Total BS!

I know it is probably me getting bent out of shape for nothing but I still think it is bad business.AfterI dropped the kids off and had a few extra minutes so I stopped in the nearby LGS. I walked in to see they had .22lr in stock, all most all of it was 50rd specialty stuff most at .90 a round. I have some so I passed. I continued to walk around and noticed on the counter there was a full case of bulk pack stuff with about 6 more sitting on top. I have a friend who needs some so I asked if I could have a box, the girl I asked said just a min. The guy I assume is the owner came out and looked me over and paused then said sorry all I can sell you is this and hands me a $6 box of 50 blazers. I assume they just had not been proccessed the bulk yet so I said when will these be for sale, he just shrugged his sholders. I told him that I was looking for some cheap stuff that some kids could have fun with so the blazer was just more than I wanted to pay for kids to just blow through. He said I might have luck at WW. I guess I was not on the "list" for that ammo. To me if you have someone standing in front of you willing to give you money, TAKE IT! I undestand they might have a waiting list and that is why I just nicely  said thanks and kept moving. I guess I really need to start kissing butt at the LGS more. as an FYI it was tagged $24.99 for 525 rounds. I left and told my buddy to go and check with them after work. He just left there and he got the same exact responce from them and he said they had close to 20 boxes still sitting on the counter 5 hours later. Sell it or if this is a friends and family situation than take them off the counter. Thanks for listening to my rant.

I know it is probably me getting bent out of shape for nothing but I still think it is bad business.AfterI dropped the kids off and had a few extra minutes so I stopped in the nearby LGS. I walked in to see they had .22lr in stock, all most all of it was 50rd specialty stuff most at .90 a round. I have some so I passed. I continued to walk around and noticed on the counter there was a full case of bulk pack stuff with about 6 more sitting on top. I have a friend who needs some so I asked if I could have a box, the girl I asked said just a min. The guy I assume is the owner came out and looked me over and paused then said sorry all I can sell you is this and hands me a $6 box of 50 blazers. I assume they just had not been proccessed the bulk yet so I said when will these be for sale, he just shrugged his sholders. I told him that I was looking for some cheap stuff that some kids could have fun with so the blazer was just more than I wanted to pay for kids to just blow through. He said I might have luck at WW. I guess I was not on the "list" for that ammo. To me if you have someone standing in front of you willing to give you money, TAKE IT! I undestand they might have a waiting list and that is why I just nicely  said thanks and kept moving. I guess I really need to start kissing butt at the LGS more. as an FYI it was tagged $24.99 for 525 rounds. I left and told my buddy to go and check with them after work. He just left there and he got the same exact responce from them and he said they had close to 20 boxes still sitting on the counter 5 hours later. Sell it or if this is a friends and family situation than take them off the counter. Thanks for listening to my rant.

One local gun shop where my wife's family is from(IL) is holding all bulk packs received each week of 22lr until each sat. at noon and doing raffles in store for the available packs. Must be available to win, one bulk pack per person, first drawn gets first crack at the selection. It was a little annoying since I had just missed the raffle last time I was up there but it did seem reasonably fair to me for all their customers while allowing the shop to keep selling the packs at reasonable prices. (cheaper than wal-mart on some!)

• Like 1

One local gun shop where my wife's family is from(IL) is holding all bulk packs received each week of 22lr until each sat. at noon and doing raffles in store for the available packs. Must be available to win, one bulk pack per person, first drawn gets first crack at the selection. It was a little annoying since I had just missed the raffle last time I was up there but it did seem reasonably fair to me for all their customers while allowing the shop to keep selling the packs at reasonable prices. (cheaper than wal-mart on some!)

No problem if something like that was happening but put the ammo in back or let the cust know that is what is going on with them.

I understand the frustration but if he paid for them, they're his to do with as he pleases. If that doesn't sit well with you, vote with your wallet and trade elsewhere. You cannot make a living playing favorites, not for long anyway. That sort of thing will get around and his business will suffer for it.
  • Like 3

I don't know when all this expensive ammo problem will be over but, I don't shoot a lot of .22 ammo anyway. I've not bought a box of .22 lr in at least 5 years, and I'm not going to. This will only end if and when people relax and chill out some. I don't have a problem with people buying ammo but, get what you need and let somebody else get the rest. My 2 pennies.

Edited by roverboy
  • Like 1

Sell all your firearms that eat .22. If you do that, you won't need .22 ammo.

I completely support and agree your statement, despite the fact it was probably made with 100% sarcasm.
If I can't reload and cast for it, I don't want it. Who'd ever thought I can shoot any handgun I own, cheaper than you can shoot .22lr?!

......for that matter, I'm shooting .308 cheaper than .22lr. Edited by Caster
  • Like 3

I completely support and agree your statement, despite the fact it was probably made with 100% sarcasm.
If I can't reload and cast for it, I don't want it. Who'd ever thought I can shoot any handgun I own, cheaper than you can shoot .22lr?!

......for that matter, I'm shooting .308 cheaper than .22lr.

I was serious. That's what i did.

I'm kinda leaning in Caster's direction on this.

I've shot very little .22 this year, and I handload...so I personally have little motivation to seek .22 or pay the inflated prices for .22 that were seeing.

Heck, I don't know...this might be the new norm. All the more motivation for me to cast bullets.

I do still want some .22. It's a great caliber for starting folks, friends, and family on. But I'm not in a hurry...not even a little...

Since I'm a Knoxvillian I'd like to know the LGS to avoid as well. But can respect it if you don't want to mention the name.

For what its worth I was at Bass Pro in Sevierville at 6pm, they had about 20-30 boxes of the 325 rounds of Federal behind the counter for $19.50.  I don't need any and didn't buy any.  My father told me it came out this morning.  Him and a buddy have been buying there for quite some time.  Limit one box per customer.

Edited by Runco

They would not do this but once to me. I would probably only go back to handle and check out their guns, then let them know they were too expensive and I was going to go buy online, but thanks for letting me check them out. And I dang sure would let anyone who would listen know about their selective ammo selling. 

You can cast and load 300 Blackout and pretty much any common pistol caliber for less than 22. My 300 rounds cost me 4.4 cents a shot. My 9mm is 4.2 cents a shot and 45 runs under a nickel a shot.

I have plenty of 22 guns but I don't shoot them because I can shoot center fire for less.

For the cost of three bricks you can start reloading.
  • Like 1

I'm sure glad I was smart enough back in 08 to see this coming and stocked up enough of every caliber gun I own before the clasp of the ammo production. I still buy a box of 22WMR when I see some at a descent price but other than that I am pretty well set and don't really need any of that but will impulse buy if price is near affordable. I sure hate the way the LGS's are doing folks for sure. You can bet in many cases it is going to come back and bite them in the arse when this is all over. They will have to depend on the few special people to took care of to remain in business..............jmho

• Like 1

Sell all your firearms that eat .22. If you do that, you won't need .22 ammo.

I didn't go quite that far, but I did put my .22s in the back of the gun safe, where they will remain until .22 ammo is a regular commodity again.

I'd really like to hear some numbers on how bad sales have been for .22 firearm manufacturers. I can't see people rushing out to buy one right now with the current ammo situation. I know I wouldn't.

Maybe it's just that Memphis has so many Walmarts within driving distance but I don't have much trouble finding .22. I've bought it at all times of the day. Now don't get me wrong, it is not an every day occurance but I have run into it at all times of the day. The best time has been around 9 or 10 on a weekend morning, but Ive also found at around 5 after getting off work. Actually I've had a harder time getting .380 than 22. I also don't get to get out and shoot very much so I've been able to build up a few thousand rounds. Living in Memphis, I just can't step out in the backyard and shoot.

You've definitely been more lucky than me in the Memphis area. I check every time I'm in Walmart and I haven't found any in the two that I shop in for more than a year.

Show up at the Walmart on Hwy 64 or Germantown Parkway on sat. or sun mornings. I know that's a crapshoot, but that is when I have been the luckiest. I haven't even tried since before Christmas, so things may have changed. And also Bass Pro puts out what they get when they open at 9. From what they tell me they get at least two trucks in a week. But the days vary. I usually miss it at Bass Pro because I'm at work, but they have been getting in in. At least that's what they tell me when I ask about it.