Do you carry a tool or a "queen"

Tenifer17

My carry Glock 19 is a throw tool... That so called Tenifer that is supposed to be 400,000,000,000 tougher than a diamond or whatever is about worn off from the ultra hard kydex ... :rolleyes:

The outer finish on Glocks will show wear, but the tenifer treatment penetrates into the metal & should still protect against corrosion.
  • Like 1

My guns are safe queens. I wouldn't think of dropping a gun or even putting it into a drawer or glove box unless it was in a protective holster.  I don't get a lot of holster wear because I'm not unholstering and reholstering it a lot.

I still carry an old gen 2 Glock 21, most of the finish is worn thin or gone on the corners. Mechanically it's still pristine. It's a tool, designed to do a job. I give no more thought to dings and scrapes on it than I would on a pair of vise grips.

• Like 1

The outer finish on Glocks will show wear, but the tenifer treatment penetrates into the metal & should still protect against corrosion.

You are correct. The Tenifer is not the finish nor the color of the slide , it is a metal treatment. My Glock 22 is worn down to silver color at the muzzle but still never rusts when exposed to water because the Tenifer treatment  is still there inside the metal.

• 7 months later...
Guest TresOsos

I need help on this one. Just got my carry permit and as most dont have a safe full of choices, but hav a brand new in box glock 22 which I have narrowed down to my ideal carry gun. I just cannot bring myself to holster it a bunch and scratch up the slide. So I am contiplating a trade for an XD40 stainless full size for the slide wear reason. I do like the xd alot. Do I keep the glock and wear the slide or trade for the stainless XD which wont show as much wear? Arghhhhh. I know its a tool. I almost wanna follow another posters advice, drink a few beers to get brave enough, and take a key and scratch the slide all to crap so I dont worry about it anymore lol. Now any gun i own I keep internally immaculate no matter how worn outside is. I just cant bring myself to mar the outside...... Help lol

Seriously? A Glock 22, it's not like they aren't a dime a dozen, it's not like it's a $5K Wilson Combat.

If it gets to worn for your taste go buy another one and you'll still get most of your money out of the ugly worn one, well in truth all Glocks are ugly.

Some of us like the worn,carried and heavily shot look....adds character.

Edited by TresOsos

I need help on this one. Just got my carry permit and as most dont have a safe full of choices, but hav a brand new in box glock 22 which I have narrowed down to my ideal carry gun. I just cannot bring myself to holster it a bunch and scratch up the slide. So I am contiplating a trade for an XD40 stainless full size for the slide wear reason. I do like the xd alot. Do I keep the glock and wear the slide or trade for the stainless XD which wont show as much wear? Arghhhhh. I know its a tool. I almost wanna follow another posters advice, drink a few beers to get brave enough, and take a key and scratch the slide all to crap so I dont worry about it anymore lol. Now any gun i own I keep internally immaculate no matter how worn outside is. I just cant bring myself to mar the outside...... Help lol

Don't worry about the finish - just drive the gun.   Holster it, don't worry about it.  If you must have a pristine handgun, just buy another one.

My carry guns are tools that my life depends on. So they are well maintained and well taken care of. I wouldn’t even toss one of my Tupperware guns across the ground. And if you have a trainer that wants you to do that; find a new one.

Except when they are somebody's pride and joy, and just happens to be for sale. Then they become,
almost magically "safe queens with less than 100 rounds through the chamber."

Like when you see a Vette for sale and it says “Never been in the rain”. biggrin.gif
Guest earlybird

All mine are tools. i use but never abuse. My old EAA EZ9 had well over 5000 rounds through it, looked like new when I sold it. The only unused safe queen is the one that doesn't work yet. But I am working on that. My mosin has been seeing all kinds of modern tools to get it going again.

I don't go out of my way to baby my guns but they are well taken care of and typically look like a well cared for used firearm. Some wear but nothing abusive.

+1. A little respect and things last a long time. You don't have to baby something to treat it right.

• Moderators

To paraphrase and old saying, "You are what you carry". Considering the number of times I have been called a tool, I guess that means mine are all tools. It could be worse, I could be carrying a queen... :leaving:

Guest Southern Christian Armed

Until now, I tried to keep all guns mint. But what use is a mint gun that you don't know how its functions? From now on I will buy based  on usability.

Guest Doubletap2

My duty glock has a chrome slide... Well, almost.. 1/2 the coating is worn off..2.. But then again, it's got 18,000 rounds through it!!! It's on barrel 2 right now.

I read soooo many post about how many rounds people have fired through their weapons. How in the world do you guys keep up with it? I'm sure over the past 30 yrs I've fired no telling how many rounds, but to put an exact number? Anyway, I carry every day it's part of getting dressed, and to me my weapon is a defensive tool and I treat it with respect.

Once I found out just how sturdy and tuff my tools were, I bought more just so I'd have a set that was new and sparkly. My G26 and G19 have been carried for years and I suspect it'd be about 10 more years of EDC before they'd need any type of "refinish". Springs and such are replaced every few years as they are cheap. I by no means baby my EDC's either. If they get dirty, they get cleaned but by no means am I afraid of them getting dirty or scratched. Hell, I've tossed my G26 into a shallow creek for a $20 bet.

I've never understood intentionally mistreating a firearm as mentioned by a few on this thread. Honestly earned handling and usage "character marks" are fine but intentional abuse puzzles me.

Nothing wrong with pride of ownership. Queens that are rarely fired have their place. But, when push comes to shove the firearms I most cherish are the couple that have been carried during occasions of uncertainty character marks and all.