Stupid me-don't open the door for ANYONE

This is something I have preached to my girlfriend over and over. We don't open the door for anyone.

But stupid me, breaking my own rule. 20 minutes ago I had just finished dinner and was in the process of unloading the dishwasher when I got a knock on the door. My GF has this ridiculous Christmas sign on the front door that was covering the peep hole so I couldn't see anyone.

It's dark out already and I turned on the porch light which is a pretty good one. As soon as I turn on the light I hear a woman's voice. "heelloooo".

For some reason I will never know I opened the door.I initially thought it was one of my GF's friends stopping by unexpectedly. It sounded like her but in hindsight I should have asked who it was. Anyways, on my porch is a well dressed young hispanic woman. I was holding my Ruger LCR out of sight behind the door and my 2 dogs were at my feet trying to catch a peek. She was holding a 3 pack of Clorox wipes. Her story was that her boss just opened a new store in town that sold cleaning products for floors. (Since when to people use clorox wipes on floors)?

About that time I noticed the outline of a male standing at the end of my sidewalk just in the shadows where my porch light doesn't reach.

She claimed that her boss paid her just to talk to people and that I didn't have to buy anything if I let them inside to discuss it. She claimed that she got paid just for going into the home to talk to someone. Starting to sound suspicious yet?

I cut her off a few minutes after that and told her it wasn't a good time. She was well dressed, friendly and non-threatening but the entire thing seems suspicious. 

1)who gets paid just for going inside someones house? How would her boss know how many she visits?

2) why was the man hiding in the shadows where I couldn't see him?

3)why are they coming after dark?

It was enough to make me call the non emergency number for the county sheriff and the dispatcher seemed to agree it sounded suspicious. 

To me- it seemed like a ploy to get inside someones house to see what they have. Maybe her intentions were harmless but I can't help think this could have ended badly for me. Next time I will ignore the knocks.

• Like 1

you did explain to the girlfriend  that opening the door was an object lesson for her. you wanted to show her what could happen other wise you have never opened it.

Hah...ya that's the ticket. I'll use that excuse when she gets home. She's at work tonight.

You are right to have raised suspicions. This is a common tactic to get a look at your stuff. I usually ask for their door to door permit and that runs them off....except last time. I asked the guy ( who saw my gun in hand and was visibly nervous) for his. He shakily retrieved a city door to door permit. I thanked him and sent him on his way.I never let anyone in my house unless they are a close friend. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

Definitely suspicious Erik, glad it didn't turn out to be more serious. I made a similar mistake several years ago. My wife, daughter, and I were all asleep in the apartment. A knock on the door and I opened it, my pistol laying on the coffee table, and found a HUGE black man in his late teens/early 20's holding magazines. I had no shirt on, and was a big time weight lifter then so I had muscles everywhere that I have extra cushion now. That may have been the only reason he only made me tell him "No thanks" twice (2nd time not so nice) and walked on. Maybe 30 minutes later, cops are everywhere in the circle drive and seems this big piece of $&#*@! decided that an elderly man several buildings down was an easier target and shoved his way in the house and beat him. I'm assuming to rob and run, but seems the old guy fought back so he didn't get anything. I was really hoping I'd find that slime walking down a dark road in the following weeks, I'd loved to have gave him a fair fight!

I've always been suspicious of uninvited visitors, but let me tell you, that really pissed me off and set me at a much higher level of alertness. Now I'm like you were, pistol always on my side, in my hand at the door, and watching everything. 

Erik, I though you would have learned after the wreath incident to not cover or obstruct the peephole.

Unfortunately, in this day and age if someone's knocking on the door, especially after dark, they are usually up to no good.

When was the last time you successfully won an argument with your wife?  :cool:

If Kelly wants to put a decoration on the front door, she's going to do it.

• Like 2

Rule number 1; I don't let anybody into my house unless I know them and they have a legitimate reason for being there.

#2; I don't open the door unless I want to, you can hammer and ring the bell all you want but if you do it more than once, I call the Sheriff. 

And I watch you till a deputy gets here. It stops a lot of BS. 

• Like 1

Yep, I know the story well. It's best explained to girl friends, wives and your children as, "do as I say and not as I do" :rant:

Glad everything worked out well this time but red flags seemed to be popping up one after another. Yep, I know how it is, been there - done that...

Sounds like they were up to no good. Maybe your gf won't notice if you drill a hole in the Christmas sign so you can use the peephole. Good policy, don't open the door. Even if they were legitimate I'm sure you don't want to waste a bunch of time talking about cleaning supplies or whatever else they are selling at the time.

Glad I live out in the country. In the 22 years I've lived in the Louisville, TN area I've only had one person knock on the door after dark and it was a Blount County Sheriff's Deputy telling me a car ran through the fence down at the road and asking who owned the horses. I can count on 1 hand the ones that knocked during the daytime. I'm lucky to live where I do.The long driveway deters folks I guess.

I will argue a bit.

I have a friend who's wife sold kitchen knives for a bit, she did get paid (not much $10 or $15) just to be at someone's house to show them.

However I will agree that situation does seem suspicious.

Even if they were up to no good, it did turn out good for you.

You were being setup for a robbery or scam either right then or down the road based on your account. Most thieves want in the house, they want to see what you have and test your weak points and assess your home.
People are scum and will go to unheard of extremes to pull some crap for a few bucks. Fraudsters will never die off as long as they can feed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1
They were selling vacuums. It's the exact pitch we used when I got caught up in that buisness. 1)you go to the door with a free gift and give the story of floor cleaning products. If the homeowner agrees you give them the free gift (floor whipes in this case) and the "manager" grabs a vacuum and rushes in the door before the homeowner has a chance to change their mind or object. 2) they actually do get paid for just giving the demo. It's like if you give 10 demos a week you get $300 or something similar. 3) most of them are on probation or drug heads. I got I. The job because I was young and naive. It was an eye opening experience for sure. I don't think they were trying to rob you but I agree 100% that you shouldn't let those people in your house. Cause let's face it they are salesman today but who knows what tomorrow brings.
  • Like 1

I will argue a bit.

I have a friend who's wife sold kitchen knives for a bit, she did get paid (not much $10 or $15) just to be at someone's house to show them.

However I will agree that situation does seem suspicious.

Even if they were up to no good, it did turn out good for you.

Anyone at my door with kitchen knives isn't going to like my response.  Others who show up will usually only see the response of my hounds before they decide to find someone to be their (customer or criminal) victim.  No one is selling anything I need door to door, day or night.

When was the last time you successfully won an argument with your wife? :cool:

If Kelly wants to put a decoration on the front door, she's going to do it.

Take it down, politely explain why, and offer to go with her to find something more appropriate.

My wife bought a huge wreath for our front door. I made a comment about it being somewhat large. She said she was afraid the smaller one would block the peep hole. They catch on eventually.

... Or, use it as an excuse to buy a security camera.

:) Edited by peejman

In my particular location I live in a cottage that is completely concealed from the highway by the Duplex in front of the cottage. I like to have my front door open during the day so just lock storm door. All of my friends know to call before they stop in. If someone knocks on my storm door even during the day I go to the door with some type of gun in my hand in clear sight. Normally they say, sorry thought someone else lived here and exit pretty fast without me saying a word. At night now with my new lighting they are lit up like a Broadway stage and seldom every make it to the front door but just turn and leave. Like I said all my friends that know me call before coming or call while sitting in driveway before getting out.

They were selling vacuums. It's the exact pitch we used when I got caught up in that buisness. 1)you go to the door with a free gift and give the story of floor cleaning products. If the homeowner agrees you give them the free gift (floor whipes in this case) and the "manager" grabs a vacuum and rushes in the door before the homeowner has a chance to change their mind or object. 2) they actually do get paid for just giving the demo. It's like if you give 10 demos a week you get $300 or something similar. 3) most of them are on probation or drug heads. I got I. The job because I was young and naive. It was an eye opening experience for sure. I don't think they were trying to rob you but I agree 100% that you shouldn't let those people in your house. Cause let's face it they are salesman today but who knows what tomorrow brings.

Interesting. That might explain why the one guy was out of sight where I couldn't see the vacuum. 

[quote name="Erik88" post="1085882" timestamp="1388334598"]Interesting. That might explain why the one guy was out of sight where I couldn't see the vacuum. [/quote] Exactly. If you show up with the vacuum visible most people say no automatically. The idea is to trick your way in the door. And another note, we used to start selling at 10am and worked until 8pm or later. So it's not unusual to be working after dark especially this time if year. Again I would say no to anyone wanting to enter my house in the daylight let alone after dark. Some salesman are legit a lot are not good people.
The vacuum thing is plausible. a lot of scams and setups get pre staged. Outside of the larger cities we would see burglaries where the homeowners would get a knock on the door by someone who would offer a small service like gutter cleaning or limb pickup. While talking w the homeowner the salesman/con would ask if his kids could use the bathroom, well most people wouldn't refuse a child needing a potty but these kids were trained to run through the house and look for a safe, money and jewelry. Regardless of getting the job the bad guy knew if he had a worthy target. They would come back usually on a Sunday when the homeowner went to church and hit em hard and fast. There were a lot of kids using bathrooms along hwy 412 between lawrenceburg and lewisburg....there was also a lot of burglaries as well...answer the door if you must,but don't give any indication of anything you have or do to anyone doing a cold call for sales.20 years ago there was a reasonable level of trust pre internet and smart phones like lumberjack indicated and there still can be but...add the fact that today tn is still one of the states w the highest rate of meth use and mfg.some users will go to unheard of lengths to get in your door for money or goods to sell. Many of these incidents don't make the news....be careful some of these bastards are real good at what they do and they pick their prey carefully...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Let me guess...  Ultimate Technologies?

Sounds like they are casing or trying to sell you junk. Either way, best to present a hard target and act like you're the type of person who feeds people to his 100 lb pitbull. I've never had a solicitor come back twice. Only one I ever let it was a politician looking for votes, but that's just because I get something out of that exchange.