Please enter the area code for the number..........

Move to West Tennessee, everyone is leaving here, plenty of numbers available.  We might go back to 3-digit phone numbers ...

You can't just pick up the phone and get Sara to ring the general store?

• Like 1

I have been using all ten digits for some time now since I only have a cell phone.  My work landline is VOIP which has the local area codes (270, 931) built in because some numbers were local while others were considered long distance. 

I have been using all ten digits for some time now since I only have a cell phone.  My work landline is VOIP which has the local area codes (270, 931) built in because some numbers were local while others were considered long distance. 

Same here. I think in ten digit phone numbers now. Have for a while. I even have an out of state (Knoxville 865) area code, and have for years in Kentucky. No point changing a number that has been mine for fifteen years.

You can't just pick up the phone and get Sara to ring the general store?

We can only hope ...

While stupid, and I agree completely, it's really a nonissue for most. How many REALLY dial numbers? Anyone I care to call is stored in my cell and I just touch their name and whammo.

Cell?  What's that?

Having been from Atlanta, I remember having to use 10 digits since around '99-'00 - 770,404,678 - think they've got more now. I've been doing it ever since.

Really, almost since I started using a cell phone I've been dialing (ok storing) 10 digit phone numbers.

Just another sign - too many darn people!

This is such a non-issue it's funny. So many people have out of area codes anyway. If you dial a number with default area code you won't get through. I live in Nashville and have an 865 code and no plans to change.

I mean it's 3 numbers extra. Surly you're fingers will cramp and fall off for having to dial that much more.

Knoxville added 865 to reduce the using of 423 which is used for the entirety of east tn from Chattanooga to Bristol. If you live in Knoxville region and sometimes call a county away you still have to dial 423. It's just the product of growing population and more so growing individual phone use. Families no longer share a number. Instead they need 5 or more per household. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

This is such a non-issue it's funny. So many people have out of area codes anyway. If you dial a number with default area code you won't get through. I live in Nashville and have an 865 code and no plans to change.

I mean it's 3 numbers extra. Surly you're fingers will cramp and fall off for having to dial that much more.

Knoxville added 865 to reduce the using of 423 which is used for the entirety of east tn from Chattanooga to Bristol. If you live in Knoxville region and sometimes call a county away you still have to dial 423. It's just the product of growing population and more so growing individual phone use. Families no longer share a number. Instead they need 5 or more per household.

I had a landline with an 865 area code and I would have to dial 423 to call places less than 20 minutes from me.

Knoxville added 865 to reduce the using of 423 which is used for the entirety of east tn from Chattanooga to Bristol. If you live in Knoxville region and sometimes call a county away you still have to dial 423. It's just the product of growing population and more so growing individual phone use. Families no longer share a number. Instead they need 5 or more per household.

Could you explain this to my father-in-law? He hasn't stopped gripping about it yet. lol

So you have to dial 615 even if your area code is 615? How stupid.

YES dialing the 3 isnt a problem. It's having all numbers listed by name and having to set em all up by area code. Prob be an app out soon for that... Edited by Dustbuster