Ok time to tell folks!!!

bersaguy

I have shared this with a couple members here so guess I might as well shared it with all my friends here. About to weeks ago i developed a health issue that put me in the hospital for 4 days. They ran a battery of tests and found I had a urinary tract infection and began IV antibiotics which cleared that issue up. For now anyway. I go see a urologist on 23rd to schedule a battery of tests to make sure it is nothing else that may have caused it. 

Then they hit me with an even bigger challenge. I have an aneurism the size of at least 8 Centimeters of the size of a Naval orange in my abdomen. I go see a Cardiac/Vascular Surgeon on Thursday to sent up a date for the surgery. Under normal conditions this would be considered a somewhat normal operation of open up body, install stint to by pass and close all taking about an hours.

Since I have the 26 inches of mesh that makes up my inner abdominal body wall they cannot do a simple open and close. They will have to go up in both sides of my groin robotic-ally and do the surgery. The doctor assures me that this procedure has been perform a 1000+ times with a very good success rate. Well, I hope they are successful one more time.

Then for the final kick in the face they informed me that I have Type 2 Diabetes and I had to change my entire lifestyle in foods. I gave my son about 500.00 worth of food for his family and daughter(nurse) took me shopping and read about every label in krogers for 3 hours. Now it's a pill twice and a shot of Insulin and blood sugar test before each meal...... :shrug: :shrug:

If I survive the Urologist and the surgery I will send an update. Until then I might not be here as much since I am operating about about 1/2 strength and energy until my body adjusts to my new lifestyle.

Like Paul Harvey  and now you know the rest of the story except in this case ya'll know most of it with more to follow......................

Sheesh, you don't half ass anything, do you?

Where's the surgery being done? I can't recommend Centennial enough if you have any choice in the matter. 

Here's hoping for 1,001 successes. 

If your gonna do something don't do it half way............. :up:

Wishing you the best outcomes for the triple threat there, Bersa. The diabetes care will likely be the biggest issue over time ... pay close attention to it.

What was the "26 inches of mesh that makes up my inner abdominal body wall" a fix for?

- OS

Bersa, the AA is not too bad. I had it done about 2 years ago. Around 3 days in hospital, then home and lite work for awhile. This is the way my surgon said was the best and with faster recoup. time. Take care and I'll be praying for you.

Buddy, all that is frightening, I know. But it's not the end. Had similar robotic surgery for gall bladder removal. It's not bad.

Had so many UTI's there's a plaque for me at my Urologist's office thanking me for sending his son to med school.

The diabetes is a pain in the keister, now that you've had a lifetime to make habits that are not necessarily the best for you, but it is not a death sentence.

Many aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents in my family have it and are moving along well. My mother, bless her had it. Only really bothered her in the winter when she couldn't get outside and be as active as he wanted

My wife and brotherinlaw have it. I'm surrounded by it. So far, I seem to have missed it.

You will be alright. May have to adapt to a few changes, but you can do it.

I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless, Doug.

Ok. to answer  OS's question first. It is a long time thing that ended up being implanted in my abdomen when that runaway truck smashed me between it and a brick wall at about 30 mph with no driver in the truck back in 1978. I spent 8 months in St.Thomas hospital and died twice during emergency to try and stop my bleeding out through a ruptured spleen. after that my Abdomen keep busting open creating Ventral hernias and requiring surgery to repair till 1990 when they went in to repair the 7th time.

They found that there was not enough inside body wall to close me back up and they built my inner wall of mesh. I have been very protective of it and this doctor looking at operating said she has no intentions of cutting through such a perfect repair and endanger my life when there are other options that work well.

As far as the diabetes. I have talked with my doctor about it and I am on an entirely new diet with zero added sugar on anything or added in products I buy at store. She also told me that I would be on pills and insulin until we got it under control. I ask her what range we are looking for.

She said 100 would be nice but she said that cannot be reached at your age. It was 390 when I was admitted to the ER. They got it in the 100 to 150 range in 4 days while there. My doctor said anything under 150 would be acceptable but lower would be nice. I have been keeping a chart every time I test myself and that is before each meal , Breakfast, lunch and supper. It has been over 150 one time and that was the first test it was 161. Since then it has been averaging in the 130's and once down to 102. Right now I now it's my body going through withdrawals from lack of Sugar and Salt and I think as long as I stay after it I can stabilize it. 

I am more concern now on the tests by the urologist which plans on putting a camera inside me to check my Kidneys and bladder for any cancer that may have caused the UTI. If he gives an all clear, then the Cardiac Vascular Surgeon gets her turn. The two doctors have been talking because the surgeon is concerned about sending a camera inside my body with an aneurism as large as I have.

I go see the surgeon this Thursday. I hope I don't burst her bubble but neither she of the urologist is putting my case on the January roster and I refuse to be in any hospital over the holidays. They can either deal with it or I can find new doctors. That ball is in my court.

Same way with Urologist. He schedule an appointment with me for the 23rd of this month. Like he thinks I am going to let him run this test after a 5 minute exam in the hospital. Sorry Charlie but we are going to get in depth on this test and it will be in January also.

Did I ever mention I am not a very good patient when it comes to doctors. They like me about as much as a toothache.......... :up:

Prayers for you. Don't eat pizza that stuff will jack your sugar up

Not necessarily, long as you don't eat the dough. It's all a carb/sugar game, and they are synonymous for all practical purposes.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Holy cow Bersa that is a challenge and a half, i'm hoping the best for you. If it makes you feel better about your surgery, about 5 years ago my mom had an aneurism repaired, open heart on her arortic valve at 82 years old and came through it with flying colors. We can complain about those high dollor docs but they are good at what they do. Like I said I hope the best for you and keep us informed on how you're doing.

Edited by K191145