Heat pumps, who got em, do you recommend

Ok, so i am looking to build on some land i found but from the road to the property is about 200 yards away. Running gas to the house would be hella expensive so the builder recommended just using electric water heater and a heat pump. In the middle tennesee area, who amongst yall have or had a heat pump and what can you say about them? Thanks

I've had a Goodman heat pump for about 3 years now. Before that,had another brand. I like them. Very efficient with the electricity if you use a good digital thermostat and don't go crazy with the temps. We keep ours at 68 in the daytime and 63 at night.

The Goodman is noisy though. The only thing I don't like about it.

My Goodman died at 6 years, replaced it with a Trane.  You'll need another heat source when it gets much below 30F.

The auxilary/emergency heat in the units is expensive to run, but it's better than freezing.  Since you're building, it would be a good time to put in gas logs and run them on propane.

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1

My Goodman died at 6 years, replaced it with a Trane.  You'll need another heat source when it gets much below 30F.

The auxilary/emergency heat in the units is expensive to run, but it's better than freezing.  Since you're building, it would be a good time to put in gas logs and run them on propane.

This.

I agree. I have a tran heat pump backed up with 2 sets of gas logs. This works very well considering one set of logs( the ones used the most are in the basement) I have logs that keep it about 65 in the basement, which is the only heat source down there and heat pump on main level. Very manageable utility bills and only fill propane tank in summer when price is down. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I would suggest you take a long hard look at anything propane before making that commitment.  I have a family member that heats their house with propane and usually pays $400-500 a month to keep the house comfortable in the winter, and by comfortable I mean that 1/2 of the house is blocked off and it's 65 degrees in the warm part.  I don't know too much about the heat pump but I think that if you were open to the idea of supplementing a heat pump with a wood burning stove that may be a good option.  Again I realize this isn't a good option for everyone.  If you don't mind obtaining wood yourself and keeping the fire going it might be your ticket.  I always enjoyed heating with wood myself.

The cost in running the gas line will quickly be recouped over the high cost of propane that you would use for logs/cooking I'm running @1000 feet of gas line to my building site. Its gonna be about 3-4k but i can then buy a gas generator and have standby power via gas for the house
  • Like 1

My heat pump (York) is saving me a bunch in electric bills (16 SEER) as compared to last year. Albeit it is locked out at the moment during this abnormal weather and using 100% efficient electrical resistance heat. But my wood burner is keeping us nice and toasty during this cold snap.

had one when we lived in dc 15 years ago.  it worked okay until it got around 35.  could tell it was working hard at 40 and below.  i could turn on the heat pads to help any time i wanted.  they help some.  had a three story house and it was never warm to us. but we came from miami and the cold was hard on us.   they are better now so it might heat better.   

I will just say this: I lived in Ohio most of my life and never saw an electric bill higher than about $250 using a real furnace (and even then it wasn't a good one). That was heating over 2000 sqft. On average they had been around $175 or so. I've been in TN for 3 years with much more mild winters. These $&@& heat pumps have cost me up to $500 a month to heat less space! I've been in 2 different houses. One with goodman heat pump and this one with a amana. On average the bills have been around $300 during the winter since I've been here. Put a real furnace in and be done with it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I put in a Trane Hybrid system. It is heat pump with propane back up when it gets really cold. It has worked well and uses very little propane. But then I also have a wood stove. The stove has the house at 74 with the current outside temp at around 10. 

• Like 1

I put in a Trane Hybrid system. It is heat pump with propane back up when it gets really cold. It has worked well and uses very little propane. But then I also have a wood stove. The stove has the house at 74 with the current outside temp at around 10. 

now thats the way to go

The cost in running the gas line will quickly be recouped over the high cost of propane that you would use for logs/cooking I'm running @1000 feet of gas line to my building site. Its gonna be about 3-4k but i can then buy a gas generator and have standby power via gas for the house

If those prices are representative, it seems like a no-brainer. I'd pay that much just to be able to cook on gas.

When ours dies, I was thinking of going hybrid pump/natural. It keeps hanging in there though...

Edited by tnguy

1pointofview, before you make a decision, check out the earth coupled heat pumps.  They cost significantly more initially than the air exchange types but are much more efficient.  I know a guy that has that system and claims to be running an electric bill of less than $250/mo total for 7,000 sq ft.  It's new construction with high efficiency everything but that's still pretty impressive.  I installed Trane high efficiency combo units (propane furnace for heat/electric AC) but wish I'd looked harder at the earth coupled heat pumps.  The Trane units are very good.  There's so little heat being wasted through the vent that they piped with PVC vent pipe.

When you build consider 2x6 studs on the outer walls with the blown cellulose insulation and a very careful application of house wrap (tape the seams, around the windows, etc.)  Also, high efficiency windows (double pane with the metallic coating and filled with argon).  We did those things and the difference is huge.  Right now at 9 degrees outside I can stand by a window and it just feels slightly cool.  No drafts anywhere either.  Which ever heat/AC system you chose the quality of construction/insulation will make a big difference.   

• Like 1
[quote name="WindHawk" post="1090535" timestamp="1389053670"]. When you build consider 2x6 studs on the outer walls with the blown cellulose insulation and a very careful application of house wrap (tape the seams, around the windows, etc.) Also, high efficiency windows (double pane with the metallic coating and filled with argon). We did those things and the difference is huge. Right now at 9 degrees outside I can stand by a window and it just feels slightly cool. No drafts anywhere either. Which ever heat/AC system you chose the quality of construction/insulation will make a big difference. [/quote] On this topic I would look at enertia building systems. Www.enertia.com Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I had a heat pump and hated it with a passion. Kept breaking down and heat during the winter was costing me $3-400 a month dec-February.

Last time they came to repair it, I saw the corrosion on the frame that held the coils together. Told him to get that darn thing out of there.

Bought an American Standard air conditioner with a propane gas pack underneath
it. We have a large underground LP tank and fill it once a year during the summer when prices are low.

I got heat. I am comfortable and I'll never go back to a heat pump. They don't last, the heat output sucks and they are energy hogs. I got a backup vented LP stove I can use when electricity goes down. My grill will never run out in the middle of a cookout. Kitchen range is gas and the only thing left is the hot water tank. I got mixed feelings about replacing that.

Bring it on ... LP never spoils and I'll pay the minor cost difference between electricity and LP any time for the convenience and quality. So far with the winters we had, it was cheaper with propane. Anxious to see what this winter brings to the table.

PS. It is cheaper to cool a house in the summer with an air conditioner than with a heat pump. I would of never figured that to be true. Edited by Currently
I have a Trane heat pump that works just fine. As others have said, when it gets below 32, I use the emergency heat. Mine is almost 20 years old and still passes it's semi- annual checkups easily and it runs efficiently.

I will also do a new Trane hybrid elec/NG when my current one dies. I would also pay the piping cost just to have a gas stove. I can stand cooking on electric.