Fatal Bombing In Lebanon

Grunt67

There has been a bombing on the outskirts of Lebanon, on Vance Lane. Man was

killed, wife critical.

Law enforcement has been on scene for a couple of days. ATF investigating, along

with State & local LEO.

It's been all over the local TV news. LE are being very tight lipped. Bomb did major

damage to the house.

Sorry I don't have a link, but you can catch it on the local TV news.

The man was supposedly a retired attorney. Older couple.

Everbody is warned to be careful of suspicious packages, and to call 911 if found.

• Like 1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/lebanon-tn-package-explosion/5398729/

LEBANON, Tenn. — A package delivered to an elderly couple's home in a cul-de-sac about 30 miles northeast of Nashville exploded, killing one man and injuring the woman with him.

Crews were called to the house a little after 5 p.m. CT Monday and extinguished a small fire upon arrival, said Joey Cooper, Wilson County Emergency Management Agency director.

The blast killed one person at the house, retired lawyer Jon Setzer, 74, and critically injured Marion Setzer, 72. The Nashville lawyer, who had been practicing in Tennessee since 1974, had handled bankruptcy cases.

Investigators with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives continuing to collect evidence at the scene Tuesday have ruled out accidental causes for the explosion such as a gas leak or electrical malfunction, according to Special Agent Michael Knight. They are interviewing neighbors and trying to figure out what triggered the blast.

A motive remains unknown, Knight said.

"We do believe that this is an isolated incident," he said.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation officials declined to say what kind of package was sent to the Lebanon home.

"A package was delivered, as far as where or when, I can't give that information," TBI spokeswoman Illana Tate said.

The agency is offering an $8,000 reward for information about the case that leads to an arrest and conviction.

"We do not respond to this kind of event every day," said Dewey Woody of the state fire marshal's bomb and arson division. "But when we do we have to take it like we do every day and process it very slowly."

The injured woman was taken to a hospital by helicopter with burns to the face and chest. At the time of the explosion, the two victims were believed to be the only people at the residence, which sits on 5 acres of land about 3 miles northwest of Lebanon.

Several rooms of the house were damaged, but the home remains intact, Knight said. A private school near the site moved classes to another location to reduce traffic in the area during the investigation.

"We will be here night and day trying to come to the quickest resolution to this issue as we can," said Mark Gwyn, director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. The agency also is on the lookout for other suspicious packages.

Authorities declined to say if Jon and Marion Setzer were married. Neighbors said the couple was friendly and sometimes looked after other neighbors' pets when they went out of town.

Neighbor David Hughen arrived at his house about an hour after the blast and noticed that the front and back windows of the nearby home had been shattered.

"With the house as well built as it was, it had to be a huge explosion," Hughen said of the house built four years ago. "It's just a huge mystery that a terrible thing has happened to good people."

Another neighbor, Charles Thompson, said the blast in the small rural neighborhood has left him shaken.

"It didn't appear that they were the kind of people this would happen to," Thompson said. "It's very scary."

Initial reports were that the package was delivered via the mail, but they are trying to back off of that a bit. The deceased was a lawyer at some point, so I'm sure he made a few enemies along the way. The explosion did a decent amount of damage to the house, so this was a pretty serious device. Edited by TripleDigitRide

Initial reports were that the package was delivered via the mail, but they are trying to back off of that a bit. The deceased was a lawyer at some point, so I'm sure he made a few enemies along the way. The explosion did a decent amount of damage to the house, so this was a pretty serious device.

Yeah, I noticed the mail thing got dropped really quick. That was the first thing reported and then it was just an explosion at the house?

Because bankruptcy lawyers make a lot of enemies???

Let me introduce you to my aunt whos attorney could have saved her home. Long story short, she is homeless and widowed because of bad advise from an attorney, who sat on his hands and waited too long.

Let me introduce you to my aunt whos attorney could have saved her home. Long story short, she is homeless and widowed because of bad advise from an attorney, who sat on his hands and waited too long.

A bankruptcy attorney? Dude was 74...not like he was just starting out; he was retired.

A bankruptcy attorney? Dude was 74...not like he was just starting out; he was retired.

My girlfriend, who is a paralegal, has stated that he may have bankrupted a corporation and is living the high life on someone's pension. Records show he filed a lot of civil cases, real estate trust, wills, and trust funds.

Because bankruptcy lawyers make a lot of enemies???

Very possible, an attorney is an attorney, they may specialize but they often have a second, third, or fourth area interest.

Seriously, he made a very good living off of someone else's dime. His age is irrelelavant because someone somewhere is feeling the affects of his work or lack off years later. They may have delayed till now to not look suspicious or because they finally have felt the effects.
  • Like 1

Regardless, I'm sure they will find who did it. These things rarely go unsolved.

Yep. Bombing someone will get the attention of federal law enforcement and all the assets they bring to the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. I recon any lawyer can piss somebody off bad enough to get himself blown up. Maybe it was some assisted karma :)

Any lawyer can make enemies, when you deal with anyone and anything in the legal system someone can get hurt or screwed bad in some way. Now killing someone with a bomb no matter what they did to you is a lowlife, careless way to do it because bombs are indiscriminant, can kill an innocent person. Someone has to be totally thoughtless of others to kill someone with a bomb. Don't know what the details or motivation is, maybe this lawyer really screwed someones life up. I might actually feel a little sympathy for someone if that was the case, if they had shot them or killed them in a way that wouldn't hurt or kill someone else but when you use a bomb the guy is going to rot in jail for life if i'm on a jury. Now a vengence killing I wouldn't excuse totally because it's against the law even though I might understand, if some dirtbag murdered someones family member and got off and they killed the dirtbag with a crowbar or something like that, I may have to find them guilty of littering and fine them $100.

Anyway no one knows the motivation, I can't make an opinion except that using a bomb is thoughtless of innocent lives and whoever did that is a scumbag killer for that reason alone.

(edit) P.S. Wartime is a different story and killing terrorists with bombs sometimes is the only option. Besides there's usually no innocent people hanging out with terrorists.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 2

They did mention that it may have been a case of sending bomb to wrong house address also. I don't think it was but there is always a chance it was. They are telling everyone to be suspicious of an packages you might receive that you didn't order or don't recognize where it came from to call the authorities before messing with it. Hope we don't have a uni bomber that moved into the area.............jmho

I'm familiar with this atty. His claim to fame was a number of years ago (15+) he used to run ads on TV and in the newspaper doing living will and estate seminars at local hotels in the Nash. area. His office was over off of White Bridge Rd. He was a very personable sort of guy and I'm guessing had a pretty good practice just off the free seminars. He retired some while back and I think sold his practice to another atty. He was living in Donelson with just a part time office in his home the last account I had of him, maybe 4 years ago. I didn't know he had moved to Lebanon.

I thought right off he must have crossed someone for this to have happened. Estate planning could have a long lead time before someone gets pissed over the outcome. Could have been the wrong house, but that seems unlikely to me. If they are going to build a bomb like this it will be delivered correctly. It's sad anyone would have this happen to them. I hope they find the culprit. It's unlikely, if he was the target, that there is not a paper trail to the guilty party. It may take a while, but it will be hard for them to get away with it I think.

I'm familiar with this atty. His claim to fame was a number of years ago (15+) he used to run ads on TV and in the newspaper doing living will and estate seminars at local hotels in the Nash. area. His office was over off of White Bridge Rd. He was a very personable sort of guy and I'm guessing had a pretty good practice just off the free seminars. He retired some while back and I think sold his practice to another atty. He was living in Donelson with just a part time office in his home the last account I had of him, maybe 4 years ago. I didn't know he had moved to Lebanon.

I thought right off he must have crossed someone for this to have happened. Estate planning could have a long lead time before someone gets pissed over the outcome. Could have been the wrong house, but that seems unlikely to me. If they are going to build a bomb like this it will be delivered correctly. It's sad anyone would have this happen to them. I hope they find the culprit. It's unlikely, if he was the target, that there is not a paper trail to the guilty party. It may take a while, but it will be hard for them to get away with it I think.

I think most every bomb maker leaves something behind that will lead to his capture. Even as smart as the uni Bomber was he finally got caught. If they ever figure out how to track the package itself and how it was delivered they will get their first lead...........jmho

The Unibomber insistence that his "manifesto" be published, was what did him in. His brother recognized it

& eventually turned him in. Not a good thing, egos.

There was a bomb signature, after the fact.

Gonna be interesting how this shakes out.