Sams vs Costco

LI0NSFAN

I wholeheartedly recommend Costco over Sams any day of the week. If you have an executive membership you get cash back every year on all Costco purchases, 2% I believe. When you combine that with an American Express Business Card, you get 4% back on gas, 2% at restaurants, 2% on travel, including Costco, and 1% back on other purchases, including Costco. If you are credit card savvy, the membership easily pays for itself and you'll receive 2 cash back checks per year, one from Costco and the other from Amex. There are very few places nowadays that don't accept Amex so that's not even an issue. The quality of their goods is great and the return policy is excellent. Good luck Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17 Edited by blueghost

Someone already stated it but I will 2nd it. Costco-less selection but better quality. Sam's has more variety but the quality isn't as great.

The best of both worlds is BJ's but I don't think they have made it to TN. I get a free Sam's membership through work but since we moved it's not practical anymore to shop there.

We have a BJ's a mile from our house and we love it.

I'm a Sams guy. Its closer, but they also have the best return policy Ive ever heard of. My wifes grandfather bought a lawn mower there about 4 years ago. Well after mowing with it for two seasons he still didn't like it. I hauled it back for him, thinking the whole time that we were gonna get laughed outta the store. They looked at his receipt, asked if we drained the oil and fuel then gave him a full refund and even unloaded it from the truck for us. I was in shock. We go about once a month now for groceries and a few other things I buy in bulk.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I have had both and now just have Costco.  The Nashville Costcos are not posted.  I was in the Cool Springs location today carrying.  

Costco seems to have a little better quality merchandise than Sams.  Their store brand, Kirklands, is a good brand.  I have bought a lot of Kirlands merch from batteries to trash bags to food and its all been good quality.

To me, the difference between Sams and Costco is like the difference between Wal MArt and Target.  They both have the same basic stuff but Target is nicer.

This is surprising to me as they were posted 2 weeks ago...

Costco founder is a liberal d-bag. There are enough liberals getting money from me via taxes. I don't need to willingly give them money.

However, I agree that Costco is nicer.

Mark
  • Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

I believe this is what some are looking for:

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1005&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2837

Since Sams Club is owned and operated by Wal-Mart they have the same corporate policy, follow state law.

I've had both Sams and Costco memberships. Really depends on what you want the membership for IMO. Costco is geared more towards the large purchases like furniture, electronics, jewelry etc. While Sams is more like a Wal-Mart with a great grocery selection. I prefer Sams just because it is geared towards the everyday consumer.

My family recently made the switch from Costco to Sam's Club due to their anti carry policy.  We've been going there (Costco) for at least two years and I never saw it posted. Someone here on TGO had posted a link to http://friendorfoe.us/ a while back and I noticed that our Cool Springs Costco was listed as being posted.  Sure enough, next time we went I walked all around the front entrance area and finally saw it over on the far right side.  There is no way you can even see it coming in over by the liquor store on the left or through the "main entrance", only if you walk in from the far right.  So anyway we made the switch.

First thing I noticed is the people in Sam's "appear" much more down to earth then those in Costco, and there are certainly fewer Obama stickers on the cars out front.

Sam's pros:

not against CCW

Corp level membership a bit cheaper

Larger selection in several categories (particularly snacks, diapers, baby formula, protein powder)

Monthly coupons are automatic when you purchase sale item, no need to bring the coupon book in

Return policy seems on par with Costco so far

Sam's cons:

The "rewards" back on the corp level card are nowhere near as good as Costco's

Their "snack bar" food sucks.....bad

Costco pros:

Excellent return policy

Incredibly friendly workers

Better selection on clothing

Good rewards on corp membership.  (If you spend about $200 or more a month in there it covers your membership cost)

Costco cons:

Posted no carry

Limited selection in some catagories 

Low quantities of their seasonal items, so you have to know when its coming in otherwise it will be picked over pretty bad

• Like 1

My family recently made the switch from Costco to Sam's Club due to their anti carry policy.  We've been going there (Costco) for at least two years and I never saw it posted. Someone here on TGO had posted a link to http://friendorfoe.us/ a while back and I noticed that our Cool Springs Costco was listed as being posted.  Sure enough, next time we went I walked all around the front entrance area and finally saw it over on the far right side.  There is no way you can even see it coming in over by the liquor store on the left or through the "main entrance", only if you walk in from the far right.  So anyway we made the switch.

First thing I noticed is the people in Sam's "appear" much more down to earth then those in Costco, and there are certainly fewer Obama stickers on the cars out front.

Sam's pros:

not against CCW

Corp level membership a bit cheaper

Larger selection in several categories (particularly snacks, diapers, baby formula, protein powder)

Monthly coupons are automatic when you purchase sale item, no need to bring the coupon book in

Return policy seems on par with Costco so far

Sam's cons:

The "rewards" back on the corp level card are nowhere near as good as Costco's

Their "snack bar" food sucks.....bad

Costco pros:

Excellent return policy

Incredibly friendly workers

Better selection on clothing

Good rewards on corp membership.  (If you spend about $200 or more a month in there it covers your membership cost)

Costco cons:

Posted no carry

Limited selection in some catagories 

Low quantities of their seasonal items, so you have to know when its coming in otherwise it will be picked over pretty bad

That is a very helpful breakdown. It seems both are pretty equal in most areas. With Sams being owned by Wal-mart ( who has openly stated they want to run my wies company out of buisness) I have to decide between a company that attacks my wifes company or my carry rights. I think the only purchases we have made at WW in the last 8-9yrs are gun related. I think I will check to see if Costco here is posted and keep my membership until carry becomes an issue. It is getting harder and harder these days to agree with Corp policy.

• Like 1

... With Sams being owned by Wal-mart ( who has openly stated they want to run my wifes company out of buisness) I have to decide between a company that attacks my wifes company or my carry rights...

From my perspective, if Sams/Walmart put your wife's company out of business that would be more detrimental to your livelihood than shopping at Costco a few times a month.

Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17

From what I've seen, Sam's is the "Wal-Mart" and Costco is the "Target". I have a Sam's Club membership through a friend, so that's where I usually go. I have another friend who has a membership to Costco, so if I need something from there, he will pick it up for me.

x2

This is how I see it ...

I prefer Costco ,by my house its a cleaner and a little more upscale than my Sams

I have had both and now just have Costco.  The Nashville Costcos are not posted.  I was in the Cool Springs location today carrying.  

The Cool Springs store is still posted; they just moved the sign around where you can't see it If you come in from the south parking area.

Edited by daddyo

Costco founder is a liberal d-bag. There are enough liberals getting money from me via taxes. I don't need to willingly give them money.

However, I agree that Costco is nicer.

Costco donates and heavily supports the Obama and democrats, if that matters to anyone. I still shop there.   I like going to Costco's over Sam's just because it is nicer.  Sam's like Walmart just seems so cramped with merchandise.  I did some price checking on different items and what I found was there was no difference in price between the either on price per use basis. . That doesn't mean that there might not be some differences but all and all they are basically the same in price.  I do like that Sam's will cut meat for you, Costco will not.  

I have read that since Costco is a private club so therefore they can prohibit firearms on their premises without a posting because supposedly it is in your membership agreement.  

Could be but I am not a member and have not signed any kind of agreement with them.  If I am in there, I will just be going with a friend who is a member.  Also, IANAL but I don't know that there is any 'exception' in TN state law for private club agreements replacing legal postings.  I would guess that Costco could ask someone to leave (and pursue a trespassing charge if they did not) and maybe suspend/cancel their membership but don't see how carrying in stores that aren't posted would be in violation of the law (unless there is some nuance to the law of which I am unaware.)

Costco pays their employees better than Sam's or wal-mart for that matter. (If there was a costco closer to home, I would have put in for that place). Though i have never been in a costco, I heard it is nicer and better quality of stuff.

I just like sams because they are easier to find, memberships are cheaper( $35 a year) and Wal-mart employees get a discount there as well.

As others have said, costco is managed by leftists and supports leftists.  I can't help but remember the response letter I read several years ago in response to a customer's letter.  "We do not think the shopping experience is enhanced by carrying weapons" (paraphrasing, of course).  Those things are enough to make me anti-costco.  I will still occasionally shop at a business who halfheartedly makes an attempt to placate the sheep by posting a "no weapons" sign (like the Bearden Earthfare), but costco seems to go all out to make sure no one carries there.  

Sams is good enough for me.  

• Like 1

Shop at Costco and you might as well just be giving your money to anti gun campaigns.  No wonder we can't make any headway for gun rights, we have gun "enthusiasts" that are spending their money at places like Costco.  Sorry, but when it comes down to my beliefs there are no if, ands, or buts.

• Like 1