38 special or 22 lr for horse riding in the backwoods and hills of east Tn.

bayouvol

Just asking opinions of your choice for a side arm to carry on a horse. Taking in account snakes as well as two legged animals. I have walked into a couple of situations I was able to just back the horse out of and leave but it is stressful at the moment.
  • Like 1

.38 Special. Snakes aren't much of a threat. If you have time to draw and fire at that small of a target you have time to get away.

Amen. No gun is a quicker defense than your feet, or in this case your horse's hooves. Otherwise you're just killing a snake because you want to.

- OS

.38 Special. Snakes aren't much of a threat. If you have time to draw and fire at that small of a target you have time to get away. Your main concern is of the 2 legged variety.

You've apperantly never had a venomous snake chasing you or your child.
Guest Lowbuster

You've apperantly never had a venomous snake chasing you or your child.

I've had a copper head chase me. Aggressive suckers. It kept coming. It bit the bottom of my boot as I jumped like a dancing girl. I stepped on its head luckily, and cut it off wit trusty knife. I suggest 357 revolver and .38 snake shot. In the woods I carry one or two in revolver. Don't aim directly at head but about one inch back due to shot spread. Also with larger animals, look at penetration, no hollow point, and hollow point for two legged threats. Revolvers are flexible.

Snakes don't actually chase people. It just happened to chance that you were both heading in the same direction. 

This is correct.

As someone who's studied and handled thousands of wild snakes (both venomous and non venomous) I stand by my earlier statement.

[quote name="Troutburger" post="1110872" timestamp="1392389641"]Snakes don't actually chase people. It just happened to chance that you were both heading in the same direction. [/quote]I've heard eyewitness accounts of black racers chasing people. They have changed directions (heading back towards the way they came) and the snake did too. P.s. I like snakes.....I'm just relaying a story for discussion :) Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

Second the Old S&W M-10  with a few speed loaders along as well. as far as shot loads not sure I'd bother with them ( effective range ?)  probably would go with a big solid loaded hot or just Cowboy it with my .401 Herters if it was me.

and make sure the horse is used to the sharp report of firing near it if you haven't already  I can see that not ending well if the animal isn't accustomed to it,having seen gun shy dogs I can't imagine hanging on if a horse decided it didn't like it.

back in the day my Dad used to load plastic capsules with buckshot pellets they were for making your on shot charges  now those loaded with something larger(6 or 7 1/2 shot)  might be worth looking into if you want bigger shot than they use in those "snake" loads (# 12 shot)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313962/speer-empty-shot-capsules-38-special-box-of-50

Edited by LngRngShtr

.38 Special. Snakes aren't much of a threat. If you have time to draw and fire at that small of a target you have time to get away. Your main concern is of the 2 legged variety.

Exactly . Sometimes the best defense weapon is your legs which will get your butt out of the area fast .There is no shame in running away from a bad situation whether it involves humans or animals. 

• Like 1

I would say a good trail gun would be the Ruger LCR in .22LR . It is a revolver that holds 8 .22LR shells. Very reliable and also fun . And also EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT . I have one and carry it out to Wally world or on short trips to the store . It is so light I keep checking to see if it's still there  :pleased:

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

My decision would be based on what I expected to run across

Snakes, bears, coyotes, wild pigs, panthers, 2 legged predators - specifically meth / pot producers

Yes, we have cougars in East TN, got a pic of one caught on a game camera in Grainger County, 2 months ago...

A copperhead bite my boot so I backed away. He raced toward me and struck at my feet again so I retreated further. He raced at me again and I stomped on his head. That was the second time I had a snake advance toward me even after I changed direction. First time was a cotton month in a creek while swimming. You can say they don't chase humans but I've experienced different. Edited by Mykltn
  • Like 2
Guest Lowbuster

My decision would be based on what I expected to run across

Snakes, bears, coyotes, wild pigs, panthers, 2 legged predators - specifically meth / pot producers

Yes, we have cougars in East TN, got a pic of one caught on a game camera in Grainger County, 2 months ago...

I lived in Grainger county till end of last year and had a cougar in my back yard a few times. No pics of him, but on my old phone I have pics of tracks the size of my hand.

I've heard eyewitness accounts of black racers chasing people.

Lots of eyewitness accounts of alien abduction and Big Foot, too. Gotta watch out for them hoop snakes though, especially downhill.

image103.jpg

I notice you didn't post the pic. But of course I believe you anyway.

- OS

• Like 4

PM me you cell and I'll forward the pic. It was rec'd as a text and I'm not smart enough how to get the image to post.

I don't have a lot of luck getting stuff off my antique phone, but maybe --  I'll PM you my email address and you can send to that I imagine, if not will send phone # also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot