Opinions on a EDC Backpack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the maxpedition stuff... We've got a pile of them.  It seems to me that the Condor is about the right size to carry a laptop plus whatever ya put in a briefcase... Take a look at the maxpedition website (...maxpedition.com   ... i think....) and check out what they have and shop around for the best price... We've bought lots of this stuff off e-bay...

leroy

Edited by leroy

It's not super tacti-cool - but I recently swapped my maxpedition to a Powerbag by Ful.  I carry the sling-style and it's got two big compartments.  When it's not on my belt, I carry my handgun in the front compartment and my laptop in the rear.  And it has the advantage of charging my phone/tablet on the go!

They have several full-size backpacks that I've been looking at possibly upgrading into.  I think I paid less than $30 for my sling style on Woot! and I see the full size bags on there regularly for about that same price.

- V

I used to carry a backpack a lot when I had a laptop and traveled regularly for work.  I found it to be much easier to deal with, primarily since it keeps both hands free.  Way better than any sort of typical laptop bag/briefcase.  I could put all the work stuff I needed plus a couple days clothes all in one bag and it still fit as a carry-on. 

While the Maxpedition stuff is excellent quality, I used a traditional student backpack simply to avoid the "tacti-cool" appearance.  I guess that look is more common now than it was 10 years ago, but I just preferred a more innocuous look.  The pack I had came from either LLBean or Lands End and held up fine with daily use for about 5 years (then I changed jobs and quit using it). 

Maxpedition makes great bags but I'm beginning to realize there are others out there far more comfortable.

Has anyone actually hiked with their Maxpedition or used it for longer than a few minutes to and from your car? Their shoulder straps are extremely uncomfortable after a short period of time.

I prefer the Gearslinger line by Maxpedition, because I never use both straps of a backpack anyway and I like being able to swing around to the front to get gear out without taking it off.

I have a Sitka and a Kodiak. The Sitka is my EDC and I find it "just" big enough for a regular size laptop. Some might find it to be too tight of a fit, though. If so, the Kodiak works great.

I bought 4 of these 3 day backpacks last year from LA Police Gear, http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html, the price was good and the quality is excellent. I got one for each family member.

I carry it in my vehicle with bug out gear and I use the lower front compartment for 2 handguns, 1 large, 1 small, extra mags and even a few different holsters I like to use. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but I hope that helps.The pack has been very durable, during the course of a week I drive several different vehicles, company service truck, personal car & trucks, etc. so I am constantly transferring it to different vehicles or bringing it into my office.

L.A. Police gear is clearancing out several Maxpedition bags and I think the gear slinger is one of them. I have a 5.11 MOAB Rush 10 which is a sling bag that I like. 5.11 has some nice bags and Nashville Armory (and several other places like Academy and BPS) carry them. Most of the 5.11 bags have a compartment set up for a handgun. They also have a Covert bag that is not tactical looking, just looks like a backpack.

I can't seem to find one I like...I have several Maxpedition, 511, LAPG, etc, and I outgrow them.  The Maxpdition seems the best made. The one Im using now is not maxpedition, I think it may be the Condor 140 Tactical MOLLE Sling Bag NIP.  I really like the size and compartment layout as it suits me perfectly with room to spare...what I dont like is that the quality seems to be lacking...I admit to loading it kinda heavy for EDC, but after a couple months of daily use, the seams in the shoulder strap have loosened some and will not last me...if Maxpoedition made one exactly like this I would buy it!  Max is the best quality bag I have.  I normally carry in it:  My iPad, a couple multitools, first aid stuff (very small) several full mags for my .45, 9mm and .380, my primary backup gun, and either my secondary backup gun or my primary gun if Im wearing my backup, a large, hardbound book, checkbooks, pens, extra daily meds, 2 water bottles, couple flashlights and backup power cables/plugs for my ipad and iphone...plus probably some other junk too, lol.

Ive been thinking lately  about using 2 bags...one with the stuff that I wont need everywhere, and lkeave that one in the car and carry in and out of work and places like that a muchg smaller max bag I already have...this probably makes more sense.

I rfeally like the Max sling bags and have one of those I think may be the Malaga (Not sure since Max does not label their bags).  I asked Max which is their biggest Gearslinger and they said it was the Monsoon, but I dont like the layout of that one...Does anyone know the biggest Gearslinger other than that?

In an office environment, the more innocuous looking the bag, the better. I use a Northface Recon as my laptop/EDC bag.  It has enough room to carry whatever you need for work, plus other essentials for EDC, but its not so big that its uncomfortable for work use.  If I'm not mistaken, Northface has a lifetime warranty on their stuff too.

• Administrator

I need to do a review on mine, but here's what I carry and I recommend it without hesitation:

soc-5041-o-blk_01_1.jpg

Sandpiper of California (SOC) Three-Day Pass Elite

http://shop.sandpiperca.com/index.php/gear-packs/three-day-elite-black.html

I have had this bag for exactly one year.  I got it last September right before my dad passed away and immediately started using it for business travel and every-day gear toting.  It has absolutely shrugged off a mountain of abuse.  It looks as good today as it did when it was brand new.  ZERO signs of wear.

I've crammed it under airplane seats, in overhead compartments and stuffed it under chairs on busses.  I've thrown it in and out of my Jeep, carried it daily to work, and kicked it under more desks than I can count.  It's carried not one but two laptops AND an iPad simultaneously and in complete safety to the devices and comfort to me.  It's the only backpack I have found yet that doesn't scream "Tacticool" but has dozens of cubbies and pockets suitable for the prepared, armed individual.

The main compartment has a padded sleeve for a laptop as well as a bladder pocket for hydration.  The next largest compartment is lined with three heavy duty vertical strips of velcro to which you affix three included mesh zipper packs which are perfect for holding laptop power supplies, cords, toiletries, and sundries.

A series of pockets and flaps cover the front of the pack and hide several compartments sealed off from the elements, a typical pens/pencils office supplies organizer, etc.  The pack is covered in various places with color-matched MOLLE loops for additional attachment points.

The straps are HEAVY DUTY and padded for comfort.  There's a "drag loop" at the top of the pack that works just fine for a handle.  The shoulder straps have a comfortable chest-strap that can tie them together and spread even more of the load across the wearer's upper body.

The back of the pack has extraordinarily comfortable and durable padding panels that are designed to comfort your back and channel air-flow to keep your back from getting sweaty.

I really can't say enough good things about this pack and wish I had the sort of funds to just give them away to people.  You can find them online for around $100.

SOCThreeDayPassElite-6.jpg

SOCThreeDayPassElite-5.jpg

SOCThreeDayPassElite-3.jpg

SOCThreeDayPassElite-2.jpg

SOCThreeDayPassElite-1.jpg

Guest The Itis

Use any quality school backpack, that swiss gear stuff is great with lifetime warranty, and they handle more than what you'd carry daily (unless you carry full college load of textbooks daily, then yeah it's good for that)

That Sandpiper looks good, I'm going to have to look into that.

Man-pack (not Man-packs) is another nice looking bag that I'll probably get for school. I like the messenger bag style for a CCW man-purse so I can swing it around and access the gun.
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been using a GoRuck GR1 for over a year now...by far my favorite edc type backpack. I have Maxpedition stuff and like them but they are too flashy for my particular everyday needs. The GR1 is very durable (check out the goruck challenge) and just the right size for me.

I have the LA police gear 3 day backpack. I had to oil the zippers to get them to work properly, otherwise it's a fine bag. That said, I never use it. It's covered with molle fasteners, coyote brown, screams tactical, military, etc. Might as well carry a sign that says, GUN ON BOARD.  It's also way too big unless, well, you're gone for three days. :ugh:  I guess I should have figured that out from the name.

My primary carry bag is a shoulder strap sports bag with the gun in the hidden wet clothes compartment.