Inside Waist Band Carry uncomfortable.

Ive tried inside waist band carrying in all positions, but I cannot find a spot where the gun doesnt poke the heck out of my gut and side. STanding isnt so bad but sitting and bending over hurts.

How do you guys do it? Ive found pocket carrying is really comfortable for me. I took a cheapo holster and trimmed it down to fit my pockets, I can carry my full size ruger with no problems this way. The grip shows but my shirts cover it with little printing. Anyone else have trouble carrying inside the wasitband? heres my pocket carry setup. I like it but it's not a true conceal.

IMG950052.jpg

IMG950053.jpg

How do I do it...... I don't. I used too, but like you I just find it uncomfortable. It really requires you to buy pants a size bigger, so then if you don't carry IWB then those pants don't fit right.

I have just gone to OWB almost exclusively. When I didn't carry IWB I found the Comp-Tac MTAC holster to be pretty comfortable.

MTAC.jpg

• Like 1

My crossbreed super tuck with full size sigs is very comfortable. I carry it in the 4 to 5 o'clock position. However I don't carry a rear wallet, but rather a money clip in the front. I am a big ole boy, don't know if the extra stuffing helps too.

• Like 3
Guest dfsixstring

I also am a Comp-Tac IWB user. It can be uncomfortable depending on the pants worn. Slightly oversize helps, but the cut also affects comfort. Most new styles are tighter and slimmer. I have to get relaxed fit to IWB.

Because of this one fact, I am also looking for a new OWB holster for my EDC.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

The CompTac MTAC I've been using for almost 7 years took days to find the spot that worked for me. Using the adjustments I'd fiddle with it until I found something that worked and was confortable. I personally hate OWB carry as I tend to hit my elbow on the gun...

Guest Gen. Patton

IWB is an acquired taste but once you get used to it it's kind of difficult to go back. The post earlier about hitting the elbow on the gun is spot-on as a reason to go IWB. Luckily when I started to carry as a civilian it was at a point in my life that I was getting back into shape. Less gut helps a lot with IWB holstering; my draw is slightly quicker too. I carry a .45 S&W 1911 on my strong side and an extra magazine on my other side. Galco makes a good IWB holster and magazine holder. I have a special place in my heart for winter because the weather is cooler allowing me to wear long pants which allows me to carry my back-up on my ankle! Now that I think about it if someone wanted to consign themselves to wearing pants year round an ankle holster would avoid the waist all together.

I carry just slight to the right of small of the back with a n82 tactical its the most comfortable combination I have found. Sitting driving or bending over are no issues with it and I draw better from there.

I IWB carry a lot. I find it most comfortable with a low-riding soft holster and about 4-O'clock position. I usually carry a smaller gun than your Ruger, though (P238, P3AT or PF9). Sometimes, I'll IWB HK USP compact in a Don Hume. I have to have a holster that sits low for it to be comfy. I like for the grip to ride right along the top of my belt

I always wear an undershirt to tuck behind the gun/holster so it doesn't rub my skin off. Then an outer untucked shirt conceals. I don't buy bigger pants. I just loosen my belt one notch.

• Like 1

Not sure what you've tried but keep at it and you'll find what works for you. One thing you probably already know, that Ruger is about as big as a carry gun gets. It's a monster. Something with a lot of leather against your body and two supports would be my recommendation. A Crossbread or one of the knockoffs shoul do.

-southernasylum

I have a Glock 23 that I would love to carry, but have never been successful with OWB or IWB carry. I have an MTAC but it still dug the dickens out of my side. I dress fairly light, so OWB always shows. Glock stays in gunsafe and a S&W 642 rides in my front pocket in a GALCO Pro 158 leather pocket holster. This combo works with everything I wear, including my bathrobe at night!

Edited by wjh2657

This (TT Gunleather) behind hip at about 4:30 has always been just fine, no probs with movement or sitting. So was the Bullard Dual Carry I used before it, I just prefer loops instead of clips.

tt1.jpg

3" barrel though. While it's just as easy to hide a longer barrel, it can definitely make a diff when you sit

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

What holster did you try?

While I don't think anything will be COMFORTABLE in the truest sense of the word, your belt and holster choice matter for sure.

As noted above, you want a leather barrier and two supports to spread the load.

AND A GOOD BELT.

I have a Stiff Wilderness Instructor Belt that makes a big difference as it even further distributes the load.

I found that with a good belt, I didn't have to tighten it as much.

And I carry a full size....Glock 17

Is that a Ruger P-series? I feel sure carrying that boat anchor IWB would get tiring and uncomfortable. I have one.

When I carry IWB, I use a Crossbreed supertuck for my PT145. Like others have said, it took a little time to find the sweet spot and get the holster molded to my side. Having a real gun belt and pants sized appropriately (~2" larger in the waist) helps immensely. Most of the time I pocket carry a P3AT. It's so much more convenient, especially with my small kids.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a convertible IWB/OWB like OS's. Those are sweet.

Edited by peejman

I hate IWB carry and honestly see no reason to try to do it, really. I am very warm natured so when the weather is cool enough I generally wear a t-shirt with an unbuttoned shirt, fleece vest or similar over it, anyway so I can 'shed' the outer garment if I am in a warm house. With such a setup and my build, I can hide pretty much any of my carry guns (even my Ruger P95) quite well in a good OWB holster. In warmer weather, I generally end up carrying one of my small guns (P3AT or 642) in a small, OWB holster that will hide even under just a long t-shirt or in a pocket holster.

I have found that I can do a sort of pseudo-IWB carry for the P3AT on the rare occasions when I need deeper concealment and pocket carry won't work (like when I am going somewhere that I need to wear thin, dress slacks and a tucked in shirt.) On such occasions, I wear a very thin 'A-shirt' type undershirt tucked in under a belly band. I wear the belly band low enough that the grips of the little .380 ride just above my pants, pretty much in the same position as IWB carry. I can then tuck my dress shirt in over the belly band/pistol and it pretty much disappears. I don't know why this is so much more comfortable, for me, than an actual IWB holster but it is - and I'm still not sure that anything bigger than the P3AT would work.

I am, how do you say?, a little on the heavier side and I absolutely hate IWB carry. I have recently ordered a RKBA kydex OWB holster and love it. I can't even tell I have it on sometimes and it doesn't print anymore than an IWB would on a guy my size. Check em out if you get the chance.