PSA - Thief Alert

dickenscpa

What a morning! I do the music at Church and left this morning to pick something up for my sons science project before hand. I had to go into a free kill zone place to pick something up. No one was around and I slid my gun into a console.

I went inside and when I came out, my holster was on the ground and window shattered. The only thing they took was my RIA Match 1911 that I bought off Magiccarpetrides here on this site about 4 or so years ago. I loved that gun and I'm distraught.

About a year ago the company I worked for screwed our med insurance and my wife had an accident. I got stuck with $63,000 in med bills. I had to do what I had to do and sold all my pistols but that one to pay bills.

While the cop was taking my info, my Dad called and my grandmother had died about an hour before. I stayed home from church and I think I'm just gonna mope a bit.

BTW I live in the Lebanon area so if someone sees it for sale I'd appreciate the heads up.
The only reason I left out the place I went to is its a friend of my wife's place of business. She met me there to give me these little steel balls I couldn't order in time for the science fair. After I ran my mouth and called it a free kill zone I hated to name her business. She's also a tax client.

However, I was in the Walmart/Lowes area on Mt Juliet rd and that early on a Sunday morning there was little to no activity. I didn't see anyone in the parking lot. Also, I hid my gun before I got there because I knew where I was going. Unless someone followed me from my driveway to the parking lot.

I will say this, if someone didn't see me put the gun there, they got EXTREMELY lucky to find the hiding place that quickly. I couldn't be late for church and I didn't diddle around. Five minutes tops.
My deepest condolences for your losses. The timing couldn't have been much worse.

I've had my vehicle broken into a couple of times. It really sucks. With all that glass, door locks only keep honest people honest. They won't stop anyone willing to make some noise.

I feel a little better with my valuables in a safe under my seat, but I'm sure that a prepared and determined thief will bring a tool to cut a steel cable. Edited by BigK
  • Administrator

Were you carrying in such a way that it would have been visible if you'd just kept it on your person, or was it adequately concealed?  And if the latter, was the business posted or something?

I'm just trying to figure why you were compelled to leave it behind, because ultimately now another improperly chaperoned gun is out on the streets.  People don't steal firearms to use them for lawful purposes.

• Like 2
The business does have the legal posting for no guns. She was helping me out, she's a client, my wife's friend and due to previous discussions I know without a doubt how they feel about guns so out of respect I left it in the truck. You never think it can happen to you and I didn't think five minutes in there and out would result in catastrophe.

99/100 I wear my snubby on my ankle to church because my 1911 on my hip is uncomfortable with my guitar. Today I did SO many things out of the ordinary for a Sunday morning and it's the morning I get hit.

BTW, it would have been in a tuckable holster and concealed but she also knows me and is a hugger. So I left it in the truck. Like most men aren't technically afraid of their wife but they do things they don't want so they don't have to listen to a bunch of mouth, that was me today and it didn't work out well for me.

Bummer.  Is it wrong to suggest maybe you should thank her for posting next time you see her?   :)

You might want to invest in one of these if they're available for your model of truck.  http://www.consolevault.com/

Well, as the day has went on, right or wrong, I've placed more and more blame on her. In all my years of carrying that's maybe the third time I've left my gun in the truck. I usually keep it on me and just don't draw attention to myself. If I know I have to go to the IRS building or something, I usually leave my gun in a safe in my office and hope I don't get mugged.
  • Like 3

Sorry for all your troubles and also very sorry about your Grandmother and prayers sent. As far as my gun issue. Friend or no friend. If my gun is not welcome neither am I and my billfold 5 minutes in and out my gun would have went with me concealed............jmho

I would to tell her that by following the business policy, and thus the law, that now a criminal has a gun that they would have otherwise not have obtained. You don't have to be mean or confrontational, but you should explain the facts of the situation to them.

Maybe you ought to share this story with your legislator as a example that the sign law does little for the safety of the public, and in this case, has had a negative effect.

I used a situation like this as just one of the reasons why my church should allow carrying (to no avail).
  • Like 3

Tell the lady in firm language that because of her, there is now one more armed criminal in her neighborhood, and if she has a run in with him, don't even consider calling you for help. Maybe she could show him her sign.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

• Like 1

I would to tell her that by following the business policy, and thus the law, that now a criminal has a gun that they would have otherwise not have obtained. You don't have to be mean or confrontational, but you should explain the facts of the situation to them.

If they are anti-gun enough to post, which tells me they want to make a statement, they aren't likely to view it this way. They would likely just spin the story to say that had you never owned it in the first place, a criminal would have never gotten it.

• Like 1

Man, no offense but I'd find a new church. I can commune with God anywhere.

That was one of the criteria when we were looking for a church. Understanding you are in church and should be safe. But you should also row to shore in a storm. I have even been asked to carry openly in church and I volunteer my time as well. Edited by wcd

Ever think that the person who stole it did see you but not on that day. Perhaps someone who has seen you stow it before and knows where you stow it.

And I don't care who it is they are not going to hug me if they are offended by what they might feel when they do.

I hope you get your gun back but I would have a hard time not partially blaming the person who made you stow the gun. I would let her know that you are 100% certain there is a criminal with a gun around her store. Make her as upset about it as you are. The only places I stow my gun are the hospital and the the post office but my wife is ALWAYS in the car when I do. I will never store my gun because of a place of business, there are just too many places competing for my money right now for me to support those who do not believe I have a right to defend myself.

• Like 5