Political Correctness Run Amok (Today's Edition)

Garufa

From the article:

"Caucasians brought them to America," Hoffman, the bill's primary Senate sponsor, said Thursday. "Should we call them `Caucasian carp?' They have names. Let's call them what they are."

Haha, I love the logic.  I honestly don't care what they call them, but the argument above is silly.  They're a carp from Asia.  Therefore: Asian Carp.  How is that offensive?  Saying that it could be called caucasian carp because white people brought it here is pretty funny when you consider that white people also brought black people into this country via the slave trade.  I don't hear anyone saying that calling them "African-American" is offensive. 

Guest PapaB

Brilliant plan.

Proposals advancing in the Legislature would require the Department of Natural Resources to refer to the fish as "invasive carp,"

Great choice for a name. That'll let us pinpoint exactly which fish it is.

Asian carp actually describes two closely related fish, the bighead carp and silver carp

They can't use their real names because they got complaints from bigheaded people that collect silver.

How dare you people call them Asian carp.............. even if that is where they originate from and it makes total sense! I vote we call them fish, that way no one gets their feeling hurt.

Unless your last name happens to be "Fish" :)
Guest PapaB

How dare you people call them Asian carp.............. even if that is where they originate from and it makes total sense! I vote we call them fish, that way no one gets their feeling hurt.

I think we'd have to go to "living beings that prefer H2O while celebrating the preferences of others" or "LBTPHWCTPOO" for short.

Edited by PapaB
How about "Oriental Carp"? I still say black, white, Indian, oriental, hispanic to describe someone, whoever doesn't like it will just have to deal with it. Some black dude who was born and raised in Tennessee is an American, not an African, no more than i'm english. I'm a Native American, I was born in America, my parents were born in America and so was my grand parents but I have no indian mix in me. I will say American Indian to describe them, still don't know what to call American Indians whos ancestors were from India. I wish everyone could ignore these politically correct idiots and just respond to them in a smart a$$ way, (yea whatever dude) or something like that, just refuse to acknowledge their idiocy.

Well, there is another species of carp out there and most DNR's in most states call them grass carp. In all reality they are actually Israeli Carp and are from Israel and many DNR's began importing them into the country as far back as the 1950's for two reasons. (1) Put them in lakes to help control the weed growth and (2) was because they are sterile and will not reproduce. I wonder when the Israelis are going to complain about the carp being called Grass carp which is not the proper name for them?????? 

Just wait till they figure out that Stripped Bass and Sea Bass are the same fish!

Is that any bass that has just been gutted, or does it also need to be filleted too? ;)

But at any rate, no they aren't.

Sea bass is totally different species from marine striped bass. However freshwater striped bass and marine striped bass are indeed the same species.Of course, the freshwater fish referred to simply as "striper" or "stripe" is the white bass, and another species yet, which bred with a striped bass produces our "hybrid bass", which is generally sterile.

I know my various "stripers" (and not unfamiliar with more than a few "strippers" in my time too),  sorry for the aside.  :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Guest semiautots

Were you known then as "Dollar Shoot"?

"I know my various "stripers" (and not unfamiliar with more than a few "strippers" in my time too),  sorry for the aside.  :)

- OS"

Edited by semiautots
I've actually been thinking of tossing a shotgun in the boat & skeet shooting them as I tool up & down the river, I always seem to manage to get at least a couple that fly up and try to smack me in the face &/or land in the boat, those end up as cut bait, but they ain't anywhere as good as shad.

I even tried to figure out a way to eat them, but even smoked with hickory they were pretty foul tasting.

They are a serious problem regardless of what some overly sensitive asshat wants them to be called, personally I think they are a freaking plague.

I even tried to figure out a way to eat them, but even smoked with hickory they were pretty foul tasting.

Some states have industries that are beginning to be able to find human consumption markets for them.

One good trick to eating carp is to fillet, skin, cut out bellies, then mince up with meat grinder until all the small bones in fillets are ground up too, smaller ones easier done than whoppers. Then mix up with an egg, onion, pepper, whatever, dust outsides with flour or cornmeal and fry like salmon patties. You can broil them too.

I ate quite a few of our "native" carp back in the day that way, so unless these "asian" or "grass" carp are somehow significantly different, they oughtta be okay too?

(somebody else can insert the "eat the board" recipe) ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
OS,

I never considered tossing them in the food processer & grinding them into patties, maybe just maybe if I dumped a ton of seasoning in there with them I could choke them down.

Anyway I eat a lot of fish, all kinds of fish ... it's a regular staple food in our household, but I can't seem to get used to the foul-flavor of any species of carp.

It doesn't matter if I fillet out all of the dark meat & mud vein, they still taste like what I'd imagine unwashed ass to taste like. :)