Car carry questions

After the biker attack in NYC, I've been rethinking my EDC. Usually, I carry a single stack 9mm or 380... easy to conceal, easy to carry in most any clothing... but I only have 7-8 rounds of ammo.

So here's my thoughts. Any time 8 rounds is NOT enough, 11 rounds is not going to be enough either, so going double stack is not the solution for me. I'd like to increase my capacity to at least 30 rounds, but I'm unsure how to do that. Obviously, I could carry a 2nd mag, but that's only 7 more rounds.

My thinking is maybe I should have a double stack "car gun" in 9mm or 40cal with 2 spare hi-cap mags, but I don't like leaving a gun in a car when I'm away from it.  My car has a couple of great places to hide a larger gun, but those locations aren't accessible from the driver's seat.

I could carry a rifle in the back, but again, if it's not accessible from the driver's seat, it's not going to be available in an incident like the one in NYC.

Thoughts?

There's no sure answer for every situation, but you can try to be as prepared as possible. Higher capacity is going to mean going a little larger too. I own several Berettas & have 9mm mags for them in 17, 18, & 20 round capacities. The 17 & 18 round mags fit flush & the 20 round mag only sticks down 1/2" below the grip so I could easily carry up to 40 rounds & only have to carry one extra mag. They make 30 round mags for my Berettas, but IMO in a SHTF situation I feel the extra length of the mag could pose some problems in a confined space.

My f350 has a big sky rack holding an AR and a shotgun, after the biker thing I'm seriously considering adding a similar setup to the beetle.

IMG_2156.jpg

In the truck I have a pelican case under the seat for ammo not sure what the beetle may will end up with since it doesn't have as much room under the seats.

10027248533_a371fff9d8.jpg

• Like 4

Personally, I have a EDC backpack that I usually carry that has a zippered compartment for a hand gun in the passenger seat. I normally conceled carry a 9mm and a 45 in the handgun compartment of my backpack. It is usually easier to get to my 45 than it is my 9mm. As far as a AR in the back seat, it would seem to me in the situation with the bike attack, after pulling off a few rounds with the 45, it would give me time to grab the AR in the backseat. If the situation with the bikes had happened to me, the guy that starting attacking with the helment would have been dead immediatly. I may have gotten killed in the process but he was to close to the drivers window to have walked away.

As has been alluded to in the other thread.... I feel sure if a couple shots had been fired, the gang would've scattered like roaches when the light comes on.  Unless you're in a war zone where gun shots are normal and people are used to being shot at, I don't think a 100 rd drum would be necessary. 

That said, I'm also going to re-think what and how I carry in the car.

Edited by peejman

I carry a G26, G27 or one of my other weapons in an IWB holster when not in the car and like jbravo I keep a backpack on the passenger seat with my weapon at the ready whenever I am driving. That whole biker thing puts self defense while driving in a new light. I have looked at some of the straps/holsters that fasten to the steering column as another option; but as long as I can reach my protection I feel comfortable.

As much as everyone wants to go with they "they would scatter" theory   one has to ask...

what happens when 6 or 8 of those bikers skin their smoke wagons  and your family is part of the the backstop ?

it can easily go both ways once guns started getting pulled  they run and you are OK or they decide to shoot back and you cant hit them all

they were already in a highly agitated state so you pull a gun and shoot the helmet guy do you really think they're just going to run away ?  maybe so maybe not  

the odds are bad enough at 3 to 1  anyone thinks 30 to 1 is any better needs their thought process evaluated.

Nobody wins in this situation 

There's no sure answer for every situation, but you can try to be as prepared as possible. Higher capacity is going to mean going a little larger too. I own several Berettas & have 9mm mags for them in 17, 18, & 20 round capacities. The 17 & 18 round mags fit flush & the 20 round mag only sticks down 1/2" below the grip so I could easily carry up to 40 rounds & only have to carry one extra mag. They make 30 round mags for my Berettas, but IMO in a SHTF situation I feel the extra length of the mag could pose some problems in a confined space.

Second.
I keep a px4 and a great camo army surplus mag holder I got from Cherokee that holds 3 mags. I keep 2 seventeen round mags and a twenty round mag in the bag with a 20 round in the gun.

It sounds like you're interested in capacity. Lots of great set ups to choose from. Go with it.

I carried a P90 and an extra mag for years. Now I carry M&P .40 with three 15 round mags and one in the chamber and still feel like I'm short. If I wasn't worried about leaving my AR in the truck overnight, I'd love to have it in there also. I just hate carrying it out everyday with nosey neighbors, yeah it's in a case, but until I get a guitar case like in The Mexican, it looks like a gun case. What's sad, is so many people would be just like the family in the suv, no way to protect themselves, and I'm mad because I only have 46 rounds at all times along with a 100 round box of ammo in the console. I carry this every day in and out of the car, all day long except while inside at work. I guess most are happy to lay down and be a victim, not me.....well and most of y'all on TGO as well.

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 4
Cool topic but,Whatever you do, leave a set of earplugs readily available. In a car having one mag in and 2 spares should get you out of anything. Not having ears or hearing protection will make you hate life and say HUH longer than you care to. I keep a set hanging on my gear shift in every vehicle I drive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

My f350 has a big sky rack holding an AR and a shotgun, after the biker thing I'm seriously considering adding a similar setup to the beetle.

IMG_2156.jpg

In the truck I have a pelican case under the seat for ammo not sure what the beetle may will end up with since it doesn't have as much room under the seats.

10027248533_a371fff9d8.jpg

What size Pelican case is that? ( model #).  Like the set-up wondering if there is a way to install the roof rack like you have in my durango without having to drill into the steel.

I keep an AK in the truck. Usually have a spare mag or two with it. However, I don't think there are too many people out there who will play after getting 30 rds barked at 'me from an AK. Generally speaking, criminals don't have a death wish. They will resort to flight mode when met with equal or superior violence 99% of the time.
  • Like 1

Cool topic but,Whatever you do, leave a set of earplugs readily available. In a car having one mag in and 2 spares should get you out of anything. Not having ears or hearing protection will make you hate life and say HUH longer than you care to. I keep a set hanging on my gear shift in every vehicle I drive....

I agree completely but you really think you'd have the time, much less the presence of mind, to put in earplugs?

• Like 1

What size Pelican case is that? ( model #).  Like the set-up wondering if there is a way to install the roof rack like you have in my durango without having to drill into the steel.

The Pelican is an 1150, It was too large for it's original intended purpose(shipping hard drives to FOBs in 'stan) so I kept trying different uses for it and pmag storage was the one that stuck. I like being able to throw the mags into a bed box without them getting wet/oily/dirty/crushed when I'm in less than friendly states.(IL mainly)

• Like 1

Luckily I've only needed a weapon while in my vehicle once, and that was a crazy night in MS post Katrina, since that night I try and carry enough weapons I can arm others who might be with me in case of emergency. Sometimes that's a couple pistols that can share mags, sometimes it's an AR, Shotgun, my carry that day, and my BUG if it's on me. This is because having a pistol was better than nothing but in our case we had potential aggressors lining both sides of a very narrow road leading to a bridge and I would have given anything to have an extra handgun so we could at least have a gun covering the crowd on both sides of the truck at the same time.

I ALWAYS have ears otherwise the helicopters landing on the roof next door tend to give me headaches.  :rant:  

Concealed carry and high capacity do not go well together. I keep an M&P 40 and an extra mag in the car regardless of what I’m carrying.

However, since you are concerned about the motorcycle attack I will offer by 2 cents on that. The best weapon may not always be a gun, especially if you have your wife and children with you. The victim in the bike attack rendered the best weapons he had (his vehicle and cell phone) useless when he took that exit ramp. I’m sure he was scared, but he let that fear cause him to lose situational awareness and defensive thinking.

He had already shown the bikers that he would not hesitate to run over their sorry azzes if they attacked him. So as long as he was moving on that highway he was safe; they weren’t going to get in front of him. He exited and put himself in a traffic jam; his vehicle was no longer a weapon; it was rendered useless.

Would a gun have done him any good? We don’t know, but if you have a large group of people after you in a carry state like Tennessee and you start shooting people; I would bet rounds would be inbound. While we are all 10 foot tall and bullet proof our wives and children are not.

I don’t blame the guy for being scared; but he had a better weapon than a gun and he panicked and gave it up. I think that’s the lesson to ponder here.

• Like 3

I agree completely but you really think you'd have the time, much less the presence of mind, to put in earplugs?

Completely debatable. Trust me,shoot once in a car w no ears you'll never forget it. Every situations different.....most guys don't think about it...

Guest ThePunisher
Thinking that the biker attack in NY could happen anywhere and anytime, that's the reason I recently purchased an AR 15 pistol with spare 40 rd. mags. and keep it in a variety of covert carry bags in the vehicle while driving, and could also legally carry it around in a bag outside of the vehicle with my HCP. Also concealed carry .380 in front pocket and a CZ pistol .40 or .9mm in a small covert carry bag in front seat with extra mags. These biker type gangs and large gatherings of thugs are occurring more frequently, and you never know when you might be a target. Earplugs on the console beside me.

After the biker attack in NYC, I've been rethinking my EDC. Usually, I carry a single stack 9mm or 380... easy to conceal, easy to carry in most any clothing... but I only have 7-8 rounds of ammo.

So here's my thoughts. Any time 8 rounds is NOT enough, 11 rounds is not going to be enough either, so going double stack is not the solution for me. I'd like to increase my capacity to at least 30 rounds, but I'm unsure how to do that. Obviously, I could carry a 2nd mag, but that's only 7 more rounds.

My thinking is maybe I should have a double stack "car gun" in 9mm or 40cal with 2 spare hi-cap mags, but I don't like leaving a gun in a car when I'm away from it.  My car has a couple of great places to hide a larger gun, but those locations aren't accessible from the driver's seat.

If you shoot one or two, the rest will find good reasons to leave as quickly as possible. I personally witnessed a mob of several hundred dispersed by one shot from a shotgun by an 80 year old jeweler. Breaking glass and pellets left a couple of the mob bleeding and screaming. The rest disappeared faster than scared monkeys.
I could carry a rifle in the back, but again, if it's not accessible from the driver's seat, it's not going to be available in an incident like the one in NYC.

Thoughts?

If you shoot one or two, the rest will find good reasons to leave as quickly as possible. I personally witnessed a mob of several hundred dispersed by one shot from a shotgun by an 80 year old jeweler. Breaking glass and pellets left a couple of the mob bleeding and screaming. The rest disappeared faster than scared monkeys. Edited by jaysouth