Llama or keltec

I have a Llama and used to own a P11. The Keltec is a little rough, but at least it will work. My Llama has more jam than Rosie O'Donnell's toes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The big question is do you have the ability to take them out and shoot them first before deciding.  

I'm assuming your looking at the Llama mini max.  There hit and miss guns with sub-par metallurgy(mostly on the older ones, supposedly fixed on the newer ones).  Plenty of good ones exist and it could make for a cheap range toy.  I would not however use the Llama as a defensive firearm.  Again the sub-par metallurgy means they are prone to some parts breaking.  Most notably the extractor.  They are also built loose, which does help the gun run a little better, but also means accuracy may suffer.  Every now and then a gem slipped out and were really decent guns.

The P-11 is what some would call ugly.  Never really cared about how my guns look only how well they fit and work.  Harsh recoil impulse for a 9mm and has a long 9 lb double action trigger that feels even heavier after a long day of shooting. It doesn't make for a great range gun, but they are known to be reliable guns that go bang when you pull the trigger.  

Deciding what to buy depends on what you are looking to do with the gun.  Since ammo isn't an issue i would say take them both out and put at least 100 rounds through each and then decide.  

Chance between keltec p11 or llama 45 double stack. The llama is a short barrel similar to the para p12. Which one would you choose and why? I have both calibers so ammo is not an issue.

The Kel-Tec.

Its a practical gun, you can carry it, shoot it, whatever... The Llama is a 1911 knock off with little factory or aftermarket parts/accessory support... and some of them (not sure of this model specifically since my experience is limited) have reliability issues.

If it was me, and these were my two choices, and I was determined to spend money either way, I'd get the kel-tec.

Well, I have a 380 Llama and it shoots great, never jams with any type ammo from cheap to high end and I actually am more accurate than I am with any of my other 380's. With that being said I also have one of the older models also. Mine was made when Llama was still built by Stoger Arms. Since Stoger sold them out the new company has folded and are no more. Kel-Tec is still around. I know guys that did buy some of the Llama 45 calibers back in 2002 and 2003 before the company went under for $300.00 for new guns in the box and are still shooting them trouble free today and a few others have had issues with theirs. Some of the old Gunsmiths still have parts for them but you have to do a little searching to locate them. As far as magazines go I can give you the name of a company that custom builds magazines and they are not expensive at all and I got 4 back up mags for my 380 and it was $105.00 including shipping.  What would I buy today? Probably a Llama but only because I have one and know a few guys that have had good luck with them but KelTec is your best choice in this because they are still i business making guns.............jmho 

The Kel-tec definitely. I own a P-11 and have carried it for years. It always goes bang, does not jam and yes the trigger is long but does have the benefit of multiple strikes. Not necessary an all day range gun, but was never meant to be. If I still carried it daily I would put a Northwood (I think thats the brand) trigger in it. I have one in my PF9 and while it's good there, I believe the improvement would be greater in the P-11.

Kel-Tec.

Neither are "top-tier" quality guns, but the Kel-Tec guns do usually work.  Llamas have a terrible reputation for reliability.

Also, if the P11 doesn't work Kel-Tec will fix it.  Their customer service is excellent.  Good luck finding a Llama CS rep. 

• Like 1
Kel-Tec holds it own among the subcompact semi autos in their price range better than Llama. In an apples to apples comparison that is weighted toward price, you can't do much better unless you buy a used gun. If you follow the "fluff and buff" directions on KTOG.com, you should be fine. I shot on box of ammo through my Kel-Tec with few issues, but still used the marks left inside and the KTOG instruction to make a pretty darn smooth little gun. I've carried it every day for about 6 years as either a backup or a primary. Edited by BigK