Revolver owners undergunned?

moondawg

You raise a good point about being an acceptable round count, and that's probably what I meant to discuss...it was late and the caffeine was wearing off.  :D

There is also just the physical size and/or weight of the gun.

Arguably, my Kahr PM9 has about the same oomph as a .38. But it's a bit smaller footprint than even a Smith J Frame because it's flat, no cylinder sticking out, and gives me two more rounds also.

Now, I'd prefer to always carry my XD subcompact with 13+1, but that has to be toted IWB, and I need some deep concealment now 2-3 times a week, and I'm a creature of habit, seldom change to gun de jour, and the Kahr in a pocket does very nicely indeed, at least in cargos which I favor.

And some folks need even better concealment if they're packing in a NPE, say at some of their jobs, or simply need to wear a bit more form fitting dress pants and such, so even the smallest revolver (not counting North American Arms) or a small 9mm won't cut it, and hence the .380 mouse guns. Which still give more rounds than a J frame.

Seems that most folks who try to IWB tuck a heater of any size don't stay with it, so if they have to coat and tie it, unless they never take off their sports/suit jacket, wind up with something small in the pocket.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The best gun to have is the one you have with ya when ya need it.

leroy

The gun you have with you is the one you acquired beforehand, though.  I mean, if all you have with you is a single shot .22 short, its better than nothing.  But that is what you have with you, your choices made before the situation were, IMHO, poor.   So, before you get into a situation, you have to decide what you buy, which makes the question relevant.  All handguns are compromise, of course, but you do get to pick your platform ahead of time.

Guest ochretoe

My problem with revolvers is that (for me) they don't point naturally. In my natural grip, they are way high. Now, from my hip, they point straight, but to bring them up to "look at sights" level, I really have to lean my hand forward. If I could find grips (suggestions??) that would correct that on my old S&W 681, I'd feel much better about getting it out as a shooter.

I think this brings up a good point.  It's what you can shoot well that counts as much as rounds.  My 681 is the pistol I learned to shoot with and my first duty gun.  I can hit a cat at 50 yards. with it.  I'm a bit older than a lot of you and I think those my age learned to shoot wheel guns and that is what we are most comfortable with.  I carry a small Rossi .357 6 shot off duty.  A little bulky but I'm a big guy and can conceal it fine in shorts and tee shirt.  I don't need more than 6 rounds to feel safe off duty but I like have 16 rounds ready when on duty.  I do think that 6 180 gr. black talons will get me out of any jam I may get in.  It should at least get me to the truck and then it's a new game.

There is also just the physical size and/or weight of the gun.

Arguably, my Kahr PM9 has about the same oomph as a .38. But it's a bit smaller footprint than even a Smith J Frame because it's flat, no cylinder sticking out, and gives me two more rounds also.

Seems that most folks who try to IWB tuck a heater of any size don't stay with it, so if they have to coat and tie it, unless they never take off their sports/suit jacket, wind up with something small in the pocket.

- OS

Just to make you feel better, most every 9mm factory load is hotter than its 38 spl cousin of the same make. That taken into account, 9mm's in small packages can be a handful. It kind of comes down to higher pressures in the same gun creates more felt recoil. I can tell you 9mm in a revolver feels closer to 357 than a 38 all being shot in the same revolver. I said all of that to say this, I often carry a 5 shot revolver for comfort. Even though I have had very few troubles with pocket autos, revolvers tend to be more reliable in less than perfect grips and environments. No doubt a micro 9mm has more power and capacity, it is also harder for me to shoot.
I have had formal revolver training and I can reload quickly. (I went through the only police academy around still teaching revolvers) I only carry one reload though.

Tuckable holsters were a great idea but they just don't work on me, I am not fooling anyone. It makes me look like I am 20lbs heavier. If I am dressed up I will have a small pistol in my pocket. I have a Kangaroo holster which works pretty good, I'd just rip the shirt open to get it out.

So far, 1 round would have more than enough for me. Who knows what the future holds? It is a decision one must make for himself. Personally, if I truly thought there was going to be trouble somewhere, I wouldn't be there. If that weren't possible, I would have a rifle handy.

Hate to sidetrack but the last 2 posts bring up something I have always wondered about....

being a youngster, it sometimes seems that before about 1985 or something, almost no one had a semi auto gun.  The movies, the old magazines, everything seems to indicate that the 99% of pistols were revolvers --- even the police.  Being 70 something years since autos were introduced, I have always wondered WHY, or if that is even true or just a perception from the mainstream?

My problem with revolvers is that (for me) they don't point naturally. In my natural grip, they are way high. .

I have said this same thing about some different brands of handguns over the years. Someone told me the reason I have this problem is because I am not focusing on my front sight. I hate to say it but they were right.

I used to think a revolver was enough til a couple years ago when the Food City got robbed by a guy with a semi-auto pistol and another fellow with a shotgun.  I thought to myself "you know I probably would have just cowered and not done a thing"...a 5 shot j-frame no longer seemed like enough.  Luckily no one got seriously hurt, but now that Food City always has a cop on duty.

To me it depends.  5 rounds of 9mm or .380 would make me hesitate.  5 rounds of 125 grain JHP .357 magnum does not make me feel undergunned.

I'm with you. Ruger LCR .357 in a Blackhawk Speed Classic holster, 5 - 125g Golden Sabers. 10 more in speed strips. No worries.

But just in case, there's a KelTec P32 in my pocket :)

Edited by ttocswob

I used to think a revolver was enough til a couple years ago when the Food City got robbed by a guy with a semi-auto pistol and another fellow with a shotgun.  I thought to myself "you know I probably would have just cowered and not done a thing"...a 5 shot j-frame no longer seemed like enough.  Luckily no one got seriously hurt, but now that Food City always has a cop on duty.

Meh, unless Food City hires me as a security guard I wouldn't do anything unless my life or the life of someone I care about is being threatened, anyhow.  If the bad guys simply take the money from the tills and hit the road, I'd let them.  No skin off my back and probably safer for all concerned.

Of course, if the shooting did start then it probably wouldn't matter if I had my 5 shot j-frame or my Ruger P95 with a couple of 15 round mags.  Two guys, one with a pistol and one with a shotgun, are most likely going to kill or seriously injure me before I can neutralize both of them.  That is just the facts of life.

Likewise, if I find myself facing eight or ten assailants, all armed and determined to do me in regardless of the risk to themselves then it probably won't matter if I have a wheelgun or semi-auto pistol.  Even if all of my shots are hits, one or two of them are going to hit me before I can neutralize all of them.  Honestly, the only difference I perceive would be the number of rounds left in my gun when I get taken down.  Even a pump shotgun might not be enough to save my hide in such a situation and probably nothing short of full auto even has a chance of pulling my fat out of the fire.  Luckily, at least to my knowledge, I haven't pissed off any suicide death squads lately.

Edited by JAB

Nope I just use my Psychic powers to know when I'm not going to be assaulted by a pack of MUY and carry my revo or 1911 then. Your winning numbers today are 10  34    21   34   and 4 

Edited by Spiffy
  • Like 1

6 rounds is enough for me.  I like to sport an old school Colt .38 Agent, with a couple of speedloaders.  Plenty accurate enough for what I need it for (Half a minute of man).  Fits nicely in a coat pocket or a pants pocket or rides will on a belt.  It has a great trigger too.

Hate to sidetrack but the last 2 posts bring up something I have always wondered about....

being a youngster, it sometimes seems that before about 1985 or something, almost no one had a semi auto gun.  The movies, the old magazines, everything seems to indicate that the 99% of pistols were revolvers --- even the police.  Being 70 something years since autos were introduced, I have always wondered WHY, or if that is even true or just a perception from the mainstream?

You are correct. Semi autos were looked upon as hard to train with, and more complex as well as less reliable than revolvers. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of incidents in the late 70's or early 80's where different police departments felt undergunned while trying to subdue the perps. Then, all that wnt out the window in favor of superior firepower. Just fads if you ask me.

I have said this same thing about some different brands of handguns over the years. Someone told me the reason I have this problem is because I am not focusing on my front sight. I hate to say it but they were right.

Oh, the front sight is MUCH easier to focus on when it's elevated 30 degrees toward the ceiling, believe me! :rofl:

However, a fluorescent bulb isn't usually much of a threat compared to the guy with the hoodie on in front of me...

Maybe it's because the old-fashioned wheel guns were what I was brought up on, but I think I shoot better and am more accurate with one than an autoloader.

Not saying I prefer it over the autos, just that I really like them. 'Specially the 60/70 model Smiths. My k-frame 14/17/19 will be with me forever if I have a choice in the matter.

I have far more autos than my revolvers, but I don't think I'd willingly get rid of all of 'em.

They're just too good. 

I never feel under gunned with my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357 magnum. I carry it in a Bianchi Shoulder rig on the trail or even in the winter. It's a force of nature with heavy 357 mag rounds from buffalo Bore. 

My J frame is my concealed backup. In the summer carrying concealed is quite another matter. My J frame by itself is not enough for me so its my Glock 19. 

My J Frame is my EDC with a pocket holster a good bit of the time. The thing I like about it is if something doesn't look quite right I can slip my hand in my pocket, locate my grip and already be half way there on the draw. You can also do the same thing with a coat and can shoot through the coat if you get caught behind the curve. (Not advised with a semi unless your okay with a single shot.) <br /><br />I feel comfortable with my decision to carry a J frame. I do also carry two speed strips for reloads. Call me optimistic. :)

A man, or woman, who trains with a revolver and has the skills to use it, is well prepared for all but the most extreme scenerio. The average street crook, break in artist, or just plain old mugger; will not normally be prepared to meet someone who knows how to defend themselves.

If you practice with your weapon of choice, you'll be miles ahead. But don't just shoot a few times and think " I"m ready." Constant practice drawing from concealment, dry firing, trigger control, point shooting, all the drills necessary to hone your skills and keep them sharp.

Basically..."Eternal Vigilance"

Then a man with a revolver will not be undergunned.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4

I'm gonna speak of full sized pistols first. I have been shooting about 15 years or so, and I have shot a lot of handguns. I like revolvers, so don't take this as me bashing them, this is just being realistic.

I'm gonna compare full sized handguns first. Glock 17, 19, ect, vs 6" barrel revolvers.

The semi has between 15 and 20 rounds. The accuracy is better than most people can use, simply put, the accuracy difference won't be an issue in them. As far as reliability goes, semi autos are very reliable, and clearing jams is fast with minimal to moderate training. A revolver is actually a lot more complex than most people think.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/77151.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/dan-wesson-44-revolver-exploded-drawing&h=1120&w=1462&sz=49&tbnid=4pScUwXwHRJnJM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=117&zoom=1&usg=___4scJYkZa8sC6qdXSDIfq0fx3S4=&docid=rtCgXkSP2HuTeM&sa=X&ei=yJ9JUbLAMcTtygGEv4DACA&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAA&dur=537

Revolvers can jam if fired quickly, the cases expand in the chambers and cannot be cleared immediately. Cylinder timing can be off. Anything that goes wrong with a semi can be cleared fast, unless it is something like a squib load, that can happen with any gun.

Revolvers do have an edge in power, once you hit .357 or above, as a .38 is pretty equivalent to a .380 in semi with close barrel lengths. The edge in power isn't really as big an issue as one would think, however, with modern hollowpoint design and excellent powders. Hitting someone with 2-3 9mm hollowpoints center mass or one .44 mag is probably gonna have the same effect, for all practical purposes.

So, for the full size handgun, I really don't see any advantage of a revolver over a semi, but I see many disadvantages.

For the smaller pistols, the round count is closer, but still edged out by the semi. The revolver is also fatter, which makes it more of a pain to conceal.

I think the only time a revolver would win out is in big game country with something hard hitting like a .454 or .500S&W.

I do see a lot of misconceptions about semi users, people thinking they have a high round count to spray and pray. I practice marksmanship with any weapon, and can make fast, accurate hits with one.

Above all, shoot what you shoot best, but don't get hung up on revolvers out of nostalgia. A semi pistol is significantly better for any close range fight than a revolver.

Edited by ab28

Above all, shoot what you shoot best, but don't get hung up on revolvers out of nostalgia. A semi pistol is significantly better for any close range fight than a revolver.

Except for extreme close range, as in contact. Pushing a semi into a body will knock it out of battery, and it will not fire. The revolver will go bang.

IMO there is no right or wrong answer.  It is up to each person and what they feel comfortable with.  We have two 357 mag K frames and a full size 45 auto as well as a 12ga pump loaded with 00.  I am very comfortable with all given the situation and my wife is very comfortable with her S&W Model 19-3 357mag revolver.  I fully recognize there might be situations we would be undergunned (multiple determined attackers etc) when we have access to only one firearm but it seems a practical tradeoff for us given that we live a pretty low risk lifestyle in a low violent crime area.  JMO

Edited by golfnfish