Need help!! Computer problem

I consider myself somewhat computer savvy but this has me stumped. I cannot go to Walmart.com. I can go to any other website but not Walmart's website. Funny thing is on my wife's computer we can surf Walmart so it is not a router, or beyond, issue.

I believe it is a computer setting issue, and not an IE issue, because I cannot go to Walmart.com using Firefox either.

I can ping it and trace route it through the command window and all looks fine.

I have:

restored IE to default settings

restored to a previous restore point when I KNOW I could go to Walmart.com

installed all the Windows updates

manually added Walmart.com to the trusted sites list in IE.

I have tried

http://www.walmart.com/

https://www.walmart.com/

Anyone have any idea what else to try?

Did you clear the cookies on the machine? You can also try "in private" browsing (or whatever IE calls it). I've had sites I couldn't visit due to cookies issues in the past. Using in private browsing eliminates this possibility.

Maybe your computer is haunted and doesn't want you to visit Walmart? :)

Could be a few things: dns, host file or firewall rule.

Ping Walmart.com, get the ip address, then use the ip in the address bar instead of the name. If that works, it's a dns issue and you can do an ipconfig /flushdns at the command prompt to fix that.
  • Like 1

Try 161.170.244.20. That's what I get when pinging walmart.com.

That's the one my ping and trace route brought up as well.

That IP worked.

Funny thing is I have gotten a few other IPs for Walmart.com while tracing and pinging.

FWIW, my ping timed out and the trace route timed out after 12 hops.  But I can bring up the URL without an issue.  I'd imagine that Walmart would have servers on multiple ISP's in case of technical/power issues and to spread out the load from web traffic.  I wouldn't put too much stock in which specific IP you try to go to.

Edited by btq96r
You might check this out, but I'm betting its your firewall software blocking it after an update. But that's just a WAG.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-9

Why are webpages blank or displaying incorrectly?

Some websites might appear blank or might not display correctly in Internet Explorer. For example, portions of a webpage might be missing, or colors and text might be incorrect. Some pages might not display at all. If a portion of a page is blank or doesn't display correctly, try one or more of these options:

• Turn on Compatibility View. Learn how by reading Use Compatibility View.

• Turn off Tracking Protection for a single website. Learn how by reading Use Tracking Protection.

• Turn off hardware acceleration. To turn off hardware acceleration, open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab, select Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering, and then click OK. You must close and reopen Internet Explorer for changes to take effect.

I would check the LAN Settings in IE via Internet Options - Connections and make sure a proxy server has not been maliciously defined.

Also check your network adapter settings to make sure DNS is set to automatic for IPv4 (and IPv6 is disabled) and not to specific ip addresses, also set maliciously.

I've seen both methods used to prevent access to specific websites.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Sounds like time to rule out hosts file to see if some nasty redirect got in there I guess.

Should be in windows/system32/drivers/etc/   in XP, 7, 8

Open the file named "hosts" (no file extension) in notepad or whatever text editor, see if walmart and/or the ip for it is listed

A default one will look something like this (from XP, Win 7 very similar):

----------------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

----------------------

Before possibly editing it, best to save under another name so you could go back  to orig if necessary. Though things will run okay without one at all AFAIK.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Try going to windows 7 in safe mode. F8 when it is booting up and select with networking. If that does it then it is either a malicious bug or something in your antivirus. If you suspect a bug use something like malware bytes or spybot search and destroy. Try those options if you think that it is your antivirus make sure that Walmart.com is not blocked in there. I had that happen to me and took some time to figure it out.

I'm with Oh Shoot, I think it's your Host file. I see this all the time, as something malware will do.

The Internet is made up of IP addresses. DNS translates friendly Internet names (like www.walmart,com) into an IP address. A Host file does the exact same thing, but your computer will always check the hosts file first. A favorite trick of malware is to put a bogus IP in the hosts file for places like Antivirus update sites, or MS Updates. If your PC can't get there, you can't get the malware fixed.

I use this to my advantage. If you Google Ad-Free hosts file, you'll find several sites that provide a ready made hosts files with most of the currently known malware and annoying ad sites, all configured with a bogus IP. This way, if you stumble upon a link to one of these sites, if you click it, you'll never be able to connect to it.

If you find that your hosts file has been tampered with, you most definitely have gotten a virus, or some kind of malware. They don't change themselves. You'll likely see pages and pages of other sites in the file too. You'll want to get a good scanner and clean up your PC. I'd recommend "Malware Bytes" as a good free solution. Then make sure your PC has a good antivirus with up to date definitions.

If your hosts file is not the culprit, you still have a DNS problem. Check your TCP/IP settings and look at your DNS settings. Compare to your wife's PC. If you are using a router connected to Comcast, or AT&T, etc. you'll typically have selected the option to "Obtain DNS Setting Automatically". I like to use Google's DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. It's possible that you might have an odd DNS server configured. Perhaps your antivirus program changed it to send you to a "safe" DNS server (one with malware sites removed), and that DNS server has a bad entry for Walmart.

Good luck.

Sounds like time to rule out hosts file to see if some nasty redirect got in there I guess.

Should be in windows/system32/drivers/etc/   in XP, 7, 8

Open the file named "hosts" (no file extension) in notepad or whatever text editor, see if walmart and/or the ip for it is listed

A default one will look something like this (from XP, Win 7 very similar):

----------------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

----------------------

Before possibly editing it, best to save under another name so you could go back  to orig if necessary. Though things will run okay without one at all AFAIK.

- OS

My host file looks EXACTLY like the one listed except this following line at the bottom:

#      ::1                localhost

I removed the line and still no change.

I have done the flush and register DNS commands, no change.

I used malwarebytes before posting this and anything found was removed. We both run AVG.

#  ::1  localhost

is the local loopback for IPv6 addressing.  Not an issue but you don't need it either.  The pound sign indicates it is commented out....in other words not read or being used.  It's in the default hosts file for Windows Vista and greater.

Edited by Garufa

Well, I'm sorry you are having issues but I am learning some cool little tricks to keep in my back pocket...

Maybe you could download a video of someone shooting an AR at a PC and let your computer digest it for a moment. Maybe it will straighten up...

Mark

if it goes there and you get a blank page, that could mean that there is a problem between your browser, your add-ons, and the site.  

The basic stuff to check -- flash player current?  Javascript current?  Tried it with IE?   To me it sounds like you are getting there but your PC has an issue that prevents parsing or display of the page. 

Reverse lookup on that IP is  158.85.130.12-static.reverse.softlayer.com. Softslayer is some kind of Minecraft thing that I don't think Walmart would be associated with. That it is only on that one computer would seem to indicate it may be some kind of malware.

If you do an ipconfig /all, what does it list as your DNS server(s)? Is it the same as on your other computers?

If I telnet directly to the HTTP port on that IP, I get nothing useful. Walmart.com redirects me to www.walmart.com

$ telnet 158.85.130.12 80
Trying 158.85.130.12...
Connected to 158.85.130.12.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: walmart.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:01:45 GMT
server: Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS)
x-powered-by: PHP/5.3.3
content-length: 0
connection: close