Pet (???) Mountain Lion Killed In Paris, KY

R_Bert

I think that was total ignorance to kill such a beautiful creature but then Ky Game wardens  are a lot like TWRA and not the brightest light bulbs in the lamps. I guess they never considered darting the cat and taking it to a local zoo for containment until they could find a suitable place to ship the cat to......................jmho

• Like 6

I think that was total ignorance to kill such a beautiful creature but then Ky Game wardens  are a lot like TWRA and not the brightest light bulbs in the lamps. I guess they never considered darting the cat and taking it to a local zoo for containment until they could find a suitable place to ship the cat to......................jmho

The article clearly said that they didn't have any tranqs, it then went on to say that they were afraid that had they waited for someone to bring them, the cat would have escaped. They made the decision to put it down.

Did you even read the article?

• Like 2

Pet or no pet, I certainly would not want to run across that cat deep in the woods, with him on the prowl.  Look at the size of his head, mouth and paws!  He makes my pet Max look like a kitten!

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/BIGCAT_zpsae553357.jpg.html]BIGCAT_zpsae553357.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

People have been reporting mountain lions in the Southeastern states since they have been declared extinct east of the Mississippi (other than the Florida panthers in the Everglades).  Not too long ago, a security guard took a cell phone picture of a mountain lion sitting on a couch, outdoors, in a trailer park, in Rossville, Georgia.  If you know Rossville, you can completely understand how appropriate this is.  I saw a dead one on I-16 in south Georgia around 1990, and may parents saw a dead juvenile on a different part of the same road several years later.  If you ask the Georgia DNR, they basically say you couldn't have seen a mountain lion because they don't exist around here.  They place panthers/mountain lions/pumas sightings as slightly more credible than Bigfoot reports, unless you say it was black, in which case they act like you reported an alien.  (BTW, there is simple biological phenomena called genetic drift that could explain the presence of large black cats).

Some say that the various wildlife agencies (state and federal) have a vested interest in officially keeping these cats extinct in these states.  If they were officially recognized as having breeding populations, then they would have to protect them, which means lots of money they don't have and headaches they don't want (like the spotted owl).

In this case, they killed it in case it were to escape.  That logic might hold for a pet, but if it was a wild cat, then it had already been living in the area without a fuss.  That would be like killing a bear just because it's a bear, even if it has been avoiding humans.  I think that they could have waited a little longer, even in the dark, for the tranquilizer gun to show up.  Surely they could keep it illuminated with lights.  It really seems more like they killed it because of the potential for danger, rather than actual known danger.

I think in the past when an escaped panther was found, they could tell it was a pet because the teeth were filed or it was declawed (I feel sorry for those guys also).

• Like 6

People have been reporting mountain lions in the Southeastern states since they have been declared extinct east of the Mississippi (other than the Florida panthers in the Everglades).  Not too long ago, a security guard took a cell phone picture of a mountain lion sitting on a couch, outdoors, in a trailer park, in Rossville, Georgia.  If you know Rossville, you can completely understand how appropriate this is.  I saw a dead one on I-16 in south Georgia around 1990, and may parents saw a dead juvenile on a different part of the same road several years later.  If you ask the Georgia DNR, they basically say you couldn't have seen a mountain lion because they don't exist around here.  They place panthers/mountain lions/pumas sightings as slightly more credible than Bigfoot reports, unless you say it was black, in which case they act like you reported an alien.  (BTW, there is simple biological phenomena called genetic drift that could explain the presence of large black cats).

Some say that the various wildlife agencies (state and federal) have a vested interest in officially keeping these cats extinct in these states.  If they were officially recognized as having breeding populations, then they would have to protect them, which means lots of money they don't have and headaches they don't want (like the spotted owl).

In this case, they killed it in case it were to escape.  That logic might hold for a pet, but if it was a wild cat, then it had already been living in the area without a fuss.  That would be like killing a bear just because it's a bear, even if it has been avoiding humans.  I think that they could have waited a little longer, even in the dark, for the tranquilizer gun to show up.  Surely they could keep it illuminated with lights.  It really seems more like they killed it because of the potential for danger, rather than actual known danger.

I think in the past when an escaped panther was found, they could tell it was a pet because the teeth were filed or it was declawed (I feel sorry for those guys also).

This deserves more than a "like".  Great post.  I learned several things from this.

• Like 3

I think it's funny that the state always says it's impossible for these animals to be there. Clearly it isn't.

They are amazing animals. Here in Florida we have the extremely endangered Florida Panther. I think there are less than 100 left in the entire state-most of which are in South Florida(AKA Cuba).

It would have been great if they didn't have to kill this one but I understand why they did it.My cousin killed this monster out in MT or WY.

6571d3eb-1c2d-4a95-83ed-73472e3ba49e_zps

I am from Mississippi and the game and fish will argue that there are no big cats. There is a video that is on the net of one not too far from Meridian, Ms. There has been numerous sightings,but no hard evidence. Although if you shot one you would be in a heap of trouble as they are on the endangered species list?? The big cats are like bears or other animals, back in Ms. we have several sightings of bears within 1.5 miles of where I lived for 35 years and I was in the woods hunting, but I never saw them. That doesn't mean they don't exist in small numbers and want to live in the woods away from people if they can.

I am from Mississippi and the game and fish will argue that there are no big cats. There is a video that is on the net of one not too far from Meridian, Ms. There has been numerous sightings,but no hard evidence. Although if you shot one you would be in a heap of trouble as they are on the endangered species list?? The big cats are like bears or other animals, back in Ms. we have several sightings of bears within 1.5 miles of where I lived for 35 years and I was in the woods hunting, but I never saw them. That doesn't mean they don't exist in small numbers and want to live in the woods away from people if they can.

This is also like the wild Dolomite. All he wants is to live in the woods away from people.

• Like 2

The article clearly said that they didn't have any tranqs, it then went on to say that they were afraid that had they waited for someone to bring them, the cat would have escaped. They made the decision to put it down.

Did you even read the article?

Yes, I read the article and yes I saw where they said they didn't have any tranquilizers. My point is they knew they were going after a Cougar and should have had the darts and Tranquilizers in route the location at the same time. They could have sent for some and a dart gun while the cat was in the tree and should the cat make any attempts to try and escape then put it down. I just feel that the decision to put the cat down was made to quickly, possibly even before arriving without putting much if any effort forward to save and protect such a beautiful animal that is suppose to be instinct east of Ole man river (Mississippi). They said they were afraid it might escape but they didn't know that. I'm sorry if you disagree. Yes this is probably only my opinion but it is how I feel............jmho

I have no problem with hunters killing to eat what they kill, (or to feed the hungry), or for population control, but this is complete BS! These chimps just killed it for the S & G's of it and formed an excuse afterwards for doing so. They ought to be charged with a crime.

I think that was total ignorance to kill such a beautiful creature

Not me, they should kill those things dead, kill them again, put two in the forehead and stick it in a large wood chipper.  Those are some extremely dangerous animals.

I’m not a hunter and don’t kill animals for sport. Awhile back I watched a documentary on NatGeo or one of them about a mountain lion in CA that killed a guy while he was working on his bike, mauled one of two girls that was walking and mauled an old guy that was walking with his wife. I’m surprised at the number of people that go traipsing around in the woods without a gun.

When a cat that big is running into someone walking their dog; there is a problem. Look at the size of that cat, kids or adults would not have a chance against him. I would have done everything I could do with what I had available to me to tranquilize or capture that cat; but giving him a chance to get away would not be an option. I wouldn’t let my kids walk around in an area with a bunch of gang bangers around, and I would not allow them to walk around in an area where a cat like that had been seen. That cat screwed up getting around people and it cost him his life.

Exactly Dave, there aren't that many attacks because they do like to hide deep in the woods and the population is limited.  I look at situations like this as with work... The likelihood of the threat is minimal, however the magnitude of impact is off the freaking charts.  That's why I have zero problems looking at it laying on the back of a truck.

Edited by Sam1