Scalper rant

tercel89

Yep, the older I get , the more I seem to bitch. I promised my wife that I will try to stop complaining and be more positive . I will do this but before I stop the bitching , let me make one more complaint :  The Walmart Ammo Scalpers . I went back to the hunting and fishing section of Walmart looking at their selection of the Leatherman's and Pocket Multi-tools. While there it seemed like a cattle gate holding back some giant angry bulls . A whole lot of idiots hoarding the ammo that had just came it. I dont blame the guys for buying ammo when you see it . But here's the part that bothers me . When I did leave , I sat in my car a minute arranging some paperwork. Then I saw the  same group of guys come out of the store that bought the ammo . They all  met over at one guys truck who then took all the  ammo and then looked like he was paying them for it . I am pretty sure this guy paid them a small fee for buying it and then he will probably jack up the price and sell it 3-4 times more than what he paid for it at Walmart . I know this is all legal but man ...... Ok I feel better now .

• Like 3

The last GS I attended in Knoxvillle one of the vendors had several bricks of .22 Baikal a single brick of Super Colibri 8 or 9 boxes of  Aguila SSS for sale @ $5 a box or $50 a brick. Hadn't seen any SSS  recently so I bought 2 boxes for myself and went on my way. Returned a few minutes later to find all the .22 gone to one buyer . Ouch! (sound of kicking my own ass) You are not alone.. 

I'm all about deals and I'm even for buying cheap and stacking deep... but these Walmart scalpers are rediculous. I doubt they even shoot. Honestly, there are better ways to make money than ammo hoarding. Seems that this is going to be the future since it has been over a year now and people are still doing it with no end in sight.

• Like 1

Sadly, this is the new reality. At least for the foreseeable future.

No, I don't like nor agree with it, but the alternative seems to be constantly stopping in and checking for ammo; or hoping that the online sellers have some reasonably priced.

That's the thing about supply and demand... It would stand to reason that if there is enough demand then another supply will open up. And that other supply won't be walmart. I have never associated their store with anything positive anyhow. IMO Poor service, poor selection and poor quality. That's a lot of poor in one place.

And thanks to these guys, a Federal 9mm 100 round package is almost 30% more expensive. Used to be $20 plus tax, now it's almost $26 plus tax. All because the market shows it will bear it.

If these guys would go away (and they won't), demand would come down and the price would drift back towards where it was. In the meanwhile, welcome to paying .45 prices for 9mm.

My local Academy Sports has consistently had ammo in all calibers in stock. May not be the same in your location but I haven't shopped at Walmart for ammo since Academy opened here.

The one near me has everything except .22.  The guys behind the counter tell me the same people are waiting every time a shipment comes in.

I was thinking of commenting that walmart doesn't care who buys the ammo. But I understand the shortage of has been affecting rifle sales. I'd imagine that advertising a free box of 22 with each rifle would have them flying off shelves

• Like 1
Well, I was just in a LGS in my town that is selling 50 round zip lock bags of bucket-O-bullets for $7.98. So, what is the difference between the two?

If that bucket had 2800 rounds that equates to $446.88 a bucket and I know damn well they are not paying even half of that for them.

1. A whole lot of idiots hoarding the ammo that had just came it. I dont blame the guys for buying ammo when you see it .

2. They all  met over at one guys truck who then took all the  ammo and then looked like he was paying them for it.

Obviously pre-planned and organized after a tip off/phone call from a Wally World employee (probably got paid for the tip off also) since they all met at the same time. Takes awhile to set it up to get it all I'd imagine. Dude has himself an ammo business on the side at everyone else's expense.
  • Like 2

I don't know of anybody buying ammo from scalpers.  Who are they selling it too?

It damned sure aint me .  There is a guy at my brother's work who does the same thing and people are paying his high prices. Kinda crappy that you are making 300-400% off of your co-workers and friends.

Thinking about starting another thread.  A thread with a list of people who may be willing to DONATE 50 rounds of .22 lr to any youngster in the local area who needs some for practice or hunting.  Maybe it would keep some people from buying from the scalpers.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  

Will

Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 1

Thinking about starting another thread.  A thread with a list of people who may be willing to DONATE 50 rounds of .22 lr to any youngster in the local area who needs some for practice or hunting.  Maybe it would keep some people from buying from the scalpers.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  

Will

I would love to, but I wouldn't know whether to trust that the person wasn't going to post it on Armslist for $75! GRRR!

• Like 5