What are shooting glasses for?

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

So what is the absolute worst case scenario for what could happen if you don't wear shooting glasses during target practice? I still don't get why instructors make you wear them. What is the main risk?

I have had jackets ricochet off steel, and return hard enough to put out an eye. I've also had a casing from the shooter beside me hit me. We didn't have to wear them on the ranges in the Marines until the last year I was in, but I always wore sunglasses shooting on sunny days anyways, so I just wear ballstically rated ones for the range.

• Like 3

I still have 5.56 in my leg.  You never know when and where #### is going to bounce back at you.  Eye pro is a minimum unless you want to look like a pirate.

eta: Could be your eyeball......or what lies behind it ;)

DSC00331_zpse2b88866.jpg

DSC00341_zps1e8222b6.jpg

Edited by scoutfsu
Guest confidence

Okay! I'm convinced! This thread has been very eye opening and hopefully eye saving, as well! Thank you, all... I will be wearing my eye protection every time from now on!!

Its very rare so its a good question.   I have shot most of my life and I can count less than 10 times I was glad I had glasses on.   But those few incidents were enough, I do not shoot without mine.  Even hot brass from another shooter is nothing I want to bounce off an eyeball. 

Okay! I'm convinced! This thread has been very eye opening and hopefully eye saving, as well! Thank you, all... I will be wearing my eye protection every time from now on!!

A good choice on your part!

Dave S

Guest KCampbell
I would recommend a hat too, I have seen stray brass from another shooter get stuck behind glasses.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I would recommend a hat too, I have seen stray brass from another shooter get stuck behind glasses.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

And down your shirt, front and back.  I've seen brass melt hair from bouncing off the top of someone's head. 

I also wear safety glasses (or at least sunglasses) when running the mower and weedeater.  I had a very small piece of metal get embedded in the cornea of my left eye when I was a teenager.  Only cause we could determine was from the mower.  I had been mowing a neighbors very rocky and generally terribly maintained yard the day before.  I now have a slight astigmatism in that eye.  Coincidence? 

I've also had the weedeater fling a rock (I think) and hit me in the face.  It knocked my sunglasses off, cracked the lens and cut my cheek.  I never saw a thing, just BANG and my glasses are gone and my cheek is stinging.  And yes, the guard was attached.  People that run them without the guard are just asking for it. 

Glad to hear this. Many brands/styles of safety glasses can be filed under the category of RPG (Rape Prevention Glasses) but a hole where an eye used to be is even more uncool. 

+1 to glasses, +1 to hat as well. Be mindful of shirt collars too. I had a hot .40 cartridge pop out and land on my polo shirt collar against the side of my neck. Stung good and quick did the harlem shake to get it out, fortunately my shirt was untucked but what was the worst was the comments I got at work for a week & a half about that big hickey on my neck. I can tell you from them squinty eyed looks the women were giving me sometimes the truth won't set you free.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not saying it's smart, or the right thing to do, but I've hunted and shot for many years and never wore hearing protection, nor safety glasses....until I started shooting skeet about 7 years ago.  Yeah, I'm deaf, but a lot of that was from working in loud environments for many years before hearing protection was mandated by companies. Now I use both all the time except when hunting, and I even wear both when mowing the lawn. If I was a young man again, I'd wear hearing protection all the time, every time I was in a loud environment, and safety glasses when I needed them. 

• Like 1

I'm amazed this conversation is even going on.

Me too. I opened this thread expecting to see pictures of scratched up Oakley's that saved someone's eyes from a Kaboom.

Really didn't think this would be a serious question, but I'm glad the OP has learned something.
Guest Travtastik
Last Friday I was shooting and a guy shot a propane tank with a 12ga about 3 yards away. The blast came off the tank and hit me in the side of the face. I was far enough away from the tank that it didn't mess me up. My face burned like hell and the pellets streaked my safety glass. I would have had some major damage if I had not been wearing them. I should have got a picture but I sent them home with the jackass so he can remember how stupid he was. It was all I could do not hurt the guy. Never thought I would need those glass and now I know. It will always be the first thing I pack from no on. I fact have out 2 pair in my vehicles just in case.

So what brands do you guys like? I have some boogie regulator goggles in case of SHTF because I wear contacts and have bad vision, so my eyes are a number one priotity. But normally I just wear sunglasses. Also does anyone wear a red tint, and how do you like them?