installation, and that made it worse. Oddly enough, after about 8 more hours, it started worked again and is totally fine now. In the meantime, Verizon shipped me a replacement Galaxy Nexus. That POS wouldh't hold a network OR call signal for more than a minute at a time. Reading online about it, it appears that is a very common problem with the refurb replacements. Though my phone is really awesome and does everything I want it to, I have this sinking feeling that if it dies for good, will I get a replacement that actually works? Who is more to blame for crappy refurbs? Verizon or Samsung? I don't know.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten the Droid Razr Maxx.

IMO, Androids are like 1911s. Some people say they are finicky at times and require "more maintainance." But when they are working right, they are awesome. Glocks are everywhere like iPhones. Glock and Apple owners both think their poop don't stink. But iPhones and Glocks run like a charm nearly all the time. And there are tons of accessories for iPhones and Glocks both from Apple/Glock and good 3rd parties. Those Android people that gotta be different and be free from the constraints of Apple software don't have near as much "aftermarket" support depending on exactly which Android phone you choose.

I was so glad my brother stepped in and told my dad to get an iPhone earlier this year. He's not called me for tech support once. Originally, he was looking at Verizon's Android offerings.

My next phone will be another Android, but when someone wants something "rock solid" I point them to the iPhone.

I voted Android. Admittedly, I'm not the most savvy guy about technology. That said, my impression has always been that with Apple products are for people who want to pay $$$ for a style factor and then get stuck with proprietary software. I've had two android phones now (my wife is now using the one I had first), and I've found the android system to be very user friendly. Many of the apps are available for free. I'm currently using a Casio Commando phone which is water and shock resistant. I carry it mountain biking, hiking, running etc... and it still looks and works great. It's been sweated on, dropped in puddles, and kicked. Still looks practically new.

I would get an iPhone. It's compatible with windows computers if you have one. Sure it still uses iTunes, but with the new IOS system almost all data can be transferred wirelessly, music, apps, everything is stored on a free cloud server. All you have to do is sign up for a free Apple ID. I've never used an Android that I thought was even close to the iPhone is comparability.

I just changed my vote to iPhone. I have the Droid Bionic with Verizon and it's a great phone.....when it works. I am constantly dropping my data connection as well as the wifi connection. Supposedly when the new software update (been waiting on this for months now) comes out this will be fixed. It will also randomly shut off after being inactive for a certain amount of time. If Androids were as stable an the iPhone then I would say Android all the way; no contest. The fact is they are not. IPhone wins.

As a current Droid owner I recommended the iPhone. Plain and simple, Apple products just work. I'm tired of all the reboots, programs hanging and all the other stuff I would expect out of a Windows product. As soon as my contract expires I am going back to the iPhone.

THIS. I have had an iPhone. Switched to a Samsung Galaxy S (Android) when I switched carriers. Ordered an iPhone 5 a few minutes ago. I'm gonna shoot the droid with my .458 SOCOM.

• Like 1

Iphone. We are developers. We develop for iPhones, iPads, Android phones and tablets and WP7. iPhones are more stable, easier to use for the average consumer and have more apps available. UI and apps are generally what makes a person either like or dislike a phone. Apple is hard to beat in those two categories. YMMV

I use Apple products because like others have said, they just plain work.

There newest phones don't have everything some Android phones do, but then again, you hardly hear of issues with the more stable iOS.

In my opinion -- Apple doesn't release a feature unless is works 100% of the time.

I like my iPhone -- I don't do much with it, but it has never failed me. With that much success, I see no reason to switch.

Putting this in gun terms ...

Android = 1911 (Unique - Fully Customizable, but many have their fair share of problems)

iPhone = Glock (Boring - It just plain works) <-- I went this route :)

Edited by xRUSTYx

I used an Iphone 4 for about 20 months before the Iphone 5 was offered for pre-order. I traded the IPnone 4 16 Gig for a IPhone 5 16 Gig for $53, plus tax and accessories. The Iphone 4 never gave any problems and I really like the Iphone 5. The ATT store sales person said they send the trade-ins back to Apple. I purchased OtterBox Defenders for both phones and the old phone was like new when uncovered.

I will qualify my vote. As said, the Iphone usually is very stable and works very well and very intuitively. If you are just a normal user, you won't go wrong with one. Actually, you will enjoy it. On the other hand, if you are a geek or advanced user, android is a more capable platform. Apple does control the software to a greater degree than OEM's that use android. This has the effect of limiting you to a degree, but also providing a very stable (if vanilla) experience. Of course you can jailbreak, but then you might as well go Android at that point. It all comes down to the kind of user you are. Three year olds to grandma's can use the Iphone. :0)

Guest uofmeet

I Vote Iphone. It is simple and it works.

Droid's are not a windows product. Just letting you know.

Just got the iPhone 5 in the mail yesterday. I'm liking it so far but it's important to realize that for the most part what one smart phone can do so can another.

For me the reasoning behind the iPhone was simple, they just work and are easy to operate even for me someone who doesn't understand or care much about tech. The iPhone=Glock annolagy was pretty well said IMO. I don't need an instruction manual, I just figure it out, when I get really stuck I just hold down the idiot button and ask Siri to do it for me.