A bad experience yesterday with a Dodge Dealer

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

So as I mentioned in another post I have (Seriously) been considering a new Truck, simply to go up on the V8 to pull my bigger trailer. After reading all the responses here I had decided it was going to be either a Tundra Limited or a Dodge 1500. I was heavily leaning towards the Tundra because I like them and I have now owned three of them (One of the smaller ones a while back and two full size). So I decided that I was going to buy and I was going to buy yesterday. Planned on driving off the lot yesterday evening. So I had already talked to the dealer who sold me 4 Toyotas already (3 trucks and a car) and their customer service is second to none. And Toyota follows up from corporate to make sure it is second to none and they have you fill out a form (If you want) rating the dealer, and the GM will call to make sure there isnt a problem because as the GM told me, if they get a bad mark, Toyota follows up on it and they DO NOT want to get a bad mark.

So I stopped in at a local Dodge dealer, was looking at the trucks and up comes a salesman, pretty nice and not overbearing as some car salesman tend to be. We start talking about trucks and I told him I was just looking right now but was still leaning heavily towards another Tundra. During the conversation I told him all the bad things I had heard about the Rams and surprisingly he said "Yes, up to last year we had some problems, those are fixed, this year we are running away with the truck market, buy a Ram and your getting the best truck made". I said oh yea, who told you that. And he says, go look at Motor Trends Truck of the Year. So I did, got in my truck and pulled it up on the cell and Motor Trend gives it not only glowing reviews but says in every area it beats the competition and (The guy was right) they fixed the problems for the 2013 and according to Motor Trend (And several other site reviews) The Dodge Ram series is hands down the Truck of the Year. My Tundra drives as smooth as a luxury car, but MT says with the new Ram Air Ride, the Rams drive like a new Lexus.

But I still wanted to take a look at the Ford's first and I noticed that although this lot had about 50 trucks they had nothing with the Rambox Holster option. So I headed off to the Ford dealer and on the way, on my left was a Dodge Dealer with a lot full of trucks and I thought I would stop off to see what they had. When I got to the lot and looked around that was it, I found my truck and I already knew I was driving it off the lot within a couple of hours. It was a Pearl White Ram with all the options and on top of that it had not only the Rambox Holster option, it had it on both sides! And surprisingly you didnt lose a lot of bed width with it, the way its built into the fenders, you lose about 3-4 inches on each side. A tradeoff Im willing to make.

So I walked in and if I would have been thinking I probably should have turned right around and walked right back out got in my truck and left. But I dont think that way (And Ill explain why laer) and I went up to the receptionist and told her I would like to speak to the sales manager. Well they dont do that there, she tells me I need to go out and pick a truck out, come in and do the paperwork. WHAT!? Ok so I played along nicely and said "No maam, I want to speak to a sales manager". So she is real nice and calls the sales manager and I step out of the way to the left side of the desk, but I am the only one standing there. Sales manager walks up, walks right past me and asks where the customer is. She points to me and I say, Im the customer.

The look I got from the sales manager could have burned a hole through titanium plate. I was dressed decent, had a decent trade if I wanted to use it, had a down payment, and guaranteed financing through my or my wifes bank. Started to tell him I wanted to ask him a couple of questions on their financing options (The receptionist even told him I was buying. I wasnt tire kicking, no sense in wasting time like that). This guy did not want to talk to me, about anything, in fact I would call the way I was treated by that sales manager as a 4th class lowlife. He said Ill get you a salesman. Same thing. I swear that not only did the salesman not even look at me one time, but every time I asked a question he told me straight up "I dont care". We had exactly 3 lines of conversation while he was "selling me a truck". He answered none of my questions except with basically an "I dont care". Other than to fill my info into the computer, that was it.

He left, took my keys to move my truck around to appraise it for a trade. When he came back he asked what bank my truck was financed with. I told the guy it was my wifes bank and because of that she was primary and I was secondary. So he calls the bank (Without even asking me anything at all other than the bank name) and when the lady answers and asks for the customers social he asks for mine and I remind him that I told him that the primary is my wife on this one.

Immediately this guy slams down the phone, and I mean SLAMS DOWN THE PHONE, looks at me and YELLS "I dont have time for you, I dont have time for you to get your wifes social security number".

Up to this point I have not said 50 words to these people. Because it was clear they did not want to sell me a truck and didnt bother answering any of my questions and were simply doing what they had to do very begrudgingly. I told the guy to give me my truck keys, he got them and handed them to me, and asked in a nasty tone "Are we done here?" at which part I said "done" and walked out got in the truck and left. Pulled into the parking lot and called Dodge-Chryslers corporate offices. Dodge could not believe one of their dealers acted like that. The woman was extremely apologetic. I told her, thats not enough. I want an apology, period. From the owner of the dealership.

Now here is why I should have turned around and walked out. When I walked into the dealership the first thing I noticed was that it was spotless, cleanest dealership I have ever seen. Not a piece of paper out of place. In the back they had a Cafe. I have never seen a dealership with a Cafe. I also noticed that every single person in there was dressed immaculately. I have dealt with dealers in jeans and t-shirts. Dont care, Im there to buy a vehicle not be concerned how people are dressed, but this dealership in every area was pretty impressive.

What I didnt notice, until I started being treated the way I was by the salesman and realized what was going on, was that every single person in that dealership, that I saw, with the exception of the receptionist was black. And I was the ONLY white customer. Every table except for two had customers, I was the only white customer. It became immediately clear to me. They did not want (Or care) to sell a vehicle to a white guy, even if I was guaranteeing them I was driving off the lot THAT AFTERNOON with a new truck.

I told all of this to Dodge Corporate. They are looking into it. Told them no need to just look into it, get the video, all these dealerships have cameras. She told me she could not guarantee anything. I told her I could guarantee them something. If I dont hear back from the dealer or Dodge by 6 PM today, my customer service experience will be plastered all over the web. Ill make sure its well known in MS and Ill post it on Motor Trend and Car and Drivers website. I let her know, if they didn't want or need my $45,000 then they wouldn't need my families either, all of whom are truck owners. One is a fleet owner. I'm sorry their feelings got hurt because a white guy walked in to their dealership to buy a truck, but their feelings are going to be hurt more after 6 PM today, and their feelings are going to be hurt even more if I have to go see my attorney tomorrow morning.

Why would you see an attorney? Go somewhere else and buy a truck.

I've done it several times for various reasons.

This ^^
I just bought two 2013 dodge vehicles and had a great experience at the dealer here in Chattanooga. Don't blame the entire brand over one stupid dealer, they won't be there long.

Btw for 45k I would get the cummins. Much better fuel mileage and a better engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

Just like you white guys to want to be waited on :rofl:

FWIW, I had a bad experience with Toyota of Bristol. They refused to sell me a Forerunner without signing a full page arbitration agreement. Even my attorney said they were crazy when he read it.

I bought a new Nissan instead.

This ^^
I just bought two 2013 dodge vehicles and had a great experience at the dealer here in Chattanooga. Don't blame the entire brand over one stupid dealer, they won't be there long.

Btw for 45k I would get the cummins. Much better fuel mileage and a better engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

^This.  Then you can just smile when your buddies talk about how much they can haul with their trucks.

• Like 1

Just like you white guys to want to be waited on :rofl:

FWIW, I had a bad experience with Toyota of Bristol. They refused to sell me a Forerunner without signing a full page arbitration agreement. Even my attorney said they were crazy when he read it.

I bought a new Nissan instead.

I have been looking at new and used trucks for a while now and I really like the fact that they offer the life time warranties. They seemed to priced a little higher that some competitors but I wasn't crazy about the dealership when I asked him if he could track down a 4 door long bed Tacoma and he proceeds to tell me I shouldn't even bother they are hard to find and I go home that day and find 15 in a 150 mile radius for sale. Some people I tell you. I have been working with a dealer out of Kentucky and buying a truck and the salesmen I have been working with is great. 

I have noticed a great deal of "blatent anti-white racism" since moving down here, granted there was some up north but it seems to be more readily & more openly expressed here in the south.

Shame that it prevented you from buying the truck that you wanted, but hopefully you'll find another one at another dealer that will appreciate your business regardless of the fact that you are da debil.

I use auto trader to shop for new cars and trucks.  Last time I was shopping for an 01 Durango with the 5.9 (in 03).  This ride was for towing my boat and camping... I have an Accord for daily commuting.  No dealer in Knoxville could or would help me.  Found one in Nashville with 10K miles on the odo.  Drove out there and bought it, then about 23K loaded.  Driving home, I couldn't help but think about all those stupid car dealer commercials and how they wasted their money.

My next Dodge will have a Cummins.  They are tow beasts and get 27-30 mpg.

FWIW, I don't buy a new ride until I need it, and when I buy I'll buy it broken in.  Let some other idiot lose 5K driving it off the lot new.  LOL  I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan, so I pay myself a car payment to another bank account every month so I don't have to pay to use someone else's $$.  Saves a TON of cash... for ammo!

I use auto trader to shop for new cars and trucks.  Last time I was shopping for an 01 Durango with the 5.9 (in 03).  This ride was for towing my boat and camping... I have an Accord for daily commuting.  No dealer in Knoxville could or would help me.  Found one in Nashville with 10K miles on the odo.  Drove out there and bought it, then about 23K loaded.  Driving home, I couldn't help but think about all those stupid car dealer commercials and how they wasted their money.

My next Dodge will have a Cummins.  They are tow beasts and get 27-30 mpg.

FWIW, I don't buy a new ride until I need it, and when I buy I'll buy it broken in.  Let some other idiot lose 5K driving it off the lot new.  LOL  I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan, so I pay myself a car payment to another bank account every month so I don't have to pay to use someone else's $$.  Saves a TON of cash... for ammo!

You have to understand something; the staff at many, perhaps even most car dealerships have their heads firmly inserted up their nether regions.

I was once the proud owner of a 1976 Firebird TransAm 50th anniversary edition (this was the forerunner to the "Smoky and the Bandit) Black/Gold TransAm).  There were less than 3,000 made (not enough for each Pontiac dealer to even get one) and less than 600 with the Hurst Hatch T-Tops (it was the fist car to ever come with a T-top). When I was thinking about buying a 1979 model to replace it, I had gone to the largest Pontiac dealer in Seattle to do a deal.  However, when I went to have the trade-in appraised the I had two salesmen and the Sales Manager argue with me; claiming that Pontiac had "never made that car" and that I must have had it done myself which decreased the value of the car (which was exactly the opposite of what thet car was doing in the market at the time).

Needless to say...I was pissed. Not only that they would diss my car but that they would stand there and arguel with me about it.

I realize that it ws a somewhat rare car...I can understand that it was just a trick to not give me a fair price for my trade-in...I can understand taht these sales people may have never seen one...I can believe (somewhat) that they didn't realize Pontiac had made it But, what I found truly amazing is that there guys were so incredibly stupid to stand there and argue with me and piss me off!!!

Well; they didn't get to sell me a new TransAm...I went the next day to a much smaller dealership, ordered a new 1979 and did the deal with them.

The moral of the story is, while not universally true, you probaly can't overestimate the stupidity of most car sales staff/dealerships. :)

http://www.78ta.com/limitededition.htm

• Like 3

I bought Chrysler products, many Dodge, almost exclusively for most of my life.  Probably the result of the pleasure I experienced owning a number of Mopar muscle cars from the 60s of 70s.  I drove the same Dodge 4wd pickup for over 20 years.

In 2006, I was looking for a new car.  The first place I went was the Dodge dealer.  I'd never had any experience with a dealer acting like they weren't interested in making a sale.  I kept getting passed from one sales person to another before anyone would even talk to me.  When I finally got a guy to walk out on the lot with me, he showed me the sticker price of the car I was interested in, walked away and went to lunch.  I got into the Chrysler I was driving at the time, and left.

Next stop, the Ford dealer.  Long story short, I've been very happy with the two Fords I've owned since.  Never been back to a Chrysler product dealer.  Don't expect to. 

Eh, I love my Ram and bought it new for nearly 2/3 the sticker price and ruined the salesman's inflated haggling ego. Besides leaking power steering fluid everywhere, it has been a champ.

Good luck finding a truck. I never discount other peoples experiences. This kind of thing happens to people of all races everyday. Now you will be better equipped to understand when someone else perceives that they have been a victim of racism. Chalk it up to being a learning experience.

Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1
I will give my local Toyota dealership in Columbia some props. I went there two weekends ago looking at the Tacoma's. The young guy came out and I told him up front I wasn't going to buy that day and he still stayed out with me talking and charting. I even asked to test drive one and he was very nice. It was a good experience. But for some reason I have had some bad experiences with the Dodge dealership in Columbia. My fiance was looking for a new car last year and we were leaning towards the Avenger. So we went on the lot late one night around 8 or so to look around without being bothered. To our surprise they were still open. The manager or "head guy" was the one to come out. All he kept talking about was taking my Jeep Wrangler we were in on trade. I told gine several times my Jeep was not involved. I wanted to keep it and that we were just looking. Once I told him I was not trading my Jeep he got really pissy with me and just went back inside.
Guest TankerHC

Follow Up

Chrysler Corporate called me around noon today. I had to go over the whole thing again, this time with a director. After I finished I recieved the apology I was after and they asked me to hold on. So I waited about 5 minutes and they got the dealer on the line 3 way. I explained (Again) what went on and the dealer could not believe it. Told him same as I told corporate, look at your video. Every last thing I said is exactly as happened. We spoke for about 20 minutes and he asked me if they could get my business back. Offiered a good deal and guaranteed top customer service. So I said yea, Ill be there in 30 minutes. Only thing I will not work with that Service Manager and that Salesman. He said no problem, we will take care of that.

On the way I got another call from Corporate. They wanted to ask me questions about yesterday, I told her that I was headed back over there and she may want to wait until tomorrow because she might not want to hear what I have to say at the moment. She said, oh I have been doing this a long time, I assure you I have heard it all. Nothing would surprise me.

Got there and to say there was a 180 degree flip in Customer Service "in every way" would be an understatement. People who were there yesterday, werent there, the whole building was full of people I did not see there AT ALL yesterday, shifts I guess. Picked the truck and they got the price down from 41,000 to 34,000. MSRP was 45,000 but somehow it ended up being 41,000 then 37,000 then finally 34,000 and change. Still wanted the wife to look at the truck but she had to work late. Agreed I would come back tomorrow. Left and she got off on time and called me. We discussed it a little bit and decided we might go on over.

Called back and asked for the salesman. The receptionist answered and when I asked she said "Im sorry he is off today". At which point I informed her I just spent two hours with him and just left the dealership 5 minutes ago and he told me he was working until 8. Should note that his desk is the one right next to the Receptionists desk. Her response "I am sorry sir, how am I supposed to know if they are here or not if they dont tell me?". What? I didnt say anything but was thinking "isnt that what receptionists are for, you ask for someone and they page them"? Rather than coming out with a boldfaced lie because you dont want to do your job?

Well, tomorrow I will be going down to decide which Tundra I will be getting. Probably a Limited. And when Chrysler Corporate calls me back tomorrow I will be giving them an ear full. On top of that this dealership has been there for 30 years, but the new owners took possession two weeks ago. So its been under new management for 2 weeks.

Edited by TankerHC
You will be better off with the Toyota , thought you where moving to tn. ,I would wait and get it in tn. And your dealer would be closer to you then if you need any thing , you have already set up a relationship with your closest dealer, car tags are cheaper in tn also not like what Thay are going to charge you in ms. Tn tags run about 80.00 a year , in ms Thay are going to charge you by the value of the truck for your tag.