Colt 1991O, Opinions

runco

I normally don't fall prey to rebates as a draw card, but I do want a 1911 Pistol, and I am fond of Colts.  I am sure there are many guns of  greater values, better Colts for a few dollars more, and I thought I wanted a Dan Wesson Valor, but I think for my 1st 1911, to test the waters I may choose the Colt 1991O.  The $100 rebate is tempting, and I have a couple of deals to choose from.  I want the blue version by the way.

Whats your experience, opinion, or your neighbors opinion?

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/Colt1991O_zpsb97c0a32.jpg.html]Colt1991O_zpsb97c0a32.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/cdnndeal_zpsc3f017bc.jpg.html]cdnndeal_zpsc3f017bc.jpg[/URL]

http://www.cdnnsports.com/1991a1-45-5-blue-double.html#.VGVnkMma-sQ

I thought $679 was pretty darn good for a Colt.
I can think of a few that may be as good but not better at that price, In your opinion what is better?

Kurt

A Springfield Armory Loaded. I see them on Gunbroker all the time go for about $685.

In all seriousness, for the ones that say better options out there, please qualify that please.   I am trying to avoid the pigeon hole of Ford vs. Chevy decision, with real qualification.  Serrations, Sights and Finish, have no meaning to me for this specific purchase, but triggers, barrel and other options might. 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
All of the1911 manufacturers do it just a little different and that's where all of the Ford vs Chevy comes in.
You can get more options with other makers i.e. Springfield, Kimber but that doesn't make them better, just different.

It all comes down to what you want in a 1911, sometimes you won't know until you own and shoot one for a while.
What I do know is that no mater how many 1911's I have, I wouldn't be happy if I didn't atleast have one Colt.

The 1991 is a good solid 5" 1911 with the prancing pony on the slide, Love it or hate it Colt is still the oriiginal.

Kurt Edited by expendable
  • Like 2

I think 1911's is 1911's; especially now after the CNC revolution... Pick out the one you like and shoot it... It will most likely shoot better than you can hold it (...unless ya are a champion bull's eye guy...)...   

Have fun...

leroy

• Like 1

I just purchased a Ruger SR1911 commander. While still in reliability test period I have put 400 rounds through it without a malfunction of any kind. The purchase price was 675.00. It has the skeletonized hammer and trigger plus is a series 70 gun. The main issue for you may be its a stainless gun but I think it looks pretty good. I have a smith and alexander mag well and grip panels ordered for it. If you can live with a stainless gun you might want to check it out before you buy the colt.

Colt!!!!!!! All the others that have been brought up are good guns. Yes you can a flasher more tricked out 1911 for the money. But the 1991 is a great firearm. Do you want ambi safety, night sights, checkering. You can buy a Kimber and these most likely will have these already installed. The same goes for a Spring Field. The 1991 will have a smooth front strap and three dot sights and a right hand safety. All of can be changed later if find out you would like them. The 1991 will be able to do anything you want to do and like already said above it will hold its value. Look at some models with the extras and see what you think. They all will be sweet guns and you will like shooting them. Good luck

Folks thanks for the input.  Some have said exactly what I was thinking, if I am going wade in on the 1911, I must have a Colt in the stable.  That is a contributing factor, but not the only factor.  So I never sell/trade any of my guns that I buy even if disappointed, but never owning a 1911, and knowing a 1911 is a key staple of any serious gun collector/user of any kind.  If I do fall in love with the 1911 platform, which likely I will, then there is a whole new chapter in my gun quest to have a decent and respectful gun collection. 

BTW, my sons who are 10, 9, 5 and 2, will someday thank ole Dad!  Really!

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

.....  If I do fall in love with the 1911 platform, which likely I will, then there is a whole new chapter in my gun quest to have a decent and respectful gun collection. 

You should be warned - The 1911 is highly addictive!  After shooting it, you will always see another 1911 that you must have.  You will need a larger safe and reloading equipment in the future. 

• Like 1

You should be warned - The 1911 is highly addictive!  After shooting it, you will always see another 1911 that you must have.  You will need a larger safe and reloading equipment in the future. 

I have a strong feeling you are right.  I have the makings of this stereotype.

The only thing that Colt has is resale value and that is not because it is better. Colt used to be the standard by which all other were judged but not anymore. I have owned Colt 1911's and every one of them were no where near as accurate as some of the other 1911s I have owned.

Its like wanting a Model T over a Lamborghini or Ferrari because Ford was the one who first made cars successful.

If you are actually going to be shooting then buy something else, something with better sights, with a better trigger and with a beavertail. If you are wanting to shoot buy something you are not afraid to use, shoot or modify to suit your needs.

Now if you are buying it to resell then buy it, wait a while then make $50-$100 on it. But I will tell you something about Colt purists (actually most purists) and that is originality is everything. You had better not remove the gun from the paper or shot it otherwise you have ruined the value to some a collectors. I have seen collectors pass on a gun because it had been shot, even very little.

So if you plan on shooting it, buy something else but if you just want to way you own a Colt, and put it away without handling or shooting it, buy a Colt.

• Like 2
Is that $100 “Customer Loyalty Card” something that can be spent as cash, or something you have to spend with them?

Nothing wrong with a Colt at that price, jump in; you probably won’t keep it anyway. Also take a look at the Ruger SR1911; it should be very close to that price at a LGS. Most everything else is going to hover around the $1K range give or take.

The only thing that Colt has is resale value and that is not because it is better. Colt used to be the standard by which all other were judged but not anymore. I have owned Colt 1911's and every one of them were no where near as accurate as some of the other 1911s I have owned.

Its like wanting a Model T over a Lamborghini or Ferrari because Ford was the one who first made cars successful.

If you are actually going to be shooting then buy something else, something with better sights, with a better trigger and with a beavertail. If you are wanting to shoot buy something you are not afraid to use, shoot or modify to suit your needs.

Now if you are buying it to resell then buy it, wait a while then make $50-$100 on it. But I will tell you something about Colt purists (actually most purists) and that is originality is everything. You had better not remove the gun from the paper or shot it otherwise you have ruined the value to some a collectors. I have seen collectors pass on a gun because it had been shot, even very little.

So if you plan on shooting it, buy something else but if you just want to way you own a Colt, and put it away without handling or shooting it, buy a Colt.

That's just wrong, you are assuming that everybody wants what you want in a 1911 and that's just not true.

The sights on the 1991 I consider good for an entry level 1911 and that's what this is, not everyone needs or even wants a beaver tail grip safety and every Colt I've shot has had acceptable accuracy for what it is, not on par with my Les Baer or Rock River but good.

This is not a collectors piece, it's a shooter.
Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it and hand it down to your children.

Kurt
  • Like 2

So if the Colt is not on par with a Rock River why the added expense of a Colt? Other than buying the name.

Well for one the LB and RR cost 3 times as much, I thought we were comparing pistols in the $679 Price range.

Kurt

Ps: That's a Rock River Arms not a Rock Island Armory I'm talking about. Edited by expendable

Well for one the LB and RR cost 3 times as much, I thought we were comparing pistols in the $679 Price range.

Exactly, if we throw that $700 figure out the window we open it up to everything. I assumed he didn’t want to get into the price range of S&W, Kimber, etc. The Ruger, the Remington and the lower end Springfield’s are the only thing I can think of without dropping down into the imports. So at that price the Colt seems like a good option to get started.