HOME DEFENSE QUESTION

IMO, it depends on the configuration of your home, number of corners, walls, stairs, outside your home with neighbors close by, children in your bedrooms, etc.

When my burglar alarm went off at 3:00 A.M. some time ago, I grabbed my 870 shotgun and quickly realized it was to awkward and cumbersome for the twists, turns, configuration and stairs in my home. So I went back to my bedroom and grabbed my handgun.

Lots of things to consider and a practice session might be beneficial, as it was for me, and thankfully it was a false alarm. If the real thing happens, you best have all your bugs worked out and have a definitive plan and the proper tools to maximize your desired outcome.

What works best for one person probably won't be your best choice.

• Like 5

For me a handgun with a weapon mounted light is best for my situation. I also have a Mossberg 590 but it too has a mounted light. try each option you mentioned above both during the daylight hours then do a run through in the dark. my home defense plan includes the following, Glock 23 with streamlight tlr2,cell phone and a practiced plan. let us know what you decide on.

• Like 1

This is always fun.

Handgun:  Glock 22.  15 rounds of awesome .40 cal might with a light.

AR:  NO  Too much gun.

AK:  NO  Too much gun.

Shotgun:  12 gauge pump, 20" barrel or less.  No explanation needed.

• Like 4
Guest copperhead_1911

That is a huge amount of opinions on this. First one gun is never enough, Many people say the most basic thing is a good pump shotgun. I will agree, but what good does that do you if the dead rise. 

Shotgun, any cheap quality pump or semi auto 12 guage

handgun. I would advise 9mm as its easier to find ammo and you have more rounds. if you have a budget for more than one get a 45 acp as well. 9mm GLock, springfield xd and Beretta come to mind. DONT BUY A TAURUS except 1911 platform our their m92 copy.

Ar 15. STick with the main names like DPMS, smith and Wesson colt and so forth. They are coming back down in price. One reason I like the ar15 instead of the ar15 are as follows. 

The platform has gotten WAY BETTER ( from what I have been told) since Vietnam. 

You will find more .223 and if shtf that is what military and law enforcement will have. 

They are very accurate and a pretty good round. 

Great question. Good answers. Everyone has to think through it at some point. Glad you asked.

You. You, trained and rehearsed are the best home defense weapon... A firearm that fits your defense plan and training is an invaluable help. Get night sights and a light, period. Light, light, light. No one wants to be the guy that shot his wayward relative/kid/kids' friend because they went "bump" in the night. Can you reliably identify friend/foe with this weapon without your glasses?

Shotgun: great stopping power. Semi-auto helps recoil and keeps you from short-pumping in the middle of a gunfight. ...and, you still have to aim at "in home" distances. FYI: 00 buckshot with go through walls as well as most handgun and .223.

Handgun: one handed operation, easy to operate in tight spaces, but placing rounds in a man-sized target under combat stress has been shown to be difficult (police stats). Practice at the range under stress. (Push-ups until fail, then a 5 round group?) I wouldn't go under .40S&W, but many do, and will likely be fine.

AR: stopping power with the right round (TAP, Barnes TSX55gr) easy platform for optics and lights, good form enables easy shots on target. Easy recoil. But. Harder to maneuver in tight spaces; it has a barrel that a BG can use for leverage if you are late engaging and he is "on you". Of course, if your family is behind you, and the BG is in front of you, you can always shoot him off the end of the barrel. I've heard it works pretty well. Oh .. And an AR will make you deaf"er" than the other two indoors. 16" rifles are loud.

Think about how a criminal/crazy/drugthug might access your house and your family. Think about how you can successfully defend your family members against those assaults. (Screw the stuff in your house. Don't get stupid protective of stuff and raise your risk profile. Ensure your families' survival.) Whatever weapon best helps you do that is it.

Do you need to open doors and navigate turns or stairs to get to your kids, etc? That might influence you towards a handgun.

Do you have one pinch point that leads to access all of your family members? Maybe you rehearse getting all of them out of the probable line(s) of fire (and on the ground), and defend that point (with everyone to your rear and away from the line of fire). That might lend itself to a compact AR.

Whatever you get, practice ...safely. When you rehearse, clear your weapon and lock all of your ammo in a separate room and have someone double check you. (**edit:  a chamber flag is a really good idea) Know your lanes of fire - and what is beyond your "target". What are your safe lanes of fire in your house?

**How do you identify friend/foe? Family safeword? Etc?

http://www.panteaoproductions.com/instructors/massad-ayoob

- he has a decent video on HD - some good fodder for thought.

Important question? There are lots of smart folks on here.... Looking forward to what others have to say.

Edit: ... And if I still owned any weapons at all, I would have changed my HD weapon from a .40 handgun to an 16" AR with a 3x optic (No glasses, still able to do CQB ).. I would also be using Hornady TAP 75gr.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1

I have always been a fan of the 870 until i moved. I now have to navigate stairs and my strategy has changed with the addition of our daughter. I went to a Glock 21 with Tru Glo night sights and a TLR-1. 13 rounds of  .45 ACP (Speer gold dot 230 gr.). I find it easier to clear the stairs and some other awkward angles in the new home.

• Like 1

Besides the tactical issues, don't forget that if you are involved in an SD shoot, no matter how clean you think it is, you could face charges if the DA thinks otherwise, even if it's in your own home. Consider how the weapon used by you will play before a jury of non-gun-lovin' people.

Whatever you decide, create a plan and practice it.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

Thanks guys as always great answers - I live in a Townhome where homes are one next to another - shared walls so overpenetrating is an issue that is my biggest concern - i own few 9mm handguns that have lights on them and few AR's and was looking to get a Shotgun - so far my 1st.choice is the Handgun both for me and the wife 2nd is the AR15 due to its accuracy - still doing some research on what the best defense round is for my AR15 with lowest penetration possible.

And like many of you have said - practice and practice more with whatever you choose to use -  just this morning i saw on the news that there was a Home Invasion in Nashville and that the home owner was shot - 3 or 4 guys broke in the house - that is another thing to consider it seams now these days its always more then one person breaking in.

I live alone except for my dog and two cats so I don't have to worry about what weapon is best for my wife or older child nor do I have to go 'gather" them if someone breaks in which gives me some advantages. first of all, I can have one of my "tools" in my kitchen, living room, office, library, etc and not have to worry about little hands doing bad things and it means I have one of those tools available almost instantly...of course, you can accomplish pretty much the sane thing by carrying while home but my routine is that when I get home everything but the cloths (meaning watch, ring, folding knife, wallet, etc) get put in their usual spot on my upper kitchen counter along with my usual carry weapon.

In my bedroom I have one of those hand tools plus a  12ga pump on one side if the headboard and my SCAR 16s on the other along with a pair of electronic ear muffs (not only for my hearing protection but to amplify any sounds a bad guy(s) might be making.

As a general rule, I will always prefer to get to and use my SCAR (or an AR if I had one) for a number of reasons including easy of use, accuracy, optics (Trijicon Reflex), capacity and my Sig foregrip with a blinding/disorienting light integrated with it and with Hornaday TAP ammo, less chance of overpenetration. As I live in a neighborhood and my house is only partially brick, overperpetration is a real concern of mine and frankly, most handgun rounds (I use 10MM or 45ACP) are a bigger risk to overpenetration than the 5.56 round that I use.  I've trained extensively with all those weapons (not that I'm an expert by any means) and I practice what I would do if someone kicks in my door while I'm in my living room vs my office vs my bedroom, etc.

Will any of that work for you?  I can't tell you and I would say no one else can either; there are just too many factors.

If you've got a weapon now in a sufficient caliber (9MM being the minimum in my opinion) then you you have a home defense weapon and you can build from there depending on your situation.  If you are totally starting from scratch then I suggest that it's hard to beat a simply pump shotgun (and really, 20GA is more than sufficient and in may ways better than a 12GA).

Hope that helps some!

Depends on the room in the house I'm in. Usually a handgun with high intensity light attached. Favor 185 gr, 45 round with big hollow cavity in the nose.

You know...the fabled flying ashtray.

And here I thought it was the day of the week  :wave:

I've always found it best to keep my carry pistol nearby (whatever caliber I happen to be using), because it tends to be the firearm I'm most familiar with. That being said, I try to keep my .357 and/ or 12 guage nearby as a backup "just in case". The AK is just to cumbersome for me when I'm in the wake up haze, and I haven't had my AR long enough to be proficient with it.

I love this question! I keep a Glock 19 on my bedside table witha Crimson Trace laser guard. Next to it I have a Smith and Wesson model 36 38sp.  I my closet I keep a Hi-Point carbine with a laser dialed in a 25 yards and a single shot .410.  In the Den I keep a .380 behind the clock and in the kitchen I keep a Ruger LC-9 and a Walther P-22.

All my other guns are in the safe. I also have two good dogs in the house. They will bite and they will protect my wife to the death. It sounds strange being that I own bigger pistols, shotguns and rifles, but I feel well protected..

Edited by Will Carry

IMO, it depends on the configuration of your home, number of corners, walls, stairs, outside your home with neighbors close by, children in your bedrooms, etc.

When my burglar alarm went off at 3:00 A.M. some time ago, I grabbed my 870 shotgun and quickly realized it was to awkward and cumbersome for the twists, turns, configuration and stairs in my home. So I went back to my bedroom and grabbed my handgun.

Lots of things to consider and a practice session might be beneficial, as it was for me, and thankfully it was a false alarm. If the real thing happens, you best have all your bugs worked out and have a definitive plan and the proper tools to maximize your desired outcome.

What works best for one person probably won't be your best choice.

I have an 870 nearby, tube loaded with 00, but like you i'll depend on my handgun. I can't legally own a shotgun short enough for my liking to manuver around my small house, my G21 with 13 rounds of .45 is a decent choice for me. I always had a desire for a .45ACP carbine as short or shorter than an M3 Grease gun with an adjustable stock, at least an 8" barrell, a 20 rnd. capacity or larger mag., top and bottom rails for lights and lasers and AK reliability. That would make for a good close quarters defense weapon.

Masterpiece Arms makes a cool looking .45 carbine, it looks like a MAk 10 with a stock and a rail.

Edited by K191145

This is always fun.

Handgun:  Glock 22.  15 rounds of awesome .40 cal might with a light.

AR:  NO  Too much gun.

AK:  NO  Too much gun.

Shotgun:  12 gauge pump, 20" barrel or less.  No explanation needed.

I thought you had an old G23 gen 2? Did you pick up a G22 also?

Glock fever!! :rock: