Seat belts saved us **Pics added**

That is a brutal impact. I would wait a few days then go back to the doctor for another check up. Adrenaline can mask a lot of aches and pains and it can take a day or two for some injuries to show up. And like someone said go get checked out if something doesn't seem right.

I bet a lot of the impact energy was diverted into lifting your truck as well as pushing it forward. Looks like the Tbird went under your car. And when that happened it lengthened the impact time and that minimized, thankfuly, your injuries. Lucky you guys were in a truck that weighs probably 2x the car that hit you. Had it be reversed the outcome would have been far worse for you guys.

Glad you guys didn't incur and significant injuries. It is unfortunate that the other driver died.

And if you need anything feel free to call.

Glad you guys are OK, feel bad for the lady's family.

And this is a prime example as to why we only drive bigger, heavier vehicles. Sure, they're tougher on the environment, but no amount of technology can side-step physics - you're either the golf ball or the club...

• Like 3

Glad you're OK.

I don't think that's gonna buff out....

I was at an insurance conference (yeah...they're usually as exciting as that sounds) where I attended a session hosted by the assitant director of the IIHS and he showed some cool crash-test stuff. When asked about the SMART cars, he said, they're all roll-caged and airbags galore.They've made them about as safe as they can and they do well in most of the tests. there is some real solid engineering in them, but no amount of safety engineering can violate the laws of physics. When one gets smashed by a Ford Excursion, it's gonna hurt.

For all of you out there, if you don't have side-impact airbags, then seriously consider getting a vehicle that has them.

FYI - When asked what he drives, he said he and his wife drive Subarus. Either Forester or Outback...I can't recall now. He said it was the best car that IIHS has ever tested for protecting the occupants.

• Like 1
Seat belts are lifesavers. No reason folks shouldn't wear them. Anyone who has seen enough wrecks with folks that weren't and folks that were know the truth. I never understood why folks go out of their way not to wear them; such a simple thing that could be the decider between life and death.
  • Like 1

No kidding...I will never own or ride in a small car or compact car.

.Years ago before everyone got texting it was not so bad,but now you see  them do it everywhere....Hey  you wann kill yourself  , do it on your own property but do  not endager me or my family because you think texting while driving is ok...

.Dont know how many almost hit me or drifted into traffic because they where texting or surfing the net.It absolutly infuriates me when people do that.

I gave my son our Crown Victoria to drive.i know its asedan but relative safer than most cars now.

I feel sorry for the lady and her family but she could have killed Neil and his wife..or someone else and maybe kids.You play stupid games...you win stupid prizes.

Glad you guys are OK, feel bad for the lady's family.

And this is a prime example as to why we only drive bigger, heavier vehicles. Sure, they're tougher on the environment, but no amount of technology can side-step physics - you're either the golf ball or the club...

• Like 1

Hate to hear that about the other driver. Glad you and the wife are, for the most part, ok. I'm teaching my daughter to drive right now. Turning her loose on the road bothers me, but we all had to do it at some point.

Yeah we were on the interstate. We were stopped in construction traffic at the I-40 & I-26 intersection in Asheville. My in-laws traded their Land Rover to us so we could have a safe care to drive. Thank God it's built like a freakin tank.

4FF125D6-F100-437E-A3A8-A428B389E27C-197

I know that spot really well... the road work there is dangerous.  Looks like the front end took more of a beating than the rear.  You guys are truly blessed to "walk" away from that one..

Our accident happened at 9:30. Fog had lifted by then but still heavy backup.

[url="http://www.wlos.com/article?id=9303201&categoryid=277&election=&provider="]http://www.wlos.com/article?id=9303201&categoryid=277&election=&provider=[/url]

We are the black Land Rover in the short clips. Ms May was driving the white Ford Thunderbird. I'm still in shock that we are home safe and she isn't here anymore.

Life is fragile, cherish it! Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 3
Man, so glad you guys are ok. I'm going to copy and paste your first post to send to a few choice family members who think its fine to talk on the phone any old time behind the wheel and texting at red lights.

Had you been looking down at your phone you may not have noticed her coming up behind you and turned the wheel and let off the brake.

I'm really happy to hear you guys are ok. I suspect you will be sore for the next few days.

I'm absolutely shocked at how well that land rover held up. I suspect releasing the break had a lot to do with that. 

Was the woman not wearing hear seat belt or was the impact just that severe it didn't matter?

Edited by Erik88

I'm really happy to hear you guys are ok. I suspect you will be sore for the next few days.

I'm absolutely shocked at how well that land rover held up. I suspect releasing the break had a lot to do with that.

Was the woman not wearing hear seat belt or was the impact just that severe it didn't matter?

She had her seatbelt on and her air bag deployed. She was moving a little right after impact but I could tell she wasn't well. I remember telling 911 to hurry cause she was not doing well.