Officer shot himself--and the gun store gets sued......

Parrothead

Former GPD officer files lawsuit against gun store after incident;

*Somewhat Graphic Video*

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/VIDEO-Former-GPD-Officer-Sues-Gunstore-After--288172101.html

What's your take? Who's liable? if you were on the jury, how would you see things?

I'll start it off by noting that i believe both are liable. A store should NEVER hand over a loaded gun; it's a great way to get robbed at gun point. However, anyone taking control of a firearm should know its condition without doubt. Both the officer and the gun store representative failed in this regard.

The officer paid with his finger tip and the store paid with bad publicity. I'm not sure this should be more than a educational video from this point on. However, this is America and we MUST blame someone else for our poor judgment...........

Thoughts?

Edited by Parrothead
My take is he's a pu$$y if he can't be a police officer missing the end of one finger.

My dad smashed his right middle finger off at the last joint and missed like 3 days of work because had had to make trips to the doctor.
My neighbor is a mechanic and I think he has a total of 3 full length fingers from a farm equipment accident early in life. And his aren't the tips, they're at or past the knuckle. He can do anything he wants with his remaining nubs down to threading a needle if he pleases.

Besides that always assume every gun is loaded. Edited by JWC

He'll get paid.  Though I think that the police officer should of known better, the store is more at fault.  Who stores loaded weapons for sale in a display case?  Many first gun buyers may of been the ones given a loaded gun and it may of been much worse depending on where the gun was pointed.  

• Like 1
The shop was wrong but the officer broke the safety rules. Luckily no one else was hurt.

He might
Have lost his job because he's a safety hazard.
Of course hell get paid though, civil suits aren't about right or wrong.
A lot of things wrong with this.

First the gun shouldn't have been loaded in the case.

Then the gun should have been cleared before it was handed to the customer/officer. And showed to the customer it was empty.

Next the officer should have checked it himself to verify it was clear.

He should have also been able to tell by the weight of it that it was loaded.

He also failed to follow the safety rules of firearms handling.

Ultimately it is whoever had control of the gun at the time but the shop employee isn't blameless.

He should have also been able to tell by the weight of it that it was loaded.

I liked it all but that one line.  I won't fault someone holding an unfamiliar gun not being able to tell by the weight. 

besides everything else you said,

add he should have kept his booger hook off the bang switch.

• Like 3

BTW, I can say I have never put my hand over the end of the barrel to do a trigger check.

(it does say Former GPD Officer)

But this is a good reason I would not want to be disarmed during a traffic stop just so they could run my serial numbers.

With all do respect, not all officers are experts on all guns.

I put equal blame on both. 1st The gun shop failed to check the gun for ammo before it ever went in the case. 2nd a trained police Officer with any common sense should have cleared the gun before racking the action back making the gun hot. Every time I have any one a gun I inform them if the gun is hot or not. I also make sure they know the tube is hot and safety is on. The officer actually armed the gun when he racked it. I still say both are at fault but the Officer should have cleared the gun first. You can bet the gun store has insurance and they will settle this out of court because in the end the Gun Shop would lose in court.............jmho

I'll hand over a loaded gun to SOME people I know and always tell them it's loaded and chambered. Some other people I know i'll unload it, and some others I wont hand it over at all because they would act like an idiot and treat it like a toy.

I'll hand over a loaded gun to SOME people I know and always tell them it's loaded and chambered. Some other people I know i'll unload it, and some others I wont hand it over at all because they would act like an idiot and treat it like a toy.

I assume the gun is loaded when anyone hands me one.

I swear my father in law had me check about every gun he owned.  Sometimes I will be at his place and he keeps pulling out guns to look at.  Which I check each and every one as handed to me.