Tat Explosion

That is my opinion, Spots. I wouldn't want someone covered in tattoos representing myself or my interests.

If I don't see them, then there isn't a problem.

Mike makes a real good point here.   There are places in the employed world (...think customer relations with big companies, folks that meet and represent companies like accounting firms, engineering firms, capital equipment sales, IT contractors, ect.ect ---  you get the picture...) that simply will not hire folks that look like a canvas, no matter the quality of the art; nor the abilities of the applicant.  They may not say anything about it during the interview; but they dont need to.  They have eyes, if ya get my drift.   I would keep that in mind when i went to the tatoo parlor or the job interview and govern myself accordingly. 

Long sleeves can cover lots of stuff up; but i would think twice before i got that great set of ss runes tatooed on the back of my head (...like I saw the other day on an ole boy that was slick headed, muscular, and weighed about 250 or so....).  Or, if i wuz of the fairer sex; i would be careful about them leg tatoos when i put on my best business skirt and jacket for that big interview. 

I know it may seem a bit unfair and narrow minded; but that's how things happen in the corporate, business, and engineering world where first impressions are important.   Remember this; lots of us here wuz young once ourselves, and we did lots of 'avant guarde" things.  Lots of these negative vibes we're puttin out are the result of experience.

leroy

• Like 2

I have one that looks horrible to the point that I can't even make out what it originally was, it's about 8 years old.  Drunken mistake, thankfully it is hidden if I'm wearing a t shirt.  I have nothing against them, just not for me.  I've seen several references in this thread about people with tattoos and prioritizing their expenses.  My wife and I were talking about that just the other day.  We were swimming in Monroe County and noticed that most everyone in the river had lots of tattoos, and not many teeth, no offense to anyone from Monroe County.  I just can't figure being in your twenties and spending money on tattoos (okay most didn't look like they had spent very much) but not spending money to keep your teeth.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 2

I have one that looks horrible to the point that I can't even make out what it originally was, it's about 8 years old.  Drunken mistake, thankfully it is hidden if I'm wearing a t shirt.  I have nothing against them, just not for me.  I've seen several references in this thread about people with tattoos and prioritizing their expenses.  My wife and I were talking about that just the other day.  We were swimming in Monroe County and noticed that most everyone in the river had lots of tattoos, and not many teeth, no offense to anyone from Monroe County.  I just can't figure being in your twenties and spending money on tattoos (okay most didn't look like they had spent very much) but not spending money to keep your teeth.

http://www.spike.com/articles/lbbcmw/tattoo-nightmares-want-to-cover-up-your-own-tattoo-nightmare

• Like 1

Low camp!  Putting a tat on a beautiful woman is like putting a coon tail on a Lexus. :yuck:  Never had one, never wanted one. Now, where can this old dog hide.

Edited by oldogy
  • Like 3

Low camp!  Putting a tat on a beautiful woman is like putting a coon tail on a Lexus. :yuck:  Never had one, never wanted one. Now, where can this old dog hide.

This right here is good stuff!!  I salute you sir on your superlive powers of folksy illustration and quick wit !!!  It dont get bette than this!!

With great admiration,

leroy

I'm a whitewater kayaker, and there used to be a company called Lotus that made paddling gear, the most popular piece being a life jacket, Their logo was a lotus flower,and they placed it on the life jackets at a position roughly between the top of the shoulder blades . Now, the lotus flower symbol was not particularly manly looking, but in the kayaking community it was immediately recognizable, and several men thought it would be a good idea to ink it onto their backs in the same location as the life jacket. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Fast forward several years and now the company is out of business and nearly forgotten about and we have all these guys with these girly flowers on their backs. Makes me laugh every time I see one.

• Like 2

I like analogs story.  Thanks for sharing it.   It reminds me of another one.  When i was a young man (...aeons ago...), a good friend of mine decided to proclaim his enduring love for his then current girlfriend and future fiancee by getting the old heart shaped tatoo with his true love's name inscribed thereon.  He went off to vietnam sportin the tatoo of his true love.  She got lonely and went boyfriend hunting. 

You can guess the rest.  She caught a new boyfriend and eventually a husband that wasnt my ole buddy.  There are two morals to this story.  The first, be careful whos name goes on the old heart tatoo.  The second, absence doesnt always make the heart grow fonder.

Be careful whos' name goes in the tatoo... I would sugguest "mom"....

leroy

I'm not against tats or Piercings either. But I have none of either. I want to be different, but sometimes i just feel left out. Most of my friends have some sort of tat. The only thing i see bad on a tat or piercing is with age, things change.

I do see the tattoo removal services business becoming a booming industry one day.

Best thing i have found out if you decide to get a Tat, don't get any names tatted on you unless it's your children, your mom or dad, a vehicle you love or a pet you always want to remember.

• Like 1

A guy I know went to have his kids names inked onto his arm. Only thing is, the artist misspelled the name. The guy caught it right after the wrong letter was inked on around the middle of the name. No problem, let's do it again on the other arm. He probably should have made sure the artist knew the correct spelling, because he did the exact same thing on the other arm.

Moral of this story is make sure the artist knows how to spell the name you are having tattooed on your body. 

I think they look OK and I wouldn't mind one. But until they make them only last 5 years and not start to look ####ty after 2, I'll just enjoy watching from the sidelines.

I know several people who regret the ones they have . There's plenty who don't, mind you but that's not good odds to me.

Edited by tnguy

I have one that looks horrible to the point that I can't even make out what it originally was, it's about 8 years old. Drunken mistake, thankfully it is hidden if I'm wearing a t shirt. I have nothing against them, just not for me. I've seen several references in this thread about people with tattoos and prioritizing their expenses. My wife and I were talking about that just the other day. We were swimming in Monroe County and noticed that most everyone in the river had lots of tattoos, and not many teeth, no offense to anyone from Monroe County. I just can't figure being in your twenties and spending money on tattoos (okay most didn't look like they had spent very much) but not spending money to keep your teeth.

Teeth are pretty low on the priority list in Monroe County for sure. I have lived here for 12 years and still don't understand
I have 2 tats and got both after the age of 40. I wear polo golf shirts in a professional atmosphere and most people never see them. I have showed my ink to co-workers and them be surprised at me having it. Take your time, get something that has meaning to you for you, and don't get inked for someone else.
  • Like 1

The last couple of years that I was a hiring manager I had to ask about Tattoos. I did not mind tattoos that were covered by regular work attire. I was burned by a couple of hires because of Tattoos, all of which were while working for UT. The worst was when I hired a girl that came into the interview with A LOT of jewelry, I asked her about tattoos and she said all can be covered easily. I then told her that company policy stated Jewelery had to be minimal. She was wearing a ring on every finger and some fingers had 2. I got a ton of applicants that wore a lot of rings so I did not think anything about it. Her first day of work she came in with no rings on and I notices tattoos on her fingers, I went over and was surprised to see that her fingers said F*#$ You. I had to let her go on the spot. I just don't know if she will ever get a job because of the tattoos. She was a nice person and seemed very intelligent but I just cannot have her representing the school that way.  If I had to pass on everyone that had tattoos I would have never hired anyone. Luckily some people are smart enough to get tattos that can be covered with a long sleeve shirt and pants.

I am mostly indifferent. I can appreciate the art on most but some I don't care for. I don't feel I have anything that "means something to me" that I would want tattooed onto my body. Now art would be a different thing. I really like the work of a guy over in Europe that goes by the name Xoil. He does some great looking tattoos IMO but I do not have any tattoo. The style is called trash polka.

I did have my ears pierced with 10 gauge earrings and an 8 guage 3/4" barbell in my tongue. I removed them in 2001 though.

Edited by Daniel

I mean no disrespect with this posting, and I am not a Tatphobia person, but have you noticed the Tattoo explosion?  

I recently went to Dollywood Splash Country with my kids, and I have never ever seen so many Tattoos?  I honestly felt out of place as in the minority, because I did not have any on my large blank canvas.  I wanted to go out and buy a Henna tattoo or get a Sharpie just to write something on my forearm just to fit in.  Now I am not talking about the roses or flowers on girls ankles, but the multiple tats that cover whole arms, backs, stomachs, and the ones that barely can be seen that go out of sight.  I saw some facial tattoos, neck stuff, and a few bald headed guys with tats on the cranial areas.

I think some tattoos are cool, and a few are sexy on women, but honestly I seen some DWSC that were down right awful.  The homemade kind or jailhouse made stuff just looks awful.  The ones that spell L-O-V-E on the knuckles of one hand and H-A-T-E on the other.  And where are these young people who don't look like they have a pot to psss in, have the means to pay for these large art scenes?  I am sure some have dropped $1,000s into their billboards.

I am not bashing, or meaning any disrespect, its just very noticeable that the majority of the young adults have Tats.  Is this just a Fad on the upswing or has the pinnacle been passed?  So I guess the in thing is to have a I-phone and a tat, that appeared to be 80% of the crowd at Splash Country.     There is not a Obama program for Tats is there?   

The biggest question I have about em is HOW IN THE WORLD all these people who look like they have to borrow a pot to pee in can afford $2000 in tattoos.   My wife got a TINY tattoo and it was like $150 after tipping and all that.   'Course the same question comes into play about $200 a month phones and drug habits and the other things that the "poor" always seem to be able to afford.    Always been a mystery how the "poor" have so much access to throwaway money in this country.....