Shooting a BB gun in Murfreesboro?

Guest t.bird

Guest t.bird

I'm new to the area and can't find the county/city ordinances anywhere.  We have a rabbit investigating our garden.  Is it legal to shoot a BB gun on private property within city limits?  I don't think my neighbors would say anything, we get along...I just wanted to make sure.

(I assume a .22 is totally out....we only have an acre)

I'm 99% sure there is no law against a bb gun but i'm sure there's someone here that is 100% sure one way or the other. I will saw that I regularly shoot a BB gun at another members house on a 1/4 acre lot in Murfreesboro and have no fear doing so. I say pop that "wascally wabbit"!

I'm new to the area and can't find the county/city ordinances anywhere.  We have a rabbit investigating our garden.  Is it legal to shoot a BB gun on private property within city limits?  I don't think my neighbors would say anything, we get along...I just wanted to make sure.

(I assume a .22 is totally out....we only have an acre)

.....  Is it legal to shoot a BB gun on private property within city limits? ....

It's difficult to know the city ordinances of a city without knowing what city is being referred to.

Check with the Murfreesboro Police if it's in their limits or the County if It's outside the city limit.  Or use a trap from Tractor Supply to catch it.

Edited by tnhawk

I have a friend who also went to Tractor Supply for garden protection.  But he bought a small electric fence charger and put up an electrified strand about 6 inches off the ground.   He says it works fine.

In Mt Juliet you can not use anything that has a projectile, bow, BB gun, or firearm.

Oak Ridge TN is the same.  They way it is wrote, even a paintball gun.  Sling shots are most likely covered as well.

Oak Ridge TN is the same.  They way it is wrote, even a paintball gun.  Sling shots are most likely covered as well.

Knoxville similar:

"Discharge of air guns, spring guns, etc. It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, within the city."

- OS

Knoxville similar:

"Discharge of air guns, spring guns, etc. It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, within the city."

- OS

WOW, I guess airsoft is out. Heck, under those definitions a Nerf gun is illegal to fire.

Bullet, pellet or AIR? WTH?

WOW, I guess airsoft is out. Heck, under those definitions a Nerf gun is illegal to fire.

Bullet, pellet or AIR? WTH?

Well, hell, Knoxville still has the old pre-1900 ordinance on the books:

"Sec. 19-104. - Carrying dangerous weapon.

Any person who shall carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor, dirk, bowie knife or other knife of like form, shape or size, sword cane, icepick, slingshot, blackjack, brass knuckles, Spanish stiletto, or fountain pen pistol or gun, or like instrument containing a firing pin and capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges, or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatever, except an Army or Navy pistol which shall be carried openly in the hand, or any other dangerous weapon, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor"

- OS

Might want to reconsider shooting that rabbit IN SEASON as well. Unless you have a nuisance permit. And you can't just buy a permit. You need training in the subject.

This comes directly from the TWRA officer I asked about squirrels damaging my brothers home.

Here is a short read on the permit.

http://tennessee.gov/sos/rules/1660/1660-01/1660-01-21.pdf

In OPs case,

The permit applies only to persons other than the property owner (or lessee) and charges for the service.

And go to these persons for verification (the analyses should match, if not, they are wrong - but in our case they have always agreed in the last ten years or so) -

1- local Chief LEO

2- County Law Director 

3 - TWRA chief enforcement officer

TN state laws are very clear on property damage by wildlife.

(Dad has to train deputies and TWRA officers on the subject about every year thanks to $$$%%%% neighbors who call in on him).

One thing he *cannot* do, is relocate the wildlife.  If trapped, it has to be dispatched.

Edited by R_Bert

State law, but I think related to preventing spread of diseases.

Perhaps that, but basically establishing destructive/invasive/detrimental populations in places where they wouldn't have flourished on their own.

Russian pig always comes to mind first, but can be anything. Ultimately effort to not keep repeating kudzu, Guam tree snake, zebra mussels, silver carp, whatever...

- OS

• Like 2

Not that this means anything but I have attended an impromptu archery tournament (a couple bows and targets got brought out during a cookout) within the Murfreesboro city limits in which 2 Sheriff's deputies attended and participated. I personally would get after the Garden destroyer and not think twice about it but I guess as a disclaimer I must say to check with your local law enforcement.

In OPs case,

The permit applies only to persons other than the property owner (or lessee) and charges for the service.

And go to these persons for verification (the analyses should match, if not, they are wrong - but in our case they have always agreed in the last ten years or so) -

1- local Chief LEO

2- County Law Director 

3 - TWRA chief enforcement officer

TN state laws are very clear on property damage by wildlife.

(Dad has to train deputies and TWRA officers on the subject about every year thanks to $$$%%%% neighbors who call in on him).

One thing he *cannot* do, is relocate the wildlife.  If trapped, it has to be dispatched.

You left the colorful language options wide open by allowing 7 characters in your "insert favorite curse here" area... I like that!

:usa:

Probably like Oak Ridge - weapons discharge prohibited.

Which leaves you with trap & drown it (then bury).  Drop the whole trap into a garbage can of water. 

Don't traumatize the neighbor's kids.

LaVergne is the same way.  At one point I looked up all of the nearby towns around me and they were all mostly a copy/paste of one another.  I do remember one even including snowballs on the list of banned projectiles.  :rofl:

I live in Gallatin and we have a no firearm ordinance here also but I have a buddy that has a pellet gun and he was having issues with squirrels and rabbits and he removed screens on certain storm windows screens of his house and eliminated all his issues buy shooting from inside the house to the outside and neighbors could not hear the pellet gun when he fired it. I don't know if a BB gun would kill a rabbit but a pellet gun sure will and squirrels to. Not advising any one do this but just saying what he did to remedy his problems and protect his garden.............jmho

Metro Nashville's ordinance (11.12.080) on this is two-fold, if anyone cares. Inside the urban services district it's like others have mentioned. No firing of pretty much anything, including BB, airsoft, paintball, etc.). In the general services district, it's anything goes, as far as the city is concerned, during the day, and a no-no at night.

I don't know of any ordinance regarding archery for either district.

As a general rule (but not always) if the city picks up your trash you're in urban services. If you pay for someone else or have to haul it off yourself, you're in general services.

http://maps.nashville.gov/webimages/MapGallery/PDFMaps/Urban%20Services%20District.pdf

Edited by monkeylizard