What do you say when spotted?

Guest Cogent Design

There are friends I hang around with that know I carry but to the best of my knowledge, I've never been "made" when carrying concealed (which is how I carry 99.5% of the time.

If it ever happens, however, how I'll respond will depend on where I am...out in public I will probably tell them it's my firearm; someplace more "troublesome" if someone knew I'd probably be more circumspect and say it's "personal" or something that will hopefully stop further questions. :)

I open carry at work.  I'll occasionally have someone ask "What do you have that for?"  Too which I will reply, "I spend a lot of time in remote area's, never know what you will come across out here."  I've never had anyone say anything about it in an agressive manner, usually they just want to know what kind of gun it is.  I do not make a practice of OCing in public but admittedly in the summer if I'm just wearing a Tshirt I often don't try really hard to cover up as long as I'm in a legal location.  In 9 years of carrying concealed I've been made once, which was just a few months ago.  I had just bought the suit and was wearing it for the first time.  Somehow the shoes that I bought were not the right size.  On the way to a function I swung by the Men's Warehouse in Mt. Juliet to swap out the shoes.  This new suit jacket has a tendency to get caught up on the handle of my Glock, which is carried via slide holster at 4 O'clock.  At the time I had not learned this about the garment yet.  One of the salesman approached me after I had been in the store for a minute and whispered "Hey your pistol is sticking out, check your coat tail."  The salesman was very friendly and didn't make an ordeal about it.

Guest No Ammo

I bought the matching belt with Velcro on the backside, changed out holster clips for the Velcro ones,

No clips to show, no questions asked, works great. :usa:

Heh I am missing out on some chances to exercise my sarcasm.   I have not been caught (at least, not been talked to or stared at about it) because of the few who would even notice anyway, none are going to be looking leftside pocket.

I think only gun people & the best of the best LEOs catch you.   For instance, my wife having bought enough of them to fund a small town, I pretty much instantly recognize the carry purses.   But no regular person is going to be aware of them, even though they all share a pretty common design (2 zippers/compartments up top with a thick but no way to get into it middle area... hmmm...).    The IWB hangover holsters are also obvious to gun people, while non-gun folks are probably totally baffled if they notice the clips or slight print at all.   

What I would want to say would sound too hostile, so my approach would probably be to shrug it off with a "what?!" as if carrying a gun were normal --- you know, like it was before all the stupidity.

Edited by Jonnin
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not been asked, but have had a couple of stares.  Like Jonnin pointed out, it's mostly gun people or LEO that will spot the print of a CC or tip of a barrel. 

Most of the time, if my Glock is seen would be at the check-out of a store, such as Wal-Mart, when I get my wallet or get change.  Sometimes, I intentionally put my change or keys in my left front pocket so I won't dig in my right pocket where my handgun is close.

Seldom do I open-carry, but when I do, it's normally at a gas station late in the evening and my message, I really don't want to be bothered.

I carry my glock 26 in my front pocket in a desantis nemesis.  .almost always wearing loose fitting cargo or khaki pants or cargo shorts. . so I would say "Hey take off those xray glasses" or "get your hand out of my pocket". . unless of course it were Mila Kunis. . then I would say. . "go right ahead Ms Kunis. . help yourself. . anything in or around there you like just let me know". . . yep thats how that would go. . . :cool:

Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1

When open carrying I'm always polite and honest - "It's a 1911CS chambered in .45ACP and I carry it for various reasons, not the least of which is to enable me to protect myself, my family and the people around me.." etc etc etc and answer any questions they have.  I consider myself to have more responsibility to be open and honest when I'm carrying openly and honestly - and for that reason I don't carry open very often.  I'm way too snarky for that.

I have been pondering this myself. I have always' CC'd but I have been looking for a way to "do my part" in this political climate on top of emailing,calling, and writing my officials. I decided that I would start open carrying on occasion when out in the public and all the time at work. But rather than tell folks to mind their own business I would hope to educate them or at least have a nice exchange and hope it leaves an impression. I may be daydreaming there but I can say that the few times I have done it I haven't got any negative remarks and have actually had one or two good conversations started by it.

If they do "full liberal" on me then I will tell them to go fly a kite and mind their own business....

I have been noticed, and asked about it. Course, I do not CC on a belt loop, my weight flexes a bit too much for that.  I have a fanny pack. I want my "conceal" to be obvious to those who would know (the aware criminal.)

Anyway, the fellow asked if I was carrying, and I said yes. He asked why. I stated the typical a COP is too hard to carry quip.  He then asked seriously.  I stated it was because I had been in a few places where I needed one, and did not have it. I also stated it is a responsibility I do not take lightly.  I never want to use it. But, if I need to, I want to have it available.

It blew up into a full on discussion. An intellectual one, no rage fest.  He was surprised to find out the Police have no "duty" to protect.  He was surprised at how permit holders are 14 X less likely to commit crimes than an average citizen.  He was surprised we had to have a license, go through training, and go thru a deep background check. 

Funny thing was, his wife chimed in.  She was all in favor, and said the reasons I gave were exactly the ones she had been telling him, asking him to get his own permit. I suggested they both get a permit, and do what I did, research it, know what you can and cannot do, where you can have the firearm, and where not, know the penalties of acting irresponsibly, and know the seriousness of it all. Then make the informed decision.

I think the wife got her own permit, the husband is still on the fence.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I carry my G23 OWB in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard between 3:30 and 5:00. I usually just cover it with my t-shirt and it prints like crazy, also my shirt rides up alot exposing the muzzle. It dosnt show if I have a sweater on but being from Connecticut, thats rare for me here.

Anyways, I have been carrying since last summer and no one has said anything to me yet. I have heard past stories about the Collierville WalMart having issues with carriers and Im almost sure employees have noticed my gun. No issues yet.

As far as work, I am not allowed to carry on an ambulance and company guidelines prohibit me from carrying on our property even if off duty. Funny thing is, our property isnt posted. I could lose my job but John Doe walking in for an application can carry.

What would I say? Honestly it would depend on the demeanor of who is asking me. I have no problem having a polite discussion about 2A rights and guns with strangers. I have heard many people say its no ones business why they carry. That may be the truth but these days we can not afford to dismiss questions. We risk appearing rude or worse, turning a fence sitter to the wrong side.

I am of the opinion that if you don't make a big deal of it, most others won't make a big deal of it.  If someone does and as long as your company doesn't have a policy against it, I would just simply respond I am doing nothing illegal and leave it at that.  I think typically we make it worse on ourselves by trying to justify why we carry to someone who will never understand.  Don't get sucked in.

Even with a policy against it, I'd carry. I carried at my job even though the company had a no weapons policy for employees. I figured my own personal defense was my decision and no one else's. I just carried concealed and never talked about it. I have always felt that my life is more important than someone's property, and I don't want someone explaining to my mom that I died following rules.

Edited by ab28

I carry my G23 OWB in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard between 3:30 and 5:00. I usually just cover it with my t-shirt and it prints like crazy, also my shirt rides up alot exposing the muzzle. It dosnt show if I have a sweater on but being from Connecticut, thats rare for me here.

Anyways, I have been carrying since last summer and no one has said anything to me yet. I have heard past stories about the Collierville WalMart having issues with carriers and Im almost sure employees have noticed my gun. No issues yet.

As far as work, I am not allowed to carry on an ambulance and company guidelines prohibit me from carrying on our property even if off duty. Funny thing is, our property isnt posted. I could lose my job but John Doe walking in for an application can carry.

What would I say? Honestly it would depend on the demeanor of who is asking me. I have no problem having a polite discussion about 2A rights and guns with strangers. I have heard many people say its no ones business why they carry. That may be the truth but these days we can not afford to dismiss questions. We risk appearing rude or worse, turning a fence sitter to the wrong side.

I haven't had any problems thus far with OC'ing in there. If they do just get the persons name and call the manager, after you leave of course. Their policy is to go by state law.

You could probably fit a .380 in your pocket as an EMT.