Finally bought new lights for my utility trailer

rugerla1

Go ahead, I'm ready for the thrashing for not having pictures when I start the thread....I'll get them up this weekend. But anyway, finally did what needed to be done after years of dealing with lights acting funny, working then not working, worrying about driving home if it got dark before the job was done, etc. I bought this set of LED lights from TSC for $44.99 (and this week they drop to $29.99!!!!) and I LOVE them! Some of that is probably because they WORK! :rofl: But they were easy to install, and are really bright compared to the standard trailer light kits. I went ahead and replaced the plug and play kit on the truck end as well. Big weight off my shoulder knowing all the wiring is new, taped up with electrical tape in areas that could rub, and tucked up nice and neat. Not a big deal, just excited and had to share. 

Also bought new safety chains while I was at it. The ones I had were fine, these just snap on easier. I'll post pics of that too. I'm loving this lil trailer!

Here's the link if anyone may need to replace or upgrade their lights, definitely worth the work when you're done!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/blazer-led-submersible-trailer-light-kit-for-trailers-under-80-in-wide

Here's some pics from when I got it, might as well make it my trailer show off thread ha ha

It was covered in surface rust so started sanding on it as soon as I got it home

P3250018.jpg

P3250019.jpg

P3250020.jpg

Used black brush on Rustoleum and coated it twice, sprayed the red Rustoleum to match the K5 on the fenders

P3250023.jpg

This is the "safety chain" they had on it  :rant:

P3290018.jpg

I upgraded the chain just a tad 

P3290019.jpg

P3290025.jpg

Added two of these on each side, one front, one back with Grade 8 hardware

Grade8b.jpg

And smaller ones on top of the rail running down the side and two up on the front rail

Grade8a.jpg

And here she is when I finished with 2 coats on the floor and the mounting points all on

P3310031.jpg

P3310030.jpg

Something interesting about this lil trailer, the person who built it used a rear axle from a minivan. Guess they used what they had, and it works for me.

P3290021.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 3
Congrats! That's definitely something that can make life hard when the trailer lights don't work right.

I was driving back from Arkansas duck hunting a couple of years ago when it was FREEZING cold and my trailer lights kept going out on me. I could not keep them running. I was tired and my fingers were just too cold to mess with rewriting a trailer. I stopped at a gas station, bought 2 small keychain flashlights, turned them on and put them behind the lenses of the trailer lights :rofl: It was total redneck, but it got me home with tail lights.

That looks like a nice set you got at TSC
  • Like 4

Congrats! That's definitely something that can make life hard when the trailer lights don't work right.

I was driving back from Arkansas duck hunting a couple of years ago when it was FREEZING cold and my trailer lights kept going out on me. I could not keep them running. I was tired and my fingers were just too cold to mess with rewriting a trailer. I stopped at a gas station, bought 2 small keychain flashlights, turned them on and put them behind the lenses of the trailer lights :rofl: It was total redneck, but it got me home with tail lights.

That looks like a nice set you got at TSC

That's a dang good idea to get ya back home though!!  :up:

That is a good looking Blazer you have there.  I had an either '87 or '88 can't remember but it had a 350 with the TBI.  I remember that there was only one year that came in that combo.  I hate that I let it go for $1K, just needed a paint job and would have been a really nice piece. Heck of a truck.

• Like 1

Nice work! You really made that a nice looking little trailor. The matching fenders look great!

Thank you! The brush on still looks great, the spray-on has faded some. But I really expected that since it wasn't applied as thick.

Nice looking trailer. Yeah, that chain was a huge upgrade. I like those tie down rings you added... I need to do that with mine

Yeah, I'd rather overkill than under. Those swing set chains made me cringe the whole trip back from Franklin! I tell you what, the big D-rings on the bottom are on the heaviest angle iron, and were a you-know-what to drill holes in. But it was SO worth it. No worries with wrapping a strap around the sides and hoping they hold. Enough mounting places that it's easy no matter what I'm hauling or where I have it on the trailer.

That is a good looking Blazer you have there.  I had an either '87 or '88 can't remember but it had a 350 with the TBI.  I remember that there was only one year that came in that combo.  I hate that I let it go for $1K, just needed a paint job and would have been a really nice piece. Heck of a truck.

Thanks 10-Ring, I've had 3 of them and loved them all. I just love old 4x4's period and square body Chevy's are my favorite even though I love many others.

Edited by rugerla1

Good job on the whole thing! I looked at it and thought immediately that you needed new, heavier chains. Then roll down and see you took care of it. :up:  :up:

I appreciate it! Yeah, I wasn't gonna let that crap stay on there even one day sitting in my driveway. The guys at work laughed their butts off when I rolled up in it at work. They said "He's even gotta have a lift kit on his trailer!" :rofl: 

The original safety chains looks like the ones we used on our swing sets when the kids were young. 

Very nice job.

I'm quite sure that's exactly what it is, and was my first thought as well.

And, thank you!

• Administrator

Love me some K5 Blazers!  My grandfather had an '85 for much of my childhood.  I inherited it nearly 30 years later when he passed away, but unfortunately the truck had so much rust beneath the floor in the cargo area that all I could do was, with great sadness, sell it to someone who wanted a hunting truck.

One of these days I'd like to pick up another in good shape for sentimental value.

• Like 1

Nice!  Utility trailers sure are handy.  Mine also has a mini-van rear axle and it works great.  The trailer itself is really heavy for it's size, but it's built like a tank.  I've ridiculously over-loaded it a couple times and it pulled just fine.  I also recently upgraded from 14" wheels to 15" because the tires had dry rotted.  Mine could also stand to be re-painted... how many rattle cans did it take to cover it?

$30 for the submersible LED light kit is a good deal.  I've been thinking about upgrading the lights on my trailer as well.  There's a TSC right next to where I work so I may stop in there and pick that up.  I also like the tie-down brackets you've got, my trailer could use a few more of those. 

Nice!  Utility trailers sure are handy.  Mine also has a mini-van rear axle and it works great.  The trailer itself is really heavy for it's size, but it's built like a tank.  I've ridiculously over-loaded it a couple times and it pulled just fine.  I also recently upgraded from 14" wheels to 15" because the tires had dry rotted.  Mine could also stand to be re-painted... how many rattle cans did it take to cover it?

$30 for the submersible LED light kit is a good deal.  I've been thinking about upgrading the lights on my trailer as well.  There's a TSC right next to where I work so I may stop in there and pick that up.  I also like the tie-down brackets you've got, my trailer could use a few more of those.

I was happy to see that mine were already 15" wheels.
I only used spray for the fenders, the black was brush on Rustoleum and I used a quart and a half for the 2 coats. The floor obviously shows wear now, after years of abuse so I will paint it again soon. But the frame and rails look like brand new still. Love that paint!

Good work on that trailer, it looks great.  I, for one, thank you for having working lights on your trailer.  If I had a nickle for every trailer I saw that did't, I'd be a rich man.  That's one of my pet peeves is using a trailer at night with no lights on, especially when you can't see the lights on the tow vehicle.

When I redid my 16' trailer (wood rotted out)  I sort of did the same thing.  I went to an auto paint store and bought some acrylic enamal and shot mine top and bottom a couple of times.  For the wiring, I found that thick round cable that has the 7 wires in it to beef that up running to the truck.  As I went to the back of the trailer, I added yellow clearance lights to the front corners, and the red 3 light id bar across the back, new tail lights, all LED.  I soldered, shrink wrapped, and used outdoor junction boxes for all my connections and so far haven't had any problems.

Oh, also as I replaced the wood, I bought it, let it set in the basement for over a month suspended off the floor to dry.  Then went to Sherwin Williams and bought the best primer and some industrial enamel and put 2 coats of primer and I dunno how many top coats but a bunch to all sides of the wood.  So far, it hasn't curled like the original planks did.

Geez, I got kinda blabby, whoops.   :nervous:

Edited by hardknox00001

Did you get the tie down brackets at TSC? You sir just motivated me to do some much needed TLC on my trailer. Haven't really done much with it since everyone else (friends - family) use it the most.

Yep, they should be available in the store.  They have a couple different sizes.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/flip-type-ring-anchor-5000-lbs-load

Looks good. An addition for any utility trailer that helps if lights go out is the reflective red/white that they put on 18 wheel trailers now. You can get them at most parts stores and comes in very handy, a candle will make it glow.

My trailer has a rear gate/ramp so I got some reflectors and attached them to the gate.  TSC has those too. 

• Like 1

If you had a new jack, it would look like a brand new one!

I actually painted it also so it matches, but it has seen it's better days. But white lithium grease keeps it working smooth and it's hard to replace something that still works.

Did you get the tie down brackets at TSC? You sir just motivated me to do some much needed TLC on my trailer. Haven't really done much with it since everyone else (friends - family) use it the most.

Glad the pictures motivated you. You'll be so happy after you do it, but make sure you post up before and after pictures so we can see the change on yours too :up: I actually bought them at Lowe's but TSC does have them as well. I tried standard grade bolts and didn't like it. Went back and upgraded to Grade 8 and don't have to worry about really cranking down on the straps.

Good work on that trailer, it looks great.  I, for one, thank you for having working lights on your trailer.  If I had a nickle for every trailer I saw that did't, I'd be a rich man.  That's one of my pet peeves is using a trailer at night with no lights on, especially when you can't see the lights on the tow vehicle.

When I redid my 16' trailer (wood rotted out)  I sort of did the same thing.  I went to an auto paint store and bought some acrylic enamal and shot mine top and bottom a couple of times.  For the wiring, I found that thick round cable that has the 7 wires in it to beef that up running to the truck.  As I went to the back of the trailer, I added yellow clearance lights to the front corners, and the red 3 light id bar across the back, new tail lights, all LED.  I soldered, shrink wrapped, and used outdoor junction boxes for all my connections and so far haven't had any problems.

Oh, also as I replaced the wood, I bought it, let it set in the basement for over a month suspended off the floor to dry.  Then went to Sherwin Williams and bought the best primer and some industrial enamel and put 2 coats of primer and I dunno how many top coats but a bunch to all sides of the wood.  So far, it hasn't curled like the original planks did.

Geez, I got kinda blabby, whoops.   :nervous:

Thank you! I didn't even like driving when I got stuck somewhere late and had to drive home at night with lights half working. Even running my hazards, I hated it! I want people to see the trailer!!

Looks good. An addition for any utility trailer that helps if lights go out is the reflective red/white that they put on 18 wheel trailers now. You can get them at most parts stores and comes in very handy, a candle will make it glow.

Thank you! I bought some reflectors and added them to the back of the fenders and on the back just in case. Those red/white strips are nice too.

Yep, they should be available in the store.  They have a couple different sizes.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/flip-type-ring-anchor-5000-lbs-load

My trailer has a rear gate/ramp so I got some reflectors and attached them to the gate.  TSC has those too. 

One thing I'm going to do is build a new longer/taller gate. The one on there now doesn't reach the ground. It holds stuff in fine, but can't use it as a ramp as the trailer has tons of ground clearance. Also, taller gate will give me better visual when backing up since it's about 50" wide, it has small blind spots at times out of my side mirrors and is not quite tall enough to see through the rear view mirror. The extra height on the gate will really help out there as well as be functional for loading with a dolly. 

Bought the last light kit like yours at the TSC in Triune, gonna order another for the boat trailer on-line. So far I have all the hardware and will start on it tomorrow. I hate going to that store - always end up spending way more than I wanted.
  • Like 1

Bought the last light kit like yours at the TSC in Triune, gonna order another for the boat trailer on-line. So far I have all the hardware and will start on it tomorrow. I hate going to that store - always end up spending way more than I wanted.

I know that feeling!

One thing I'm going to do is build a new longer/taller gate. The one on there now doesn't reach the ground. It holds stuff in fine, but can't use it as a ramp as the trailer has tons of ground clearance. Also, taller gate will give me better visual when backing up since it's about 50" wide, it has small blind spots at times out of my side mirrors and is not quite tall enough to see through the rear view mirror. The extra height on the gate will really help out there as well as be functional for loading with a dolly.

My trailer was originally built to haul a motorcycle, hence the gate. I don't think I could see my trailer at all without the gate, backing up would be awful without it. When you build one, make it the easily removable kind. Mine is bolted on and the bolts are so rusty I'm sure I'd have to cut them off.

As for the grade 8 bolts, you'll break the brackets long before you bend those bolts.
  • Like 1

My trailer was originally built to haul a motorcycle, hence the gate. I don't think I could see my trailer at all without the gate, backing up would be awful without it. When you build one, make it the easily removable kind. Mine is bolted on and the bolts are so rusty I'm sure I'd have to cut them off.

As for the grade 8 bolts, you'll break the brackets long before you bend those bolts.

I'm not sure what the initial intent was for this one. Probably just a general purpose, use what I have laying around to move some stuff project. Sometimes I wish it was 5 ft wide, but for the most part it does what I need. And I love seeing the change from a lil money and elbow grease.

I agree, the bolts will be there long after I'm done with the trailer lol It might be overkill to some people but the standard bolts that came with the D-ring kit were way too soft. I actually snapped one of them in half. I said "The hell with that!"  :rant: But, I'm actually glad it happened because it could have failed while I had something strapped down on the trailer and been a lot worse than in the driveway.

You did a damn fine job refurbishing that trailer. Congratulations on a job well done. :up:

Thank you so much GT!!