the tgo receiver build thread

reed1285

Mine shot great, and to the point of impact with the cheesy back up sights I put on it. I haven't mounted a scope yet. Not sure which way to go there.

The only glitch I see is my feed ramps are either very sharp or burred, as my brass and bullets are scuffed by them.

Got pictures? Still using GI mags?

• Like 1

I'm hoping to swing by the Hobson Pike range after getting off work around lunch time tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out and sight in the red dot!!

Here is the most recent pic: IMG_20131210_195623_206_zps36f29a32.jpg

I've since added a Tapco end plate w/sling attachment and got a basic Blackhawk single point sling. That thing is gunna get replaced soon after the new year.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to swing by the Hobson Pike range after getting off work around lunch time tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out and sight in the red dot!!

Here is the most recent pic: IMG_20131210_195623_206_zps36f29a32.jpg

I've since added a Tapco end plate w/sling attachment and got a basic Blackhawk single point sling. That thing is gunna get replaced soon after the new year.

Don't run any UltraMax through it, eh?

- OS

Finally got my 300 Blackout build done, after ruining one upper and having to buy another from trout. Apparently the barrel extension pin needed a good whack with a hammer and punch. It was contacting the threads on my barrel nut and malformed them, which then malformed the receiver threads. Thanks a lot AAC.

8XUn5bS.jpg

Edited by JeffL
  • Like 1

I found mine to be easier to put together than most of the crap my wife buys the kids for Christmas.

I know very little about AR stuff, but these receivers seem to be of very good quality. I know I'm happy with mine. Thanks Cross Machine  Tool! :up: :usa:

I like having things that were manufactured here in Tennessee.

Edited by gregintenn

What I have done so far.

CMT Upper and Lower Receiver

MAS Defense Pistol Tube w/ Phase 5 Foam Tube

Ironworks Tactical LPK

Noveske QD End Plate

ALG ACT Trigger - This thing is great for a slightly upgraded stock trigger.
Seekins Bolt Catch and Magazine Release Button

BAD-ASS Ambi Safety Selector 

Custom (300 BLACKOUT) Ejection Port Cover

Custom Stippled Umbrella Corp Grip 23 - Awesome for a pistol build. 

Still looking for KNS pins and a Norgon Ambi-Catch Magazine Release.

y036.jpg

muaf.jpg

• Like 1

Pistol only for now. Stock that came with the kit is in another county. That is not the TGO upper. I'm going to put a 14.5 on the TGO upper and get a little more spendy with the parts. The pistol will end up on an 80% I am lining up. .

I am a little leery of getting on lists. Though I do also want to stay scrupulously legal. It may be worth it for a suppressor at some point.

Edited by tnguy
Took mine to Hobson Pike today and all is well with the rifle. I only had a few minutes to shoot and put 35 rounds through it. No hiccups and all was smooth.

I'm not used to red dots. I forgot to bring any binocs/spotting scope with me today, as I loaded the car at 5:30 this morning as I was getting ready for work. :/ I couldn't even tell what I was doing for about the first 10 rounds at 25 yds. The guy beside me was super nice and let me borrow his spotting scope for a couple minutes. I moved the dot up and right, which got me putting them in about an inch and a half to two inch groups centered around the bullseyes. I was pretty rushed and was not doing my best work, but that seems extra awful at just 25yds. I'm not a rifle expert, but I'm used to groups that size with my 270 at 100yds - better when I take my time and keep the barrel cool. What am I supposed to expect with a 3 MOA dot in a sight with no magnification? I've never had a red dot before, so I don't know what a reasonable expectation of accuracy would be with it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Took mine to Hobson Pike today and all is well with the rifle. I only had a few minutes to shoot and put 35 rounds through it. No hiccups and all was smooth.

I'm not used to red dots. I forgot to bring any binocs/spotting scope with me today, as I loaded the car at 5:30 this morning as I was getting ready for work. :/ I couldn't even tell what I was doing for about the first 10 rounds at 25 yds. The guy beside me was super nice and let me borrow his spotting scope for a couple minutes. I moved the dot up and right, which got me putting them in about an inch and a half to two inch groups centered around the bullseyes. I was pretty rushed and was not doing my best work, but that seems extra awful at just 25yds. I'm not a rifle expert, but I'm used to groups that size with my 270 at 100yds - better when I take my time and keep the barrel cool. What am I supposed to expect with a 3 MOA dot in a sight with no magnification? I've never had a red dot before, so I don't know what a reasonable expectation of accuracy would be with it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Depends on how accurate you're wanting... naturally if you want ragged holes you'll want a magnified optic, but remember some folks in the mil were expected to hit targets out to 500 yards with irons.  Most red dots have a much finer dot than the width of the front sight post so you can be even more precise and consistent.  Having good eyesight certainly helps!   Just keep working on the fundamentals and it'll tighten up.

My mindset is that hitting "minute of center mass" (ie, about the size of a paper plate) on a man sized target out to 300m is good enough (even though my rifle is capable of much tighter groups than that) and technically you shouldn't need any optic at all to be able to do that, so magnified or not any optic is a plus.

Edited by Refleks

Musicman, what did you use to zero with? Was your point of aim consistent throughout the whole process, there's several possible reasons for getting 2 inch groups at that distance.. Not a Carbine expert, just spent a few years with uncle sugar (hit a few 300m targets with irons a few times)

Things to look at:

- Point of Aim

- breathing

- trigger finger

- holding your rifle

at 25 yards (meters) you should be stacking bullets on top of bullets or at least side by side. I'm doing reddots or magnified optics due to me being near sided.

If you haven't, I highly recommend you read black rifles green eyes by Kyle Lamb, Ret. SGM, US Army (SFOD-D), there's a lot more in that book than what I was thought in the Army that covers more in depth items. If you want, I can let you borrow my copy if you want, I'm usually in Smryna a few days a week. 

my go to Ar, I ran with just irons (matech buis in the rear).. 

Edited by Joseg