How do you prefer to sell a firearm?

Guest Ditchdigger

Guest Ditchdigger

Other than for profit. I'm talking about paper work wise. Not much of a trader, when I buy something I'll usually keep it till it's wore out or broke. Guess thats why I'm still married after 22 years. I'm looking at selling a rifle that I bought new. No paperwork, bill of sale, FFL transfer. Without doing a transfer will it stay in my name? Thanks for the advice guys.

Assuming you mean you bought it through FFL --  If ever traced,  yes, would show you as original transferee. Reselling through FFL of course wouldn't change that, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

A bill of sale should cover you legally in a face to face transaction, I'd imagine.  Unless you suspect that someone isn't eligible to own a firearm, ask them to show you a drivers license or carry permit to verify they are a TN resident, then have them sign a bill of sale that lists the firearm with manufacturer, model and serial number.  Keep it in the filing cabinet as a just in case.  If someone is unwilling to take those two simple steps, I'd question the sale to them in the first place.

• Like 3

A bill of sale should cover you legally in a face to face transaction, I'd imagine.  Unless you suspect that someone isn't eligible to own a firearm, ask them to show you a drivers license or carry permit to verify they are a TN resident, then have them sign a bill of sale that lists the firearm with manufacturer, model and serial number.  Keep it in the filing cabinet as a just in case.  If someone is unwilling to take those two simple steps, I'd question the sale to them in the first place.

This.

The only time I wouldn't do all that is if I knew the person I was selling it to very well, a good friend or relitive that I trust.

Edited by K191145

A bill of sale should cover you legally in a face to face transaction, I'd imagine. Unless you suspect that someone isn't eligible to own a firearm, ask them to show you a drivers license or carry permit to verify they are a TN resident, then have them sign a bill of sale that lists the firearm with manufacturer, model and serial number. Keep it in the filing cabinet as a just in case. If someone is unwilling to take those two simple steps, I'd question the sale to them in the first place.

Or you are like me and don't want strangers to have your personal info. If my hcp isn't good enough, you can keep your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

Or you are like me and don't want strangers to have your personal info. If my hcp isn't good enough, you can keep your gun.

This. There is no logical or legal reason to give a stranger my personal information.
  • Like 3
Guest Ditchdigger

Selling it Bill of Sale or HCP holder, guess it would still be in my name forever? Having it transferred, with me paying the fee, would probably be another timing issue trying to meet a new buyer. I'm sure thousands are sold and traded very day without transfers, but they aren't in my name. BOS would be something else to keep up with, HCP holder would more than likely be trust worthy.

people sell them?

How awful. 

Unless something horrible happens I plan to never sell any.  At least that is my current view.

Well, I do have one I may put up for sell just because it was an impulse buy and it hold not special value to me other then what it may be worth.

I will probably put it up on consignment and see if it sells.

Selling it Bill of Sale or HCP holder, guess it would still be in my name forever? Having it transferred, with me paying the fee, would probably be another timing issue trying to meet a new buyer. I'm sure thousands are sold and traded very day without transfers, but they aren't in my name.

I already told you, it would still be "in your name forever" even if you transfer it through FFL as far as who'd they look for first. 

On a trace, they have no way to know what the last transfer through an FFL might be, only the first, by tracing from manufacturer/distributor to first FFL. They'd likely not ever find the second one if you didn't tell them where you did it, though once you did, the second 4473 would prove you did indeed transfer it.

On the other hand, even without doing that or a bill of sale or anything, it takes more than a serial number and your name associated with it to be charged with a crime in which that gun was used.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

Without doing a transfer will it stay in my name?

There is no gun registration in this state. Will a sale change any existing records that tie you to that gun….no.

If a gun used in a crime is traced back to you, it would be a good idea to be able to tell them who you sold it to, but is not required. We can’t do background checks so all we can do is get info. If they don’t want to give it; walk away. I always make that clear up front; so it’s not been an issue for me.

I had a seller want to take a picture of my DL once for his records of the sale. I declined that request.

people sell them?
How awful. 
Unless something horrible happens I plan to never sell any.  At least that is my current view.
Well, I do have one I may put up for sell just because it was an impulse buy and it hold not special value to me other then what it may be worth.
I will probably put it up on consignment and see if it sells.

In theory, I agree with you.

In reality, stuff gets to be too much sometimes, and I just want something different. Or I find one just doesn't appeal to me any more.

But as far as selling goes, almost everything I have trade or sold in the last six years has been done here. Safest place to conduct a transaction that I've found.

I've had only one "bad" experience, and that was about 4 years back. A newbie offered to allow me to return a pistol to him if I wanted to within 2 days. (When we met, the pistol wasn't quite up to the glowing description in his add.) Instead of backing off immediately, I mistakenly took him as a man of his word. WRONG move entirely.

After a quick range trip that afternoon, I called him back to take him up on the offer. He wouldn't answer his phone or pm attempts. I won't name him, it wouldn't do any good, as he doesn't appear to be around these parts anymore.

But in short, if I sell. I sell here.
  • Like 1

I would walk away from a purchase if the seller suddenly sprung it upon me that they want my personal info.   There is no law requiring any of that.

At least if you want personal info make it known up front so people like me can opt out from the get go.

The times I have sold I simply ask to see a TN state issued ID, and ask if they are prohibited from owning a gun.

When being the buyer I have no issue with showing my ID, but you ain't writing anything down.

Everyone has their preference.

• Like 1

I would walk away from a purchase if the seller suddenly sprung it upon me that they want my personal info.   There is no law requiring any of that.

At least if you want personal info make it known up front so people like me can opt out from the get go.

The times I have sold I simply ask to see a TN state issued ID, and ask if they are prohibited from owning a gun.

When being the buyer I have no issue with showing my ID, but you ain't writing anything down.

Everyone has their preference.

I am not trying to pick a fight, but if you show me your ID, do you think I won't remember your name?  I think you are kidding yourself a little. 

I am not trying to pick a fight, but if you show me your ID, do you think I won't remember your name?  I think you are kidding yourself a little. 

I think remembering and recording a name as you sell a firearm is fine. Anything further than that and it gets into the realm of questionabilty as far as I'm concerned.

When I sell or trade a firearm, actually even when I buy one here, I record for myself all the details of the transaction. When, where, who, date, price, trade info, and of course serial numbers. Not to mention screen name and real world names.  

I sincerely doubt that any of the people I've dealt with would object to that. I expect many of them have done the same.

But the only time I'm giving more than name is if I purchase from an FFL. I don't think any individual needs the info on my DL.

I already told you, it would still be "in your name forever" even if you transfer it through FFL as far as who'd they look for first.

There may be one exception to that rule; If the second FFL were to go out of business I believe the serial numbers would get cataloged somehow.

There may be one exception to that rule; If the second FFL were to go out of business I believe the serial numbers would get cataloged somehow.

Yeah, I didn't get into that, but you're right. All 4473s are supposed to go to ATF when biz closes.

Also, they might not be "forever" anyway, as FFL only required to keep approved ones 20 years, but since it would be work on the dealer's part to continuously cull them, most I gather are kept for duration of the biz. Not sure if they are culled whether those have to go to ATF also though.

But yeah, ATF has ongoing process to digitize all 4473s sent to them in database, and it's not forbidden to do so like with ongoing ones. All part of the National Tracing Center.

Saw a special on it about a year ago, they can't keep up, even had to store a lot of them elsewhere until they can get to them. They also have a restoration unit to record best they can ones water damaged by fires and floods when dealers close due to that also.

So if anyone tells you there isn't a national database on gun owners, they're naive. ATF very upfront about it on the NTC site, they list all the sources where they get the data.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yea. I have been told that the TBI destroys all of the approved 4473's at 10Pm every day but I have never really believed that to be true. My guess has been that ATF has also always received a copy of it also and they don't destroy them every night at 10PM. And you can bet another thing. They will not lose them like the IRS lost about a million emails and documents requested by the committee investigating them either.............jmho

Yea. I have been told that the TBI destroys all of the approved 4473's at 10Pm every day but I have never really believed that to be true.

Is there a law that requires the TBI to destroy them? If so, you think they are violating the law and everyone in the TBI is keeping that secret?