is it wrong?...

surfabilly

to hope that most people will believe this tripe?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/07/why-the-south-is-the-worst-place-to-live-in-the-u-s-in-10-charts/?tid=pm_business_pop

i use to want to correct the misconceptions of the south from people who did not know any better. this article would have made my blood boil. these days i find myself hoping more will continue in their ignorance and stay away from the south. today, this article makes me smile.

is that attitude wrong? Edited by surfabilly
  • Like 2

They disrespect the South, make fun of us, call us names......until they need soldiers to fight their wars.

Plenty of "yankees" are in the military and have fought in wars; past and present.  There may be more southerners per capita enlisting right now, but it's no runaway statistic. 

As far as the study, Tennessee, probably Kentucky, and maybe the Carolina's are the only places in the south I could see myself living.  That's just for me though.  I know everybody is different in what they want from an area.

I think a lot of you would like Maine, some parts of Vermont and especially New Hampshire with it's freedom friendly tax and gun policies if you got to know those states.  Massachusetts tends to bring the stereotype of the region out of whack.  If you can stand the cold winters, New England has some beautiful land and a lot to offer.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

We certainly have our problems down here but if it keeps the damnyankees out then they can publish all the garbage they want.

What scares me more than anything else is people from the liberal states moving here.

I have met a couple of people from "up north" and they were both talking about how they wanted to change things here to be more like the liberal state they left. They like the cheap cost of living here but hated leaving their liberal, utopian paradise.

Why can't people leave well enough alone.

• Like 3

is that attitude wrong?

Yes, I have lived all over this great nation and never have I seen the disrespect for people from another state I have witnessed in Tennessee. Now, to be fair most of the people here are good people just as they are in most other states. But the loud mouths are like bad cops or bad teachers or bad lawyers; there aren’t a lot of them but they sure do make a lot of noise.

So, one of those same types of haters wrote a BS article about the south. Cry me a river. The North South East and West all have no shortage of idiots; but to start disrespecting whole groups of people because where they live is ridiculous.

EDIT:
I don't think this guy is an "Yankee". 

Roberto Ferdman is a reporter at Quartz, focusing on Latin American business and economics. He also spends a portion of his time as part of Quartz’s ideas team. Previously, he worked as an online multimedia editor for the Cooking Channel and Food Network, and an associate producer in online, television and commercial video production. He graduated from Brown University with a bachelor’s degree in applied math and economics. He was born in Boston and raised in Puerto Rico; though his mother is from Tehran, Iran, and his father is from Buenos Aires, Argentina. His obsessions range from corruption, climate change and surprising but true facts, to spicy food, fiction and live music.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2

What scares me more than anything else is people from the liberal states moving here.

I have met a couple of people from "up north" and they were both talking about how they wanted to change things here to be more like the liberal state they left. They like the cheap cost of living here but hated leaving their liberal, utopian paradise.

Why can't people leave well enough alone.

This.  Foreigners that move to Tennessee just want the lower cost of living and pretty scenery but they insist on bringing their ingrained foolishness with them.

I'll not even go into the rising cost of living this influx is actually causing.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

This.  Foreigners that move to Tennessee just want the lower cost of living and pretty scenery but they insist on bringing their ingrained foolishness with them.

I'll not even go into the rising cost of living this influx is actually causing.

The biggest danger is the local and state government getting dependent on the revenue stream transplants represent.  Even with a pay-as-you-go system, it can get out of control fast, and no politician is interested in cutting public services which have to grow to support the bigger population.

Self licking ice cream cone.

I don't know why anyone would want to move here. The winters are long and rough, the summers are long and sweltering got, and let's not even get started on the humidity. The mosquitoes are the size of birds and the ticks range in size from pinhead to tennis ball. Fire ants and rattle snakes are abundant. Fall and spring don't actually exist. Well, we usually do have that month of constant rain where everything floods just between the snow and those long summer days. So unless you are looking for all of this while being surrounded by gun toting country folk I wouldn't bother.
  • Like 2

Yep, 20 years ago a country acre was expensive if it was $1,000. Now that same acre is $10,000, or more, because people from up north realized what a deal the land is down here compared to where they live now. And when you get a bunch of people, who make 5x or more what we do, competing for property it cuts us right out of it because we cannot afford to spend 5x what we were barely able to afford before. Once a few locals see their neighbors property selling for 5x what it was worth a couple of years earlier they raise their prices. 

The vast majority of people who are coming here to retire bring NOTHING to Tennessee yet cost everyone involved like the locals, their local government as well as the state. More than one I have talked to have said they are going to sue their local government to try to change things to make it more like the state they left. It sickens me because those lawsuits cost the taxpayers and then our taxes go up.

Plenty of "yankees" are in the military and have fought in wars; past and present.  There may be more southerners per capita enlisting right now, but it's no runaway statistic. 

As far as the study, Tennessee, probably Kentucky, and maybe the Carolina's are the only places in the south I could see myself living.  That's just for me though.  I know everybody is different in what they want from an area.

I think a lot of you would like Maine, some parts of Vermont and especially New Hampshire with it's freedom friendly tax and gun policies if you got to know those states.  Massachusetts tends to bring the stereotype of the region out of whack.  If you can stand the cold winters, New England has some beautiful land and a lot to offer.

I meant no disrespect to the men and women who served and are serving, that are not from the South. 

Because they're stupid. They don't realize that their own stupidity is what caused the crap hole that they came from to become a crap hole.

Yep, my Yankee in-laws retired to the south to avoid the oppressive taxes on my MIL's pension. What's the first thing they do? Complain about how backwards everyone down there is, then register to vote.

I would be shocked if my FIL was to bad mouth my home state in front of me again. His feeling is still the same, but he was introduced to a side of me he hadn't seen yet last time he ran his mouth. Just sickens me that these folks outside the south pat themselves on the back for being so tolerant and open minded, then make sweeping generalizations about crap they know nothing about. Wouldn't mind it so much if they'd just stay the hell out, and remain in the ****holes they came from. Why do they want to come to the south if it sucks so bad? (I know the answer, but none of those people would ever admit to it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why anyone would want to move here. The winters are long and rough, the summers are long and sweltering got, and let's not even get started on the humidity. The mosquitoes are the size of birds and the ticks range in size from pinhead to tennis ball. Fire ants and rattle snakes are abundant. Fall and spring don't actually exist. Well, we usually do have that month of constant rain where everything floods just between the snow and those long summer days. So unless you are looking for all of this while being surrounded by gun toting country folk I wouldn't bother.

this should be the standard answer when people ask how it is living in TN.

I always laugh when there is the thread about someone from Maryland or Pennsylvania or whereever thinking of moving to TN.  They ask how Murfreesboro is, or we are looking at Brentwood,  or thinking of buying property on Norris Lake or west Knox.   Then the answers come in about how great the place is and how much the new guy and his family would love it.

Why encourage people to come here?   LOL

My standard answer is that this place is awful and I am trying my best to figure a way to move out.

• Like 5

Ya know, Mike, that's not a half-bad idea. Might be somewhat disingenuous, but it would possibly be for "our" benefit... even if folks from the north/northeast are gun-friendly, they are obviously liberal enough to put up with other lib-tarded policies from up yonder. Even TN isn't in perfect shape by no means.

I might just copy-paste 10-Ring's post... hah...

This is the message I've been trying to convey for years. I don't see a problem with the article. :up: :up: Stay out! :D

I love the looks I get from people when I say "Oh, we're moving to ****".

"But why would you want to do that, there's nothing there?"

Yup. :)

I will say that Tennesseans are very protective of their state.  I've lived all over this country and this is the only state where I've been asked how I vote.  Not even the people in SC asked that. :D

We protect it like a daughter.  Now, where is my shotgun?  I feel that my state has been violated...

• Like 1
I may be too thin-skinned for my own good, because I get real defensive when someone stars spewing their gibberish about how much better the place they came from is. I usually explain that I've been all over this country and haven't seen any place yet that's tempted me away from here and point out that they can't say the same. Edited by BigK