‘Guns Are Welcome’: One Restaurant Bucked a Trend — Here’s What Happened Next

Things that make you go . . . hmmmmmm . . . .

‘Guns Are Welcome’: One Restaurant Bucked a Trend — Here’s What Happened Next

Jul. 19, 2014 11:23am Zach Noble

As many restaurants, including StarbucksSonic and Chili’s, tell customers to leave their guns at home, one restaurant in East Tennessee took a different approach — and gained quite a few customers.

Sharma Floyd, owner of Shiloh Brew and Chew, adopted a gun-friendly policy after she read about other restaurants banning firearms, WBIR-TV reported.

“[The other restaurant] had put up a sign that said ‘No Weapons Allowed’ and they were robbed at gunpoint two days later,” Floyd recounted. “That got me thinking.”

She posted a “Guns are Welcome” sign on the front door of her establishment about a month ago, and since then, she says business has really picked up.

Screen-Shot-2014-07-19-at-11.04.11-AM-62

Image source: screengrab via WBIR-TV

“I can honestly say I’ve gotten way more support than the one person who really gave me a lot of grief over it,” said Floyd. â€I have had so many customers take pictures of the sign, ask to meet me in person, and thank me.”

Floyd says she keeps some safety precautions in mind — for instance, she won’t serve beer to customers who are carrying firearms — and so far the policy seems to be doing nothing but good things for her business.

“There have been as many as eight people in here at one time who I know for a fact had guns,” Floyd said. “And no one would have known it except I know them personally. They’re law abiding, god fearing, Christian people. And that’s what I stand on. That’s what my restaurant is based on. ”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/19/guns-are-welcome-one-restaurant-bucks-a-trend-and-sees-dramatic-results/

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 12

Things that make you go . . . hmmmmm . . .

. . . an update . . . .

Restaurant owner says 'business exploded' since welcoming guns

Published July 22, 2014

MARYVILLE, Tenn. –  A Tennessee restaurant owner has placed a sign in the window of her business welcoming gun owners -- a move she says has brought in more customers and saved her business from closing.

Shiloh Brew and Chew owner Sharma Floyd says put up the sign after seeing a news account of a business being robbed after posting a sign saying guns were not allowed in the building.

The Maryville restaurant owner opted to go in the opposite direction. Floyd told WVLT-TV in Knoxville that "business exploded" and the response from customers was overwhelmingly positive.

Floyd says she doesn't want her sign to be a challenge to anyone. She's simply standing up for what she believes in.

Edited by QuietDan

I'm glad it's working out for her. Sadly, if she were big chain with more publicity, she'd have a bunch of unwashed hippies with signs protesting in front of her corporate headquarters. Or worse, a bunch of AR-toting morons trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

• Like 1
Guest 04 Rocko Taco

I'll stop for lunch on my next trip to GSMNP. No doubt. :up:

Yep, headed up there in a month or so, will be stopping in. 

• 5 weeks later...

Really cool to see this kind of decision work in the business owner's favor. I may have to grab a beer from her if I'm ever in town. (Don't have a carry permit, yet).

Don't go on a Monday.  I drove about 30  miles out of the way to eat there yesterday.  I was told they were not open to the public as they were reserved for a group later that evening. :ugh:

I ate lunch there on my way out of Knoxville on that trip and have been back several times since.  It's worth a drive a few miles out of the way to eat there.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1