Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide???

K191145

Anybody have to take that for high BP?

I got put on that yesterday, for some reason my BP decided to jump up to an average of 170/100, it was kinda on the borderline before that but that was a big jump. My dad had cronic high BP which he had to take meds for.

Anyway I took the first dose this morning and it hasn't brought it down that much if hardly any. Should it work instantly or does it take a few days is what I want to know? The dose is a low one, 10mg/12.5mg. It hasn't made me tired or dizzy but I sure have to pee alot. (TMI)?

Doesn't work instantly like other anti-hypertensives can. It's a good combo to be on. The lisinopril usually takes about 4 weeks to fully work due to the time it takes to saturate the receptors it works on. You should notice some difference before, but providers will not typically change the med or up the dose until after 4 weeks for that reason. 

Lisinopril-HCTZ gave me a dry cough. It's a common side effect. Doesn't happen with some folks. It got worse as time went along. If you have that problem, try Losartan-HCTZ. Worked as well on my BP numbers without the side effect. If you have the cough and can't deal with it, your doctor will most likely try losartan anyway. It's a pretty common substitute.

I think Lorsartan, or something equivalent is what I take. No side effects, except for the first few months I peed every few minutes like I'd just guzzled a 12 pack. After a while, that returned to normal. I assume it somehow rids your body of retained fluids.

I would expect most blood pressure meds would need a few days to accumulate in your system before you'll be able to tell for sure how well they work for you.

Edited by gregintenn

Been on it about a year and a half here as well and same thing as Mike.  I get a dry cough every now and then but started at 20 mg and about 6 months ago asked the doc to reduce to 10 mg and am still maintaining good numbers.  The cough hasn't been a big enough issue to ask about changing.  It made me sluggish and sleepy the first few days I started on it but since then, no issues.

I think Lorsartan, or something equivalent is what I take. No side effects, except for the first few months I peed every few minutes like I'd just guzzled a 12 pack. After a while, that returned to normal. I assume it somehow rids your body of retained fluids.

I would expect most blood pressure meds would need a few days to accumulate in your system before you'll be able to tell for sure how well they work for you.

The HCTZ part is a diuretic. It's supposed to make you pee.

• Like 2

The HCTZ part is a diuretic. It's supposed to make you pee.

'Cause diuretics alone can manage some folks' BP, as it reduces overall blood volume.

Makes ya wonder if some could just do daily session with leeches and avoid meds entirely. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I take Lisinopril and it has to stay in your blood stream to be effective. I don't actually have HBP just occasionly and take it to protect my kidneys from diabetes. Hydrochloro....is what my wife takes. Be sure to eat a banana a day or some other kind of potasium rich food. The hydrochlorothiazide(HCT) is a diauretic and will make you PEE a lot. If you start feeling tired, foot cramps, ect hit up the potasium.

Edited by jtmaze

It should work fairly rapidly, Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor with an onset of action within an hour of oral administration and a peak at 6 hours in most patients.  HCTZ is effective as an antihypertensive but has its limits for most which is why it is often combined with other classes of AH's.

Doses often have to be titrated up to the appropriate levels for each patient.  Give it a few days and get back with your doctor if your BP is still high.  Also the rapid increase in BP could be related to stress, infection or other issues and may only be temporary.

BTW, i love the leeches idea.  I often think I could use a tape worm for a week or two.

• Like 1
I take both. You'll get used to the frequent pissing. Just make sure to keep fluids going in as replacement for what comes out to avoid dehydration. Between the frequent pissing and all the sweating I've done walking around during the day this summer, I've gotten dehydrated a few times.

If the pills do what they're supposed to, you feel colder than normal in AC and when winter comes. That will be a good thing as it means your BP is going down. Edited by btq96r

'Cause diuretics alone can manage some folks' BP, as it reduces overall blood volume.

Makes ya wonder if some could just do daily session with leeches and avoid meds entirely. ;)

- OS

If you want a quick natural diuretic, drink 1/2 cup of apple cider vinigar, I guarntee that will work. Don't know how but it does.

I take Lisinopril and it has to stay in your blood stream to be effective. I don't actually have HBP just occasionly and take it to protect my kidneys from diabetes. Hydrochloro....is what my wife takes. Be sure to eat a banana a day or some other kind of potasium rich food. The hydrochlorothiazide(HCT) is a diauretic and will make you PEE a lot. If you start feeling tired, foot cramps, ect hit up the potasium.

I was told that Lisinopril will actually make you retain potasium and the HTZ will offset that. I was told not to take any potasium suppliments. Now my mom has to take potasium but she takes Bumex which is stronger than HTZ.

I have another appointment in one month and they are going to take a blood sample and see how my dose is working. I checked my BP an hour ago and it was 166/89 so the first dose did do something, that's high but it's not 175/102 like it was this morning.

Since I have been on them both 15+ years, I goto the bathroom every 4-5 hours, I never get cold with the A/C, and I do take potasium supplements. My bottom bp number is mostly in the high 70s and rarely kisses 90. The top number is always in the 140s. Edited by Runco

Lisinopril-HCTZ gave me a dry cough. It's a common side effect. Doesn't happen with some folks. It got worse as time went along. If you have that problem, try Losartan-HCTZ. Worked as well on my BP numbers without the side effect. If you have the cough and can't deal with it, your doctor will most likely try losartan anyway. It's a pretty common substitute.

My doctor switched me to the Losartan-HCTZ a few years ago.  It's worked well without any side effects.

I was on Lisinopril and HCTZ combo for a few years. I hated it. After about 6 months of being on it I had my first ever heart palpitation. If you've never had one before it will scare the crap out of you. I literally had my phone in my hand fixing to call 911 because I thought I was having a heart attack. It was over in about 2 seconds though.I had never had them in my life before till after I started the Lis-HCTZ combo. The last few months I was on it, I was having them almost daily. You get used to them after awhile, but they still suck. I finally asked my Dr. to change my bp meds, and he put me on Inderal (propanolol), which is a beta blocker. I love it! No heart palps for a few weeks now. I still take the hctz with it. It also helps me in the aspect that I was always tachycardic at rest. On the Inderal, my heart rate is now down to about 65-70 bpm at rest. Heart palps ARE a listed side effect of Lisinopril, albeit a rare one. So I cant say 100% it was that that caused it, but I had never had one till after I started it. I dont have them anymore either, so its hard NOT to come to that conclusion.

I was blessed Reed, not to have anything other than the cough and a few headaches from the lisinopril. In my colorful medical history I seem to get whatever side effect that can be gotten when taking a new med.

So that did concern me when reading up on the med. It's just amazing how we react to these chemical compounds. And a great miracle that more of us don't have more problems from them than we do.

• Like 1
[quote name="hipower" post="1187254" timestamp="1410111867"]I was blessed Reed, not to have anything other than the cough and a few headaches from the lisinopril. In my colorful medical history I seem to get whatever side effect that can be gotten when taking a new med. So that did concern me when reading up on the med. It's just amazing how we react to these chemical compounds. And a great miracle that more of us don't have more problems from them than we do.[/quote] Aint that the truth!

That's a good read for sure 1911 and as you continue to build it up and your system adjusts to it over time it will get better. Now what are you using to take your BP with?  If it is one of those digital toys from Walgreens or one of the other pharmacies for the most part they are some what close to accurate but I found most of them to lie like Hell. Back years ago I bet I bought 10 of them from different places and different brands. I made sure I kept my receipts because I ended up returning every one of them. There was one time I took three different ones to my doctor for my semi annual visit. She took my BP with each one of them and no two were even close and then when she took it with the old type most doctors use it was the accurate reading and none of the digital ones were even close to what my BP really was. I returned them all and got my money back. I think you can go and get your BP taken the old fashion way at about any pharmacy for free. Don't trust those you sit down in a drug store and put your arm in and push the button. They are about as good as those you buy for 100.00 bucks. Junk................jmho   If you have one of those next time you go see your doctor take it with you and have it tested to see how close it is to accurate.................jmho

.... Junk................jmho   If you have one of those next time you go see your doctor take it with you and have it tested to see how close it is to accurate.................jmho

I've had opposite experience. Have a cheapo CVS branded one, and it jibes pretty closely to two different docs I carried it to when I first got it.

It's the type that expands cuff automatically -- I did initially have one that you inflated by manual pumping, and it was quite erratic by comparison.

- OS

I've had opposite experience. Have a cheapo CVS branded one, and it jibes pretty closely to two different docs I carried it to when I first got it.

It's the type that expands cuff automatically -- I did initially have one that you inflated by manual pumping, and it was quite erratic by comparison.

- OS

- OS

your one of the lucky one OS. I have not bought any in a long time. I just stop while I am out once a week and my Walgreen Pharmacist takes my BP. I may ask him next time in if there are any new ones out that may be better I can try........... :up: