Texting & Lone Survivor Don't Mix in Fla

runco

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24435641/2014/01/13/shots-fired-at-wesley-chapel-movie-theater

A moviegoer lost his life inside a Pasco County theater Monday afternoon after a dispute over texting with a retired police officer.

According to the sheriff's office, the dispute happened before the 1:20 showing of 'Lone Survivor' had even gotten underway at the Cobb CineBistro at Grove 16 complex on Wesley Grove Blvd.

Investigators say two couples had gotten into an argument over noise.

"The victim was on his cell phone; he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Sheriff Chris Nocco explained.

A witness recalled seeing the agitated man -- later identified by deputies as Curtis Reeves -- get up and leave in an apparent attempt to find a manager. When he came back alone, the argument escalated.

Charles Cummings told FOX 13 he heard the victim say he was texting his 3-year-old daughter before Reeves pulled out a pistol.

"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot," said Cummings, who was there to celebrate his birthday. "I heard the victim say, 'I can't believe...,' then he fell on us."

"I asked if the guy was OK, and he started gurgling blood and then fell," recalled Cummings' son, who said he ran to call 911.

Both the man, identified by deputies as Chad Oulson, and his wife Nicole were struck by the single shot. Oulson, 43, was hit in the chest and died, while Nicole was hit in the hand when she put her hand up in front of her husband.  She suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

An off-duty Sumter County deputy inside the theater was able to grab the gun and detain Reeves until deputies arrived, the sheriff added.

Reeves, a 71-year-old retired Tampa police officer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. A 2005 Tampa Bay Times article also described him as a former director of security for Busch Gardens.

Moments after he was named as the suspect, Tampa police issued a statement saying Reeves had retired back in 1993 as a captain.

"He was instrumental in establishing the department's first Tactical Response Team," the statement explained. "We are not aware of any contact with the department since his departure more than 20 years ago."

Nocco said his detectives considered if this could be a 'stand your ground' case but decided the criteria did not apply.

"It's absolutely crazy it would rise to this level over somebody just texting in a movie theater," he offered.

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam.  "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

I went Friday to the 7pm showing in Oak Ridge and some moron behind me kept putting his commentary in there, everything he said was wrong, down to the calibers of the weapons. I let out a couple of shushes and "shut up"s but I was in a bad spot being in front of him. I'm not the type to go tattle, I'm just glad most of the movie was loud enough that I couldn't hear him. Trust me I wanted to turn around and jack his jaws, and yes I was concealed carrying, but wow I still can't imagine shooting someone for texting at the movies.

Sad for both families. 

I don't go to theaters any more because of talkers, texters, and general sphincters who seem to be there just to  

ruin the experience for everyone else. I wait till a movie comes out on DVD and buy it for less than the cost of two tickets.

Edited by billyscott
  • Like 3

When we went to see Lone Survivor, a grown man (not a teeneage kid) walked up and sat at the end of the row we were seated in. He texted almost the entire movie. It was really annoying at first but I managed to ignore it. You could not hear it, you just saw his phone light up every 30 seconds. He got up and left before the movie was completely over.

I thought who pays this much to come to a movie, sit and text through it and leave before it's over? 

Some people..................

[quote name="macville" post="1094678" timestamp="1389671043"]The guy didn't deserve being shot for being an ass, but he could have avoided the entire confrontation too. It's amazing how self centered people have become.[/quote] I agree with this. Shooting the guy was insane and never should have happened. But if the guy hadn't ignored the rules, and decided his text was more important than anyone else's enjoyment of the movie, he'd be alive today. I've had confrontations in theaters before, people talking loudly or texting. Usually standing up, getting their attention, looking them dead in the eye and giving them one good firm "Shut the f*** up" or "Put the phone down" does it for me. Rude, inconsiderate assholes make my blood boil. I wouldn't shoot them, but beating them with a hammer after the movie has crossed my mind. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Like 1
We've ALL thought about doing this. NOT justifying it or condoning it. It was a horribly stupid thing and feel for the family but really, how many of us have sat there with our old lady and our popcorn and soda and thought, "You rude SOB, if you only knew how easy I could ...."
Yeah, it's wrong but we can't act like we don't know where the dumb old fart was coming from. I will undoubtedly be labeled a heartless insensitive sob (would you expect any less from me?) BUT, maybe enough people will hear this tragedy and think to themselves, "I think I'll put my phone away, I don't want some whack job nut case shooting me over a text message"

We as a gun society, TGO, should do nothing but condemn the actions of the shooter if the facts show what is being reported is true.  The texting and altercation is being reported to have taken place before the start of the movie.  Before a movie starts talking and texting should not be a problem.

If all the guy did was throw popcorn at the guy then there is no way that he can be in fear of his life, different if the guy came after him.

We, who have an HCP have a greater responsibility to avoid conflict, especially trivial conflict.

• Like 3

We as a gun society, TGO, should do nothing but condemn the actions of the shooter if the facts show what is being reported is true. The texting and altercation is being reported to have taken place before the start of the movie. Before a movie starts talking and texting should not be a problem.

If all the guy did was throw popcorn at the guy then there is no way that he can be in fear of his life, different if the guy came after him.

We, who have an HCP have a greater responsibility to avoid conflict, especially trivial conflict.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

As has been stated already - I don't understand why it needed to escalate to this.  The reports I've read indicate that this happened during the previews as well so the movie wasn't even really playing yet.  Not that it would be excusable if the film was rolling, just saying who gives two craps about the previews to the extent of starting a fight and taking someone's life over?  Ex cop should have just went to the theater management and had the guy kicked out or asked for a refund.

Yep, avoid confrontation while carrying. Even if the victim had attacked him after the shooter instigated the altercation he'd still be sitting in jail. You can't start a fight with someone then shoot them when they are winning.

As has been stated already - I don't understand why it needed to escalate to this.  The reports I've read indicate that this happened during the previews as well so the movie wasn't even really playing yet.  Not that it would be excusable if the film was rolling, just saying who gives two craps about the previews to the extent of starting a fight and taking someone's life over?  Ex cop should have just went to the theater management and had the guy kicked out or asked for a refund.

Yeah, I don't get that either. When I'm just sitting there waiting for the movie to start I'm gonna have no problem texting or whatever on my phone. I didn't realize that was poor etiquette.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't get that either. When I'm just sitting there waiting for the movie to start I'm gonna have no problem texting or whatever on my phone. I didn't realize that was poor etiquette.

Cause it's NOT poor etiquette.

Every movie I've seen in the last decade has a little commercial asking you to shut off devices.  After THAT time, it IS considered being an asshat to use them.  

• Like 2

I thought who pays this much to come to a movie, sit and text through it and leave before it's over? 

Some people..................

The same people that go to a ball game or race & get so drunk they can't tell one team

from another.  Just saying...

A little off track, but that area sure has changed.  I grew up in Pasco county back when it was mostly orange groves, cow pastures and a few golf courses.  For most of high school I lived only minutes from the scene and dated the girl who's parents owned the land where that theater is now located.  The 2 lane road that went from Tampa to wesley chapel was called "the road to nowhere" by almost everyone in Tampa.  Now Pasco county is basically one huge subdivision.

Edited by sigmtnman

We've ALL thought about doing this. NOT justifying it or condoning it. It was a horribly stupid thing and feel for the family but really, how many of us have sat there with our old lady and our popcorn and soda and thought, "You rude SOB, if you only knew how easy I could ...."

Uh, no we haven't.  Or I haven't at least.  Lethal force is a last resort.  I don't fantasize about using it on people.

• Like 1