Tat Explosion

I hope I am still in the good column.  Have not seen you since a shoot many moons ago.  But many people dislike me.  LOL

I didn't like you then.  :rofl:

I'm just kidding. Seriously, I like most people. I'm that guy in the office that's always the last to know the dirt on people, mostly because I couldn't possibly care less. As a result, it takes me a long time to actually get where I dislike people. Most of the time. <Insert evil laugh>

• Like 1
The thing is, tattoos and those that have full body art have a negative stereotype that is hard to get over. People like that are always perceived to belong to gangs, mafia, or former prison inmates etc. While it is now becoming more commonplace it still has that air about it. The first impression you give your employer is what can get you the job or not. And if you go into a business that does not cater to bikers, bar patrons, or the like and you flaunt all your body art you may not get hired. First impressions and stereotypes are hard to redeem, so you have to make the best first impression you can to get your foot in the door. Later, when your boss and co-workers see the type of person you really are, then they may be able to overlook the tats unless of course you ARE one of the typical stereotypes.

Even the military has been fighting this over the last few years, while tattoos have been allowed they do have restrictions on what can show while in uniform. And the more visibility your job has, the more restrictions there are.
  • Like 1

For non profane art, if a guy sits at a computer all day or on an assembly line or whatever else, out of the general view of the customers, and is excellent at the job, their "professional" (read, 1900s era dress and grooming) look does not matter and should have 0 bearing on hire/not hire.

Says you. I believe it depends on where you work and what art we're talking about. If a guy shows up to a job interview for a factory position and he's got a Mike Tyson face tattoo, I'm going to question his ability to make well thought out decisions. I'm not going to hire that person when there is someone comparably qualified that presents a more mature and professional appearance.

Likewise, I doubt that if I went to biker bar or hipster joint to look for a job and I came dressed as if I walked off the set of Ozzie & Harriet they'd be looking to hire me.

Most friends I have and folks I work with are tattooed. Many with visible tats (sleeves/forearms). I don't think twice about it and neither does anyone else. I suppose if they went to interview at a toddler daycare though, their tats would be noticed. This is reality, and folks who make the choice to have visible body art must realize that they are potentially compromising certain opportunities when they do that. That's up to the individual to decide, but I think it is absolutely preposterous to place blame on the business for considering visible body art during the hiring process. We all make choices, and we are beholden to those choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I've noticed. My personal favorite is when we get a 200+ lb tatted up "badass" on the stretcher with ink everywhere, and they freak out like a baby when I come at em with an IV needle.

Although I don't consider myself a badass, I'm a 280 lbs guy with tattoos who isn't bothered by IV needles coming at me nor do I understand the need to have local anesthesia to have the IV needle place. :)

Well, I guess the irony is that I'm now a non-conformist/rebel. I refuse to get a tattoo or piercing simply because everyone seems to have them and it is the "in" thing to do. I figure anything I do to try to fit in with some culturally relevant issue or fad is controlling me and expressing a cultural message as opposed to expressing my individuality or will. 

I really feel for the guys (or gals) who got them to be non-conformist and have now been nearly negated by the culture they were trying to differentiate themselves from.

I guess the age old principle of letting who you are be represented by your character and name is still the most true individualistic expression one can display. 

I am a true rebel/non conformist. Retire from the Navy and been riding Harleys even long and not one single tat. Granted back in 86 I was bumming around Singapore and heard about Johnny Two Thumbs. A bunch of us went to his shop and they all got tatted. Johnny  was either retired and dead cause he wasn't working, so no tat for me. LOL

Buck1032, I'm with you...Navy retired also, and not one tattoo. Early on, one of my shipmates had a sexually offensive tat removed from his forearm. Left ugly scars. No lasers during those days. To each his or her own, but wish they would consider how that tattoo may affect their lives later on in life.

Edited by Sidewinder

Buck1032, I'm with you...Navy retired also, and not one tattoo. Early on, one of my shipmates had a sexually offensive tat removed from his forearm. Left ugly scars. No lasers during those days. To each his or her own, but wish they would consider how that tattoo may affect their lives later on in life.

Were you on the Ranger in the 80's? They would cut the tats out and stretch and sew the skin up. They would photograph the process and have those pictures posted in the chow lines. LOL

I'm amazed that some people give a rat's butt what someone else does to their own body. Sure, I look at someone who's done something to their body and may shake my head, (like stretch-out their earlobes with rings), but at the end of the day I don't care what they do to their selves. At least tattoos aren't like smoking.

• Like 1

I don't have any tats and have nothing against those that do. I see some that look ok.

I would have a hard time spending $500 on something I could not trade in or sell later when I got tired of it or changed my mind. Most $500 guns will hold there value or may even gain in value over the years. The tat is there forever and the money is gone forever. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I don't have any tats and have nothing against those that do. I see some that look ok.

I would have a hard time spending $500 on something I could not trade in or sell later when I got tired of it or changed my mind. Most $500 guns will hold there value or may even gain in value over the years. The tat is there forever and the money is gone forever. Just my 2 cents.

Thats why you get something meaningful. It took my boss almost a year for her to realize I have tats. Most short sleeve shirts cover them up. But one is pure awesome. Made my mom hate me for six months. But now, hell, I barely notice its even there. I will admit, neck, face, hands and forearms are a place I wouldnt personally get tattoos. But to each their own. 

Edited by RC3

....while drivin thru the new hamlet of "Rocky Top" (...formerly Lake City, and before then Coal Creek, TN --- the "lake city" name change didnt work either...)...

Far out, didn't even know that the name had changed.

Far as tats, never had the slightest yen to get one.

- OS

I got a cousin in the same boat. Has a neck tat and is unemployed. His attitude is that if someone doesn't hire him because of his tattoo then they're just ignorant aholes. He's 27 and lives with his mommy.

I’m sure you tried to tell him like it is. biggrin.gif

People judge you on your looks.....they get to do that. If you know you won’t ever care then it’s a non-issue.

I have a tat on my forearm I got in the military. I called in the early 80’s to see about having it removed. They told me I would have to come in for a consultation. I asked how much that would be and they said $400. I said “$400 for you to tell me how much it will cost to remove it?” They said yes. I still have it.
  • Like 4
I met the old road manager for The Rolling Stones at a bar. The guy told me he had a cock that hung below his knee and wanted to know if I wanted to see it. I was quite reluctant to say yes so I said nothing as he rolled up his pants leg and there was a chicken on a rope tattooed on his leg ......

It was Phil Kaufman and he gave me a signed copy of his book Road Mangler Deluxe , actually a very colorful and delightful person. Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 4

Thats why you get something meaningful. It took my boss almost a year for her to realize I have tats. Most short sleeve shirts cover them up. But one is pure awesome. Made my mom hate me for six months. But now, hell, I barely notice its even there. I will admit, neck, face, hands and forearms are a place I wouldnt personally get tattoos. But to each their own. 

I agree with you it should be something meaningful and only the individual person can know what that is for themselves.

I'm not sure how old you are RC3, but I just look back at what was meaningful to me 25 years ago and I'm not that sure it would be something I would want a permanent reminder of on my body. I'm in a different place in my life now and there are a few things from years ago that I am glad I can leave there and not carry with me everyday. Over time priorities change and I guess it would be hard for me to make such a permanent decision.

I have nothing against them in general but it's probably just not for me.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you it should be something meaningful and only the individual person can know what that is for themselves.

I'm not sure how old you are RC3, but I just look back at what was meaningful to me 25 years ago and I'm not that sure it would be something I would want a permanent reminder of on my body. I'm in a different place in my life now and there are a few things from years ago that I am glad I can leave there and not carry with me everyday. Over time priorities change and I guess it would be hard for me to make such a permanent decision.

I have nothing against them in general but it's probably just not for me.  Just my 2 cents.

I know it will eventually get me, regret cant be avoided, but at least its not offensive. Its grade A awesome. But its a matter of choice. I get that, thats why we are all different. And SPECIAL!!!!!!

• Like 1