Buying a Suit?

So I don't wear a suit very often, but I always feel I need one for special occasions. The two I have now are several years old, so in looking for something new.

I bought the last ones at Men's Warehouse, the experience was similar to buying a used car. I constantly felt pressured to buy more stuff.

So, any thoughts? I live in Knoxville. I've thought about John H Daniels, but thought I'd ask here for opinions.
  • Like 1

Find an old school men's haberdashery and spend at least $600.00.

In Bristol that would be Blakely Mitchell.

Classic cut suits really always are serviceably fashionable.

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 1
[quote name="Raoul" post="954486" timestamp="1366293019"]Find an old school men's haberdashery and spend at least $600.00.
In Bristol that would be Blakely Mitchell.

Classic cut suits really always are serviceably fashionable.
[/quote]

Thanks. I definitely willing to pay for a good serviceable suit. I will check them out. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Admin Team

A good suit is worth the money - especially if you're only wearing it semi-regularly.

There's some truth to the old saying that, "the suit makes the man."  While that rings a bit hollow to us these days, every man should have at least one good suit that he can wear well when the occasion calls for it.  At the very least, your wife will appreciate it.

• Like 1
All of mine come from men's wearhouse. They're great because I just go in and say I can't coordinate anything, but I like this suit, find me everything else to go with it.

Have done that 8 or 9 times now and they've always hit the mark. They also usually have some good sales.
  • Like 1
A good suit is worth the money - especially if you're only wearing it semi-regularly.

There's some truth to the old saying that, "the suit makes the man." While that rings a bit hollow to us these days, every man should have at least one good suit that he can wear well when the occasion calls for it. At the very least, your wife will appreciate it.

I agree 100%. My wife is in her 3rd year of med school(almost 4th). So there will be plenty of events coming up that will require a good suit. Before its said and done I'm sure I'll even own a tux. These doctors like their formal shindigs.

I have a long history with Joseph A. Bank and Nordstrom's and like their things.  They carry a variety of styles and prices along with nice shirts and ties. JAB routinely has good sales if you are looking to buy more than one suit.

• Like 2
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a good Stafford from Penney's. Some of my favorites have come from Penny's, Belk, and Parisian. I have have found a deal at Josa Banks and Mens Warehouse before. Don't be affraid to tell them what you want to spend.
  • Admin Team

I remember selling a company at one point and going to work for a much larger organization in which I was going to have a global role.  After orientation in the morning, my boss's boss gave me the card for their tailor with orders to report to their Madison Ave. office after lunch to have three suits made on the company.  His comment to me was, "We know you can play the part.  We need you to look the part and feel the part."

I was in my mid twenties at the time.  It took me several years to really recognize the truth hidden in there.

• Like 2

Bring in one of those old suits to John H. Daniel and get 50% off.  A fully tailored suit from one of their basic fabrics will run you about $450 with that deal.  

Most of my stuff is from Jos. A Bank.  Their suits are ok, but the constant juggling of "sales" is kind of annoying.   I pretty much always need some alterations done to their suits, so that drives up the total cost.  Frankly, a fully tailored suit from John H. Daniel would be a better deal.   

Jos. A Bank's tailored-fit Traveler series shirts are excellent, though.  I usually snatch those up when they run a 3 for 1 deal.  

Edited by LawVol
Go to Goodwill to find a suit to take to John H. Daniel!

There's a Burlington something way up on Kingston pike I believe.....

I think a huge part is your build. I know some dudes that can rock a JCP suit without alterations..... Me not so much.... It's all in the tailoring and accessories.
  • Admin Team

I'm fortunate that I don't have to wear a suit everyday.  As the owner of a firm, I get to tell people that my boss is a jerk, but dress code is pretty lax.  It's jeans and boots for me most days.

Our rule for our employees has historically been the same as I expect of myself, namely that our hourly rates are high enough that when we're in the field you deserve to see us in a suit.  That said, we simply don't find ourselves wearing them as much these days.  As the workplace has gotten more casual, a suit often throws people - especially IT people.  I've been in meetings where they've practically shut down, but were fine when we lost the jackets and ties.  These days, we generally ask our clients about their workplace culture and dress accordingly.

People are starting to push back, though.  The building our office is in recently had a medical billing firm move in.  They've got about 75 employees, almost all of them women.  They've taken "business casual" to a whole new level.  Some mornings you pass some of them in the parking lot and wonder if they even brushed their teeth between getting out of bed and coming to work.  No one has said anything specifically, but I've noticed other people in the building dressing up a little more to compensate.  There has to be balance to the force, I guess.

While I've never understood how people think we work better with improvised nooses around our necks, there's a lot to be said for being able to rock a suit.  And, that includes a good watch, a solid belt and good pair of shoes.  In a world where there's no longer such a thing as having paid your dues, it shows that you deserve an honest shot.  We pay our dues everyday.

If you are going to wear it twice, don't bother with this but buy two pairs of paints with every suit. The paints show wear so much faster. I don't wear my coat in the car, getting out for gas, around the building.... It's a practice that I always try to do.