Ground Hogs

These suckers are like a bad dream, they keep coming back. They tunnel under my barns and I've tried mothballs, smoke and now thinking about carbon monoxide from exhaust to put them to sleep. Have to sit and wait for them to come out to get a shot at them. Anybody have a good solution to cleaning out their dens?

Be aware that emission controls on new vehicles release insignificant quantities of CO.  (so use your tractor exhaust).

They are rodents. so if you can get them to ingest rat poison....

Edited by R_Bert

Big truuck I have a propane weed burner similar to the one in the video, hadn't thought of using it.Just need a remote detenator. I shoot them with a 22 when I get a shot at them but some time they come out of a different hole than the one I'm watching.

There has to be a food source on your farm that keeps them there. Most times they live right near edges of corn fields. Back when I was a teenager we hunted them with long range Varmint rifles and it was boring hunt until my grand father told us a trick to draw them out of their holes quicker. Put a couple cobs of corn soaked in Sorghum in the den entrances far enough away to get them in your cross hairs. A buddy of mines Great Grandmother would take all we could get her. She was about 75 years old and could clean one quicker than I could skin a rabbit. That Sorghum corn trick worked really good.  

Rat terrier or a .17 HMR are both very effective options in my experience. I have also heard that after you kill them if you put human hair trimmings in the hole it will deter them from re-inhabiting a previously used hole. I do know that if you just push some dirt in the hole new groundhogs will open it back up and reuse them.

Well, I gotta tell this cause it is about Ground Hogs and funny and true. One winter my buddy came up and said his MeeMaw G- Grand mother wanted a few G. hogs. That time of year they hibernated so met digging them out with picks and grubbing hoes. He had an old hound that is there was one in a hole he would sniff it out and start digging. Then my buddy would tie the old hound up and we would dig the hog out with the picks and once we reached it he would let the hound loose and it would finish digging it out and grab it with his teeth and drag it out. One of us would club it and we would go find another. Normally two a day was all we could come up with. My Buddy lived next store to MeeMaw and we took here the two hogs and about 15 minutes later we heard his old shotgun go off and went running down to her little house to see what happened. One of the hogs was dead but the other was just knocked out. It came too and was running around in the house till the second shot and he was dead but we had to fix the two holes she shot in her wooden floor. She grabbed Wayne by the ear lobe and pulled him down where she was sure he could hear her and she told him she wanted dead ones from now on so from that day on one of us packed a 22 pistol and once we knocked it in the head it got shot in the head. Never took her any more live hogs. I am not kidding about this, This lady cooked and heated with wood stoves and we would bring her the longs cut to the length for her stoves but she would not let us split it. When she wanted it split she split the logs herself. I watched her several times from Wayne's porch and I asked her why he didn't do it for her and he said she won't let me. I didn't believe him and went down to offer to do it. I only offered that one time and it was made quite clear to me that she didn't need my help................. :up: :up: Won't repeat what I was told cause it would block it anyway............. :rofl:  but she looked like :rant: this when telling me..... :rofl:

Guest Lowbuster
My grandfather, after I got older and didn't shoot them would put saniflush at the entrance of each hole he found.they would walk through it, I guess it burned their feet, then they licked it off, ingested and died.

I heard of using drano for rat holes, like Lowbuster said they lick it off of their feet and kills them. I have some sorgum molsases and I may try that too. Thanks for the replys

When I was a LEO part of my job turned into killing groundhogs during my shifts. The town that I worked in had a lot of very large gardens, (bigger than a lot of lots that houses are built on nowadays), and the little bastages tore them up. The Chief didn't want a bunch of people shooting at them in residential neighborhoods, so as the sniper for the department I was assigned the extermination duty. I carried a 10/22 with me, and when I saw one I just shot them in the head. If you weren't aware groundhogs have very hard heads. The typical .22 round bounced off their heads, so I had to use hot-loaded HP ammo. This method of getting rid of them certainly takes patience, but it worked to the gratitude of the garden owners.

For those mentioning Rat Terriers to kill the vermin you all must have some lite-weight groundhogs to deal with. In Missouri the groundhogs grew larger than a Rat Terrier and had some pretty large K9's that were used impressively to fight off the local's dogs. They reminded me of raccoons.

For those mentioning Rat Terriers to kill the vermin you all must have some lite-weight groundhogs to deal with. In Missouri the groundhogs grew larger than a Rat Terrier and had some pretty large K9's that were used impressively to fight off the local's dogs. They reminded me of raccoons.

My first dog, Pal, was a rat terrier, and he was bigger than most rat terriers. I got him when I was 5 and I can remember watching him kill them. He would catch them out of their holes and run circles around them until he could get behind them. He would then grab them by the neck and bite and shake until he broke their neck. I have seen him kill groundhogs that weighed just as much as he did. I had him for 10 years and he would kill 3-4 every year.

I am not saying that groundhogs aren't fierce little fighters. The don't go down without a fight and I have had to doctor up cuts and scratches on Pal after some of the kills he made.

• Like 1

My first dog, Pal, was a rat terrier, and he was bigger than most rat terriers. I got him when I was 5 and I can remember watching him kill them. He would catch them out of their holes and run circles around them until he could get behind them. He would then grab them by the neck and bite and shake until he broke their neck. I have seen him kill groundhogs that weighed just as much as he did. I had him for 10 years and he would kill 3-4 every year.

I am not saying that groundhogs aren't fierce little fighters. The don't go down without a fight and I have had to doctor up cuts and scratches on Pal after some of the kills he made.

My first dogs name was Pal also and I was about 7 years old but he was a Springer Spaniel that someone drove out of Chicago and just drooped off on the country road we lived on and he came to our house all fun of cukaburs and his hair was all matted in them. Took me better part of the day to get the all out with out cutting his beautiful hair. Actually I became like a magnet to all the strays folks from the city dumped. About ever couple months my Dad and I would take them to the Animal Shelter in Chicago to get them adopted out to good homes. He told me to not get attached to any of them which is not easy for a kid to do with a dog. Pal never went and I had another very unusual terrier type dog that I got to keep but the rest went. The unusual dog was definitely a Terrier of some type and about the size of a cocker but had short hair that fit tight against his skin, ears that stood up like a Dobermans and he could be flat pawed and jump vertically into my Dads arms. He was a very Brittle colored dog with a rust brown, black and a few white spots but not many and he would follow me on my bike all day never getting out of Site. He was very smart and so was Pal but Pal was kinda laid back and Bearcat, Yea I know, strange name for a dog but was a strange dog was always very hyper. My first trip to the Humane Society was an adventure. I could not believe all the different type of animals they had. All kinds of talking birds, Cats, Dogs, Ferrets, Geese, Ducks and the biggest surprise was an alligator that was about 6 feet long that when they got it it was about 3 feet long. This shelter never put any animals down but kept them till they either got adopted or died of natural causes. The Brookfield Zoo ended up taking the gator finally. Oh yea they took the Python too that was about 10 feet long.......... :up: :up:

• 2 months later...

Have shot a dozen or more this summer.More than I've ever seen around here. Never had ground hogs here when I was a kid. Was at Ft. Campbell in late 67 and saw my first ground hog there. Boogers don't die very easily.