Tennessean writing about AR-15, similar rifles

Guest brianhaas

The Tennessean's chosen alternative gun story for the Sunday Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130106/NEWS0201/301060068/Move-arm-teachers-picks-up-steam-TN?nclick_check=1

I have not yet analyzed this story paragraph by paragraph and sentence by sentence for balance.

My first impression is that the Tennessean thinks "It's a Bad Idea" to have guns in schools and has dragged out old discredited "you'll shoot your eye out" memes to reinforce this Bad Idea. The journalists have selected subjects & quotes, and have used primacy and latency and other techniques, to reinforce the "Guns in Schools is a Bad Idea" point of view.

I will also go in search of the inevitable Gail Kerr foaming-at-the-mouth anti-gun editorial.

Sooooo, what is the Tennessean's Sunday circulation versus its weekday circulation?

In my Opinion, Brian Haas is an honest journalist and a good "piano player."

However, in my Opinion, Brian Haas is playing his piano in a Whore House, owned by a company that runs an unsalvageable chain of Whore Houses.

• Like 1

Quoted mostly anti-gun folks as usual.  Mentioned Mt Juliet as offering free Concealed-Carry training for teachers.  Quoted Haslam and Harwell as saying they would prefer a government program to provide new police officers for schools.  Gee, who would have thought they would want a huge government program with lots of additional spending and new government employees!

They did mention three bills that would provide school security.  Campfield's bill to provide three options is obviously the best, so it's a sure bet that it will be tabled.  His options are: 1)  school provides an armed resource officer.  2)  School allows teachers with CCW to carry.  or, 3)  School accepts all liability.

I think I would rather have Haslam pushing for armed guards than jumping on the gun control bandwagon. There's some opposition to arming teachers that's not related to the gun haters. I'm not sure where I stand on it, but I know it's there.

The good news is that there are steps being taken to secure schools. Every time that happens, it's a solid vote against the gun grabbers.

I'm of the belief that the only reason The Tennessean endorsed Mitt Romney was to try and get back their readers who left due to their extremely liberal viewpoints. I look forward to reading your article, but it will be a cold day in hell before I ever give those leftist a dime of my money. I just believe in NOT trusting the liberal media.
  • Like 2
I find it interesting that the journalist who wrote the story is ignorant to the meaning of the word "marksmen". They state the bills would allow "untrained marksmen" to carry in schools, but the very term "marksmen" means one who is trained and accurate with a firearm.
  • Like 2

I find it interesting that the journalist who wrote the story is ignorant to the meaning of the word "marksmen". They state the bills would allow "untrained marksmen" to carry in schools, but the very term "marksmen" means one who is trained and accurate with a firearm.

People and their online thesauruses....and no, not you mykltn.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130107/NEWS02/301070017/AR-15-rifle-lands-center-gun-debate-U-S-?nclick_check=1

If that's the whole article, my initial reaction is that it's above all quite brief - Brian, you wrote more here than there. :)

Seems fairly balanced, and with the added video emphasis,  might even be perceived to lean slightly "our" way if anything.

Good non-biased wrap with the psychologist urging each side to understand the other.

Would have liked to have seen at least a brief mention of the Constitution, though, and the real reason firearm ownership is specifically granted therein. Understanding that is the ultimate valid answer to "why does anyone need an AR-15".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

well done Brian.  And as usual, exactly what you said it would be.  

The liberal quotes really drive home the emotion-driven, fear-based root of their view.  "these guns are made for killing" even though only 3 out of tens of thousands have killed in years.   "the only reason one can give is I want it" --- which is the same that can be said of cell phones, TV sets, sports cars, and just about anything that is not food, clothing, or shelter....   are we really saying it is acceptable to ban anything that is a luxury, that one must produce a NEED to posess any item?  That is...huge.   I need my AR-15 more than any liberal needs a joint, or a cell phone, or a car.  While possible, one can hunt with a car, but its not really recommended, I will keep the AR and the libs can hunt with their cars if they want.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
The article appears to be fair and balanced to me. I think it was obvious Brian tried to remain as neutral as possible.

When describing the shooting in Aurora, saying the shooter "sprayed" the theater was a little much. Simple words like that lend to the common misconception that AR-15s are fully-automatic. But maybe I was trying too hard to find something wrong with the article. Edited by TripleDigitRide

lots of buildup here for what seems the same old same old story.

Interesting in the video it shows people going downrange and the sound of gunfire still going on.  I am guessing the average person will think people do that while the range is hot.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

lots of buildup here for what seems the same old same old story.

Interesting in the video it shows people going downrange and the sound of gunfire still going on. I am guessing the average person will think people do that while the range is hot.

I can't watch the video from my phone, but funny you mention that.

I told a friend of mine that he should get a membership to that range due to its close proximity to his home. He called me to say that he wouldn't be joining because he witnessed people walking down rage while others continued to blast away. Edited by TripleDigitRide

Truth.  They have actually publicly announced they will not drop AR's from their offerings.

Mac

The local walmart manager has the authority to choose what is sold in the store (from a big master list of all wal mart brands/items).   A LOCAL walmart manager could decide to drop ARs and get some news story on it, regardless of the corporate policy.   A few may have done so in the liberal states (???) but I dunno, I do not pay much attention to walmart apart from buying ammo there once in a blue moon (They do not carry the .22 LR that I like and I make everything else, so I buy their 22 once in a while when nothing else can be had...)

The local walmart manager has the authority to choose what is sold in the store (from a big master list of all wal mart brands/items).   A LOCAL walmart manager could decide to drop ARs and get some news story on it, regardless of the corporate policy.   A few may have done so in the liberal states (???) but I dunno, I do not pay much attention to walmart apart from buying ammo there once in a blue moon (They do not carry the .22 LR that I like and I make everything else, so I buy their 22 once in a while when nothing else can be had...)

I didn't know that about the local stores having priority, just that WalMart corporate said they will still sell them the same day that Dick's "bailed out."

Just an observation, but there has never been a more aptly named store than "Dick's."  And I came to that conclusion LONG before the latest travesty.

Mac

• Like 1