The Walking Dead - Season 3.5

I'm just ready for the Gubnor & Andrea to die & Woodbury to burn, I'm tired of that thread of the story line. They need to leave the false security of the prison and get a move on. I don't wanna see them raisin turnips, beets & carrots in the courtyard I want zombie brain matter to sprayeth forth. They should caravan up again & have a destination to head toward, they're at west central prison in Georgia.. why not go to 250mi st. simon island or something like that area. I need to know how zombies are gonna operate aquatically. 

From a facebook friend of mine. Names changed to protect the innocent:

<<Mary>>

In the same breath, James expressed joy and excitement that "The Walking Dead" is on tonight, then proceeded to to state that he was no longer interested in "Once Upon A Time" because it's too "far-fetched." Uh...what?

... I need to know how zombies are gonna operate aquatically.

J.L. Bournes' Day By Day series addresses that quite well.

Yeah, so did World War Z. But a cleared island would certainly cut down on how many you would ever face. Just the occasional strays walking up out of the bottom. You could never feel safe in the water again unless you were in deep though.

The ultimate suspension of disbelief regarding zeds I can't get around is the fact that they don't simply rot away. There's never really been a satisfactory "scientific" explanation given in any of the zed lore to account for it.

- OS

If a shark ate a zombie would it turn?

What about just all the small nibbler fish that would nip at any rotten meat ambling by?

Think of all the South American zombie piranha there would be from stray zeds wandering into the rivers there!

- OS

Most pop culture has stated that the reason they don't rot as fast is because the virus alters the genetics in such as way to make them resistant to bacteria.  Yeah, I know.

Also, Day by Day explains they do rot relatively quickly, the problem is really the irradiated ones because in that world the big cities were nuked...so the zombies from the radiated areas don't decay hardly at all.

But again I say...WTF is up with gun registration in Rick's hometown?

Edited by atlas3025

What about just all the small nibbler fish that would nip at any rotten meat ambling by?

Think of all the South American zombie piranha there would be from stray zeds wandering into the rivers there!

- OS

sounds like a movie on sci-fi

theres no way I would have stopped for that backpacker, he is either a cold blooded psychopath or like someone else said, to stupid to find a car and drive, either way he is no good to me... his backpack on the other hand...

and Michonne is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters

Edited by hlb14

Most pop culture has stated that the reason they don't rot as fast is because the virus alters the genetics in such as way to make them resistant to bacteria.  Yeah, I know.

Also, Day by Day explains they do rot relatively quickly, the problem is really the irradiated ones because in that world the big cities were nuked...so the zombies from the radiated areas don't decay hardly at all.

But again I say...WTF is up with gun registration in Rick's hometown?

Some places in the U.S require the local sheriff to sign off on gun permits, purchases, etc. I'm sure. I don't think that is the case in GA but they just needed something to tie in the fact that Rick knew where some were. As with all the other gun stuff most folks won't know that.

can someone please explain to me, though, about zombie's sleeping?  many episode you see them and they "wake up" when they hear a noise?  I don't get it.  They can live without food and water, but need to catch 40 winks?  Is there any logic behind it?

can someone please explain to me, though, about zombie's sleeping?  many episode you see them and they "wake up" when they hear a noise?  I don't get it.  They can live without food and water, but need to catch 40 winks?  Is there any logic behind it?

They go dormant in the absence of stimuli.  Again, a fairly common zombie apoc trope. 

So i like that the reintroduced morgan last night but it seemed so over the top..especially that of ALL the zombies in the world, his undead wife was the one who got his son. I mean, seriously? I guess zombies know irony.

Also, they only took what appeared to be a handful of weapons from the place. I haven't rewatched yet to inventory but wtf..... they certainly could have taken 3 times the amount they did and STILL leave him stockpiled enough to stop an invasion.

But, at the end of the day it's a show....and the writers probably aren't gun guys.

If Morgan and Duane had been clearing the town for a little while, they could have thinned the herd down a lot. There weren't a whole lot of walkers left in the town. If he intentionally left his wife walking, it's feasible that she'd find Duane.

I thought the same thing with the guns. Morgan has an arsenal up there, so they took one duffel bag? Oh, and Rick one-hands it. Not a whole lot of ammo in there....

• Like 1

All in all, I thought last night's episode was one of the best in a while.  There were a couple of points (most of which have already been mentioned) that bothered me, though - and I think I have resolved a couple of them for myself.

1.  The whole, "I know about those guns because I signed the permits," thing.  He wasn't talking about carry permits (I think that Georgia does still have local Sheriffs grant carry permits.)  Instead, he was talking about permits to own the guns and keep them in their place of business.  I am pretty sure that, like Tennessee, there is no such permit and none required.

How I resolved it for myself:  I seem to recall Kirkman stating - maybe on one of the Talking Dead segments - that this show takes place in a reality where there have never been zombie movies, books, etc.  That is why no one calls them 'zombies'.  That being the case, I guess that this alternate reality Georgia could have contracted some of the diseased gun laws that one would expect to find in Illinois, New Jersey, New York, etc.

2.  Carl dropped the picture close to the door and the zombies were right on top of it yet Michonne just walked right in and got it:

How I resolved it for myself:  Michonne told Carl to stay right there, right by the door.  In fact, Carl leaned against the outside of the door.  Therefore, all the zombies were paying attention to him (basically, he acted as bait) while Michonne slipped in, used her sword to reach in and drag the picture out, and slipped back out.  Pretty shaky explanation but its the best I've got.

3.  The hiker had survived for a year or so, already.  Not only had he survived but he actually looked relatively clean, healthy and well fed.  Then he just happened to pick the day Rick et al. encountered him to get killed.  Not only that but he got killed on a highway where it would have been difficult for slow moving walkers to have just slipped up on him.

How I resolved it for myself:  Judging by his clean, fed and relatively well rested appearance, I don't think the hiker had been on his own or on the road for very long.  I think he had been part of a group and/or at the very least had been in a settled location until just recently.  Maybe his location was overrun and (if he had a group with him) the rest of his group was killed.  Maybe he was hiding out solo and finally ran out of food so had to move. He certainly didn't have sense enough not to run around yelling (best way to attract zombies) which further makes me believe he has been 'sheltered' from the undead up to this point.

Whatever the case, I agree that he came across as someone who would be more a liability than a help.

My favorite dialogue exchange of the night (maybe slightly paraphrased):

Rick:  So we're eating his food?

Michonne: The mat said, "Welcome."

• Like 1

If Morgan and Duane had been clearing the town for a little while, they could have thinned the herd down a lot. There weren't a whole lot of walkers left in the town. If he intentionally left his wife walking, it's feasible that she'd find Duane.

I agree that this part didn't bother me.  The whole point, in fact, was that had it been any other walker Duane would have shot it and would not have been turned.  Morgan said that Duane had a pistol and that he hesitated because the walker was (or had been) his mom.  That made sense, to me.

Edited by JAB

"Only the weak survive." Now there's a depressing thought. Good episode overall though. Now if they can just keep them coming. I agree that the whole Woodberry plotline should be killed with fire. The comics did it a whole lot more justice and they ended it much better.

I seem to recall Kirkman stating - maybe on one of the Talking Dead segments - that this show takes place in a reality where there have never been zombie movies, books, etc.  That is why no one calls them 'zombies'.

See that takes all the fun out of good apocalypse. I suppose there are no preppers in Bizarro Zombieland either and no [url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/60712-small-portion-of-my-stored-ammo/"]whackos with half a million rounds of ammo they're hoarding[/url] (just kidding, jphilips63, I'm seriously jealous). 

Edited by BigK

"Clear" was one of my favorite episodes in a long time. I think this was fianally the turning point for Rick. He sees how crazy Morgan is and I believe he realizes that is his fate if he doesn't pull it together. Rick also admitted to Michonne that he "sees" people. That was probably theraputic to say out loud.

I also think this was the turning point for Michonne to be allowed into the group. She earned Carl's respect, for sure, and I think Rick too.She proved herself to be a fighter, and the group needs fighters now. There's going to be a showdown. The Governor has firepower, the group needs cunning, which she brings. I was glad to see her come out of her shell some on this episode. She is starting to loosen up. I think she may realize that she needs a group, adn she see that this one, even though they have issues, they are genuine, what you see is what you get, kind of people. Not fake like the Governor with a hidden agenda.

As far as Morgan's wife being the one who killed Duane, Remember back at the beginning of the show when Morgan brought Rick back to his house? Morgan's wife kept coming back to their house, almost as if on autopilot. Didn't Morgan say in last night's show "I went back to the cellar" kind of like meaning the cellar in his old house. If that is the case, it would make sense that they ran into his wife.

I also didn't realize the Walkers were attracted to live rats. I thought they only ate human flesh. Learned something new. Seems like MIchonne and Carl learned it too, as they used it for a diversion. Morgans spears were a clever weapon. The walkers just impale themselves. Smart.

I don't know what to think about the backpacker, it just didn't make sense to me. He survives a year and that is the day he gets eaten? Plus, no weapons I could see that were easily assessible, and he had all that crap hanging off his backpack. Might be the way you do it on a camping trip, but it clanked around and would draw attention.

I thought the same thing with the guns. Morgan has an arsenal up there, so they took one duffel bag? Oh, and Rick one-hands it. Not a whole lot of ammo in there....

I was under the impression that they took alot more. . .before Michonne and Carl went on the run they were packing stuff up. . and the back of the hyundai looked pretty full to me. . .

I also didn't realize the Walkers were attracted to live rats. I thought they only ate human flesh. Learned something new. Seems like MIchonne and Carl learned it too, as they used it for a diversion.

It showed a walker eating a cow when they were on the farm, as if they are attracted to anything living.  i've often wondered about the lack of animals running around, dogs, cats and the like