M&P 45c or RIA Tactical

Guest StorminMormon

Guest StorminMormon
I am about to have around $500 to spend on a pistol. I love 1911s and would love to get a Springfield, but my budget will not allow. As this is going to be my edc, should I go with the M&P or do you guys feel the RIA Tactical is up for the job?
M&P 45c. Never owned that model but owned 2 9mm's and they were great. Couple guys at work carry the 45c off duty and I've shot them. They are great guns all around. Kind of like a Glock 19 in they are small enough to carry and big enough to fight with.

The IV Gen. G-21 does feel better in hand then its predecessors but it's still a brick with no ergonomics. The S&W M&P isn't a brick but  doesn't appeal to me, even though it handles and shoots like a dream. Oddly enough the somewhat of a G-clone Ruger SR-45 feels good in hand and has better ergonomics then the G-21. It comes down to competitors trying to find the right niche market and customer preference.    

If I were going to deviate very far from the Glock or M&P families living with me, I'd head straight for the FN FNX-45 Tactical.

Aside from its abundantly good quality I can only say it looks like a modern pistol ought to look like. In other words it's not a brick and has good design style.

• Administrator

45ACP 1911 > Polymer gun

I'll be the first to admit that I have an affinity toward 1911's but this statement is about as closed minded as it gets, and is entirely subjective to personal taste.

I'd bet you a box of ammo that my M&P 45 will run longer in nastier conditions than just about any mass-produced 1911 on the market currently and cost a whole hell of a lot less.

• Like 2
Guest tangojuliet

its all depending on what you want to do if you want it for carry the M&P for home defense and a range fun the rock island tactical is a very good choice  and dont listen to the naysayers on the rock islands most them have never owned or shot one 

The IV Gen. G-21 does feel better in hand then its predecessors but it's still a brick with no ergonomics. The S&W M&P isn't a brick but  doesn't appeal to me, even though it handles and shoots like a dream. Oddly enough the somewhat of a G-clone Ruger SR-45 feels good in hand and has better ergonomics then the G-21. It comes down to competitors trying to find the right niche market and customer preference.    

I own a Ruger SR-45 and it is a great gun.  However I think it is a bit big and heavy for CC.  I also own a Glock 19 as well.  I prefer 9 over 45 simple because I want more shots.  If I ever have to use my gun under stress I want to improve my odds of hit something.  I have shot the MP9 and it is even lighter then the Glock 19 but it doesn't seem to be built as well as the Glocks.  A friend of mine owned one and within a year it needed to be repaired.  When I was thinking about buying one I went to check it out and the one in the store was having issues it didn't seem to want to lock when putting in a new mag it was taking me two or three tries to get the mag in.  That would be bad in a self defense moment.  I don't own any RIA Tactical so I can't really comment on those.

Thanks

Robert