Tell me about Cookeville

Chucktshoes

• Moderators
After several false starts, the wife and I are finally getting the hell out of Memphis. Our lease here is up in May and I am now starting the job hunt for real. Cookeville has popped up on the radar and I am looking for input from any locals on the town. Schools, job market, cost of living etc. Thanks for any input.
I tried living there about 15 years ago, but there was no money to be made. I most liked the fact that it was centrally located between Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours from all three.

I found the cost of living to be little cheaper than where I was previously living in Nashville (not the greatest part of town, by any stretch), but again, there's no money. I was a driver for one of the large van lines in Nashville. I got a job with the same van lines in Cookeville, doing the same exact job, but had to take an almost $4.00/ hour pay cut. They tried to use the whole "cost of living" BS, but it wasn't that much cheaper. I suffered through a handful of jobs during a 2 1/2 year period, but finally had to come back to the Nashville area so I could make living.

I didn't have any children at the time, so I can't speak too much forth schools in that area.

When people ask about Cookeville, I always tell them it's a decent area if you're looking for a somewhat out of the way place to retire, or you have an "in" on a decent job.

What kind of work do you and the wife do?
  • Moderators
My background is in retail management, the wife is a medical assistant. To be honest, we are not set on any one city, just looking to get the hell out of Memphis and preferably out of a major metro area. Clarksville is also high on the list of possibilities.

My background is in retail management, the wife is a medical assistant. To be honest, we are not set on any one city, just looking to get the hell out of Memphis and preferably out of a major metro area. Clarksville is also high on the list of possibilities.

In my opinion, you'd be much better off in Clarksville than Cookeville.
  • Like 1
We moved from out of state to Knoxville in 2010, and absolutely loved it, it's like big town stuff to do with small town people and very little traffic.

Transferred to Nashville last year for my wife's school and do not like it here at all. Davidson county has too many taxes, people are rude and there is horrendous levels of traffic... My 10 minute commute can easily take 1 hour in afternoon rush hour.

Anyways, I would recommend something closer to Knoxville over cookeville, it's a great place to live.

Spring Hill is going nuts. Housing is low, in the process of getting two major health care facilities open (for the spouse). Health care in general is huge around here.  Also Williamson County is one of the best school districts in the state. Commuting out of here is a little slow, tack on 15 minutes to a normal ride if your going north on I65.

I've lived in a lot of middle and east Tennessee, doing a four year hitch in Cookeville.  Incidentally, I have also live in Maryville as well, since Maryville was mentioned and I will second that you should check it out I'll give you my opinion there as well.

Cookeville was one of my favorite places that I have lived, I lived there between 2004-2008.  It had everything I needed except a nice electronics store.  Crime was pretty low but 5 years ago there was a bit of a meth problem, even in town.  I worked retail in Cookeville so I can tell you a little bit about it.  Most big retail stores are on a skeleton crew there, I still have friends that I talk to in the retail business.  After working at the same store for 3 years I transferred to Nashville with the same company and job title and got a $3 raise.  It is what it is, honestly I'd rather live in Cookeville and make $3 less per hour.  I think the schools were rated pretty well in Cookeville.  When I was living there Cookeville had the 2nd lowest cost of living in America.  This generally means that rent is cheap.  You will generally pay regular price for most everything else.  Lots of opportunity in the area for outdoor activity and Bend of the River gunrange is about 10 miles out of town.  Best gun range I have ever been to, run by a retired guy that just loves guns and helping people, nothing fancy there but still my favorite range that I've ever gone to.

I lived outside of Maryville for 2 1/2 years and will be moving back to Maryville next month.  Very nice town, quiet as long as you stay out of the seedy areas.  Seems to be a decent amount of retail work and Knoxville is within commuting distance.  Can't speak as much for the job market as I was pretty much doing my own thing since before I moved there. The schools are good.  Lot's of outdoor stuff to do especially with GSMNP in your back yard.  Just bought a house in Maryville and there is a lot of good stuff out there priced competitively. 

I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you have about either city.

Cookeville is a little town, and it's a drive to any big town. I wouldn't rule out the Nashville area. You can live "out" of the big city crap, but can still get to it if you need to. Lots of retail and medical.

I've lived in real small towns, major cities, and everything in between. Nashville is about right for me. Lot's better than Memphis in a lot of ways, but you won't miss out on the good things that Memphis has to offer.

• Like 1

I agree with what 10-Ring said about Cookeville. My wife works there and we do a lot of our shopping there. Our daughter and grandson live there and really like it.

That being said, I would strongly consider areas around Knoxville as well. You should find good job opportunities for you and your wife, living areas that fit your lifestyle (whatever it may be) and good recreation areas.

Two years ago my wife was going to be transferred to Williamson county, west of Nashville, so we looked all over that area. After calculating costs we determined that it would take an increase of $6000.00 per year to maintain our current living standards. Since her employer wasn't offering any increase, we took a pass (which, for various reasons, turned out to be a great choice) and she went to work in Cookeville. Looking at living around Nashville, including things like commute times, led us to decide to stay in the upper cumberland, if possible, or move near Knoxville rather than Nashville. The proximity to the Smokies isn't a bad thing either.

When we were considering a move to Tennessee, we came down to the area for a couple of long, 4 day weekends to get a feel for what life was like here. I recommend you do the same, spend a long weekend around Nashville and Clarksville and another around Knoxville, with a little time in Cookeville. Maybe take one regular weekend at the place you seem more drawn to just to be certain.

Time is short but life doesn't have to be. Live where you enjoy and enjoy where you live while you work at what makes you happy. Spend time with those you love and make great memories with them. That's the formula for a good life worth living.

Edited by PapaB

The property tax rates are higher in Nashville than the surrounding counties, and traffic can be tough at times.  I grew up in Memphis and wouldn't go back.  Look at the surrounding counties around Nashville (Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, and Rutherford).  Look at the school systems (compare ACT test scores for various schools to see the quality of education) and tax rates.  I've never had it take an hour to go anywhere in Nashville even in rush hour traffic.  I would stay away from southeastern Davidson county though.

In my opinion, you'd be much better off in Clarksville than Cookeville.

Second that opinion. Grew up 8 miles out of Cookeville. Moved to Nasville in 75. Nice people there. Some decent jobs, I hearfrom people still living there. Population has more than doubled sine I was there, mostly from northern and eastern "refugees" moving in. A good college town. TTU was one of the premiere engineering schools for quite some time, but I don't know how it ranks now.

You say your background is in retail management? From a lay standpoint, it probably won't be a good area for you to find the kind of job I think you're wanting. There's not a lot of retail jobs in the area. Especially upper management.

Cookeville is basically a suitcase college town that has grown over the years. Size and population is about the only major change I see from the days I lived in the area.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place. Under other family circumstances, I wouldn't mind living there again. But honestly, it's no hotbed of high income jobs.

I live east of Nashville in Wilson County (Lebanon/Mt Juliet/Gladeville).. A lot of new stores are opening up due to the Providence area. The only reason I go to Nashville is to Vanderbilt Hospital. I have been here about ten years and love it.

Edited by R1100R

I live west of Nashville in Wilson County (Lebanon/Mt Juliet/Gladeville).. A lot of new stores are opening up due to the Providence area. The only reason I go to Nashville in to Vanderbilt Hospital. I have been here about ten years and love it

West? Flip your map over :)

• Like 1

When we decided to move to TN from FL seven years ago we had our hearts set on Cookeville. We had vacationed on Dale Hollow a few times and loved the Cookeville area. After talking to real estate agent he advised us that if we needed to make a living and educate our children to live around a bigger city, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville. We decided on Knoxville Area and love it. After living here and making my own obsevations I would definately agree with the agent. Only thing that sucks about East Tn is the deer hunting.

Clarksville is the bees knees.
I lived in Cookeville for 10 yrs. when we moved there it was nice and country. Has become pretty getto and trashy since then. No offense Cookeville my moms still there. If you want more country try east Tenn. Knoxville and beyond. If you want to be in a nice city I love Nashville. Been here 15yrs. South Nashville near Brentwood is nice. East Nashville is very trendy and up and coming. Going north around Greenbriar is nice and country. But in the end just head toward east of Memphis you'll like what you find.