Hi-Point, say what you want but, not a bad handgun

roverboy

I've heard bad and good things about Hi-Points but, I bought one and love it. What really got me interested was the awesome warranty. Mine runs great with no problems at all. Its a .45 JHP in black. A little heavy but, built strong.

Everyone says this , so now I believe it. But they are so ugly that I am worried if I ever get shot and killed and that thing is laying beside my body in the murder photo that the people that see it will think it was the prettiest gun I owned.  :stir:

Just playin with ya , congrats !

Yes , all I hear are good things about them.

• Like 1

I've heard bad and good things about Hi-Points but, I bought one and love it. What really got me interested was the awesome warranty. Mine runs great with no problems at all. Its a .45 JHP in black. A little heavy but, built strong.

The written warranty actually only covers the first retail purchaser, btw, But yeah, HP by actual policy has always been to fix any of them, at least so far.

Kel Tech used to be same, but changed to enforce the written warranty a couple years ago.

- OS

The written warranty actually only covers the first retail purchaser, btw, But yeah, HP by actual policy has always been to fix any of them, at least so far.

Kel Tech used to be same, but changed to enforce the written warranty a couple years ago.

- OS

Yeah, I've read the actual warranty online, and it does say lifetime warranty for the  original owner. But, they have been very kind now for a while. I bought mine second hand and it had the peep sight on it. I really don't care for them on a handgun, and I called Hi-Point about buying a regular adjustable sight. The guy told me he only needed my name and address and he'd get one out to me. Free, no charge for anything. Awesome.

• Like 1

I think the gangsters in Chicago are keeping Hi-Point in business..............and the straw buyers wealthy. Buy it for 199.00 and sell it for 500.00+ out of their car trunks all day long...................... :shrug: :shrug:

It's a funny odd vs. funny lol kind of a gun that works. I neither like or dislike the ugly buggers but I sure as heck won't make fun of them. HPA products have brought a lot of new shooters into the fold for which I am very pleased, some of these shooters progress to other gun brands. All in all not so bad.
  • Like 1

That $200 handgun is a great deal, until it fails when needed the most. Just sayin'

That's the thing, the high point is a boringly reliable blowback design and the torture tests that others have done and filmed I wouldn't even come close to attempting with ANY of my centerfire pistols. Have you seen what iraqveteran8888 did to his on youtube? I hate to cite youtube as a source, but the video is relevant and well filmed.

• Like 1

I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. It has never failed to fire.  It's ugly, heavy, crudely stamped out of cheap metal and it will slap your face silly. It is also tons of fun to shoot and is surprisingly accurate. To clean it, I just ream out the bore. You'll figure out a solution for the face slapping, I did.

Edited by Will Carry

facts are, yes they are ugly, yes they weigh a ton and yes and most important is they seem to be dependable when you squeeze the trigger and from what I have read they will eat about any ammo from the cheapest to the most expensive so they do have 1 good point in their favor. They fire with a very good dependability................. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

The only badmouthing I can agree with about Hi Points is that they are ugly and heavy...everything else about them is positive in my book. Ok, higher capacity mags would be nice. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My old HP 9mm carbine (was the old style stock design - I traded it for one with the TS stock) tore right through a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo that even my Ruger P95 wouldn't reliably fire.  It came in a white box marked 9mm Luger and had red around the primers so I think it might have originally been intended as sub-machine gun ammo and so had harder than normal primers.  The HP carbine tore through it as fast as I could get on target and pull the trigger without a single hiccup.

Edited by JAB

My old HP 9mm carbine (was the old style stock design - I traded it for one with the TS stock) tore right through a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo that even my Ruger P95 wouldn't reliably fire.  It came in a white box marked 9mm Luger and had red around the primers so I think it might have originally been intended as sub-machine gun ammo and so had harder than normal primers.  The HP carbine tore through it as fast as I could get on target and pull the trigger without a single hiccup.

I said they was tough. Mine so far has ate everything that I've fed it. Shoots good too. I also love that the mention of  Hi-Point, pisses off most snobby shooters. :woohoo:

Edited by roverboy
  • Like 1

Not what I'd choose as a shooter but I'd throw one in the truck or boat or whatever and be confident that I had a reliable gun if I needed it.  If I had $300, no guns, and lived in a crappy neighborhood, I'd have me a Hi Point and $100 worth of ammo.  Ain't nothing at all wrong with them, I wouldn't trade one of my Glocks for one but if I had one I wouldn't get rid of it either. 

My sister had one about 10+ years ago that she sold because she had a hard time just pulling the trigger. It did have a crappy heavy trigger, I asked around and couldn't find any gunsmiths who would touch it. I don't know how different it is nowadays but I don't want one. The only reason I would buy one is to make my Glock feel better about not being the most butt ugly gun I own.  :)

My sister had one about 10+ years ago that she sold because she had a hard time just pulling the trigger. It did have a crappy heavy trigger, I asked around and couldn't find any gunsmiths who would touch it. I don't know how different it is nowadays but I don't want one. The only reason I would buy one is to make my Glock feel better about not being the most butt ugly gun I own.  :)

Sorry about your sisters gun having a crappy trigger. Mine's not bad at all. A friend had one in .40 Cal. that was a sweet shooter. He killed a bobcat at about 70 yards.

That $200 handgun is a great deal, until it fails when needed the most. Just sayin'

Considering that when needed the least they don't fail (dumping 1000's of rounds at the range) why would one fail when needed the most? Just sayin'

• Like 2
I hope to post a positive carbine review soon. I'll be trying out mine at Randy's rifle class next Saturday.

I bought it for plinking but why not see if it can be an effective short range (25-35 yards) and home defense gun.

I upgraded to the TS stock, popped on a BSA red dot and have 6 mags. I'm curious how it holds up and functions.