Documents reveal more about KPD switch from .40-caliber Glock

Coastie

Like my Sigs. Like my Glocks. But this claim....don't see it. I've got a G36 that has no known round count on it. I'm the 3rd owner that I know of. It and the old square tupperware box look rough as a concob after a goat has had hold of it. But it's not given a bit of trouble ever.  I shoot it, wipe it down, literally throw it in the safe til nest use and forget about it. Cleaning? Infrequent and rudimentary at best. Field strip, wipe with a  lightly oil damped rag and go. No failures of any kind..not with me anyway. And last owner told me the same thing.

• Like 1

I called BS on this whole thing during the previous thread, but folks kept claiming it had to do with some sort of departmental certification or whatever. The simple fact is few if any of even lifer Knoxville cops are gonna wear out their Glocks and that claimed Glock "lifespan" is obvious BS2, nobody  but nobody can point to valid documentation where anybody claims that.

And all those many "failures'? I call BS3

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Not buying the story. A good way to spend money is claim safety and reliability problems. And why a dozen Sig 1911's? Who will get them?

Anyone claiming Glocks are not at the forefront of reliability and durability certainly has no credence in determining armament requirements for any department.

And yeah, let's throw in some 1911's, that need a helluva lot more TLC than a Glock for "reliability".

This is somebody's vanity project at the least, but probably a scam to make some money for someone, maybe as Dol has suggested.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

They kept saying the guns "freeze up". I'd love to know what the hell they are talking about.

Also, I was wondering why KPD would have four .22LR's. I'm trying to think of a scenario where police would find that to be useful.

They kept saying the guns "freeze up". I'd love to know what the hell they are talking about.

Also, I was wondering why KPD would have four .22LR's. I'm trying to think of a scenario where police would find that to be useful.

To quitely taking out street lights or dogs just prior to a raid.

Dolomite

You've done gone done it.

Do you know how many conspiracy threads will pop up here during the next power outage now? :tinfoil:

To quitely taking out street lights or dogs just prior to a raid.

Dolomite

Edited by strickj

I cannot tell if you are joking or not. I'm learning towards sarcasm.

I am serious. I have seen several shows where they used them to knock lights out but never actually seen them used for dogs. One show was in New Orleans and they were using suppressed 22's to kill nutria in the canals. I have talked to a game officer that used a suppressed 22 to kill nuisance deer inside the city limits.

Dolomite

I am serious. I have seen several shows where they used them to knock lights out but never actually seen them used for dogs. One show was in New Orleans and they were using suppressed 22's to kill nutria in the canals. I have talked to a game officer that used a suppressed 22 to kill nuisance deer inside the city limits.

Dolomite

Wow. In an effort to not derail the thread any further I'm going to leave this alone. But you can bet the next time we meet at Hooters I'm going to bring it up! 

By the way, I'll be in Knoxville in 2 days.  :up:

The game officer was in a town in Texas. He was using 22lr to kill deer in a city park at night. He wasn't happy with the results and was asking me for subsonic 223 load data to hopefully work better. I wound up selling him a barrel for a Savage that I had chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev. He used it to shoot heavy bulles at subsonic velocities using my load data. I talked to him a year later and was thrilled with the Tokarev once he got a suppressor. He said before some deer would not drop from head shots but with the Tokarev they almost always did.

The shows were Cops from the late 80's and early 90's. They were doing drug raids and would knock out street lights.

Here is a COPS show where they were killing nutria in NO with suppressed 22's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjgWwqho-E

Can't find any COPS episodes on YouTube where they were knocking out the street lights.

A suppressed 22 definitely has some usefullness inside a city.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
Glock does have a recommendation on the service life of their pistols. It is both a round count and year span. The round count has more to due with wear and tear on internal parts (recoil spring,etc). The older guns have a suggestion on parts to replace around 2500 rounds. The Gen 4 design improvements increase the round count to 5000 rounds and should take more punshiment. Also, The year span is more like 8-10. They are more than happy to buy LE guns back and discount new guns for purchase. I'm spitballing but they probably inspect them and resell them so they aren't any money.
Could the .22’s have been for training Police Departments scouts, a PD sponsored competition rifle team, or simply for the same reason many of us have them; cheap rifle trigger time?

Some of the most elite SWAT and HRT teams use 1911’s. I love my 1911’s, but I wouldn’t pick one as a secondary weapon. But the best trained and most respected people in that field would; so I say give them what they want.

Tear Gas??

And you need to be able to launch tear gas and burn down houses (with people in them).  Can't let ATF and FBI have all the fun!

Glad to see the launchers and sub-guns gone, but they'll just go to another "agency".

• Like 1

I figured on the low-end at $0.40 per round that comes to $120,000 worth of ammo. Add in the cash and you're at $133,500 or about $563 per gun. That's before valuing up the 630 .40-caliber Glocks, 53 12-gauge shotguns, four .22-caliber rifles, 14 submachine guns, six 37mm launchers, various gun parts

Someone got raped on this deal. Call the poli...oh...nevermind.

I'd like to think there's someone in the city's internal audit department that should be looking into this deal.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I figured on the low-end at $0.40 per round that comes to $120,000 worth of ammo. Add in the cash and you're at $133,500 or about $563 per gun. That's before valuing up the 630 .40-caliber Glocks, 53 12-gauge shotguns, four .22-caliber rifles, 14 submachine guns, six 37mm launchers, various gun parts

Someone got raped on this deal. Call the poli...oh...nevermind.

I'd like to think there's someone in the city's internal audit department that should be looking into this deal.

I'm in the wrong business.