Has a small issue yesterday in Cookville!

• Authorized Vendor

Glad it worked out. Also a reminder of how little it would have helped if you'd carried that day, but left it in the console of the vehicle and couldn't get to it.

Eggs-actly. I'm glad everything worked out for you. To much scum of the earth in this country nowadays. Always carrying seems like the only hope one has of evening the field somewhat.

Sorry, I thought you meant a Taurus model 85 revolver. So you can see my concern of cocking the hammer on a double action revolver while it was in the holster.

I should have known you would be carrying a Bersa. :)

No Problem my friend and yea it's a Bersa and I hunted for ever for that particular model and a buddy of mine found one for sale someplace and he didn't even hesitate buying it and calling me and telling me had had got me a great gun and what it was. I was thrilled and even more thrilled when I got it in my hands. I would never load the hammer on a double action revolver while it is holstered. The Bersa is also a double action. My move to pull the hammer back while one of them was looking at it with my hand on it I figured he knew at that point it was in the mode to get ready to do business and it made it much more a discouragement for them to wait around and they began moving away almost immediately

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Expendable%20projectiles%20machines/Picture037_zps968a73c4.jpg.html]Picture037_zps968a73c4.jpg[/URL]

Honestly didn't mean anything by what I said. My friend portfolio is very deversified. I just pointed it out because the scales here are very uneven. So it was shocking to picture a group that's all. But regardless of skin color, you, your friend and your pup didn't deserve what you dealt with. Especially your pup, no girl likes to be told she's fat. Glad you're all ok.

No Offense was taken at all. I really don't know anything about Cookville other than that is where my boat mechanic is. Beyond that I couldn't say anything either way about the town. As for them being a group and in the town, they may have been passing through on I 40 and staying in a motel there. I have no clue. I just know it was a moderate experience and My blood Pressure didn't even go up. I figured it was going to be up to them how many had to get shot and I am glad they decided None was the number and they moved on. I guess I would have had to call the police at that point.......................... :up:

No Problem my friend and yea it's a Bersa and I hunted for ever for that particular model and a buddy of mine found one for sale someplace and he didn't even hesitate buying it and calling me and telling me had had got me a great gun and what it was. I was thrilled and even more thrilled when I got it in my hands. I would never load the hammer on a double action revolver while it is holstered. The Bersa is also a double action. My move to pull the hammer back while one of them was looking at it with my hand on it I figured he knew at that point it was in the mode to get ready to do business and it made it much more a discouragement for them to wait around and they began moving away almost immediately

Picture037_zps968a73c4.jpg

I have one of those. I bought it probably in the late '80s. OK, my mother bought it. I was too young at the time.

Shoots exactly where you aim it. It has the trigger that I really like. A little bit of squish and then the hammer falls. I've never liked a "glass rod" trigger.

Wish I had bought an extra mag for it. Too bad they quit making them in '94 (or maybe before, I don't know).

My first and only Bersa. I should pull it out and shoot a few rounds.

Sorry for the hijack. Glad they were at least smart enough to smell danger and move on. They probably never consciously realized what could have happened. For that matter, I doubt they ever have conscious thoughts at all.
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that happened in Cookeville.  I didn't think there was a lot of gang activity in that part of the state in between Nashville and Knoxville.  I've stopped in Cookeville passing through and it looked like a pretty safe area that was kept up nice.  I guess anything can happen anywhere.

• Like 1

When I came out of the store I noticed that 5 young black youths had kinda surrounded my jeep

I'm shocked at the description of these fine citizens....  :shake:

Aside from failing to report this to the police I think you did exactly what you should have. Good job keeping a level head.

I have one of those. I bought it probably in the late '80s. OK, my mother bought it. I was too young at the time.

Shoots exactly where you aim it. It has the trigger that I really like. A little bit of squish and then the hammer falls. I've never liked a "glass rod" trigger.

Wish I had bought an extra mag for it. Too bad they quit making them in '94 (or maybe before, I don't know).

My first and only Bersa. I should pull it out and shoot a few rounds.

Sorry for the hijack. Glad they were at least smart enough to smell danger and move on. They probably never consciously realized what could have happened. For that matter, I doubt they ever have conscious thoughts at all.

Yep, it shoots exactly were you want to bullet to hit. I love the gun. I have put about 200 rounds through it and it has never FTFeed or FTFire. I also love the trigger. It is a little firm when firing in double action on that first round but after that she sweetens right up. That's why I ease the hammer back when I did the other day. I have also been chasing and extra magazine or two and I am hoping TripleK will begin making them. They are researching them to see if it would be a profitable enough venture. I hope they begin making them. I have already bought Mags for my Llama from them and they work great so hoping they move forward on these. If they do they will be contacting me to let me know.

Would someone be kind enough to explain why he should have called 911 and why? No crime was committed here, and bersaguy had everything under control. I see no reason he needed to add the headache of waiting for and then dealing with police when or if they ever decided to show up. :shrug: Honestly, I expect they have more important things to attend to.

I believe he handled the situation perfectly.

• Like 4

you mentioned they were black.  What does skin color have to do with this?  If they were white would you have reacted differently?

And fwiw as racist as this sounds black men tend to look younger than they are.  They may have appeared teen-aged but could have been in their twenties.  ( I ID a lot of people and am terrible at guessing black men's ages.)

anyway you did good.  No one got shot or hurt and you did not get cuffed and stuffed.

• Like 1

you mentioned they were black. What does skin color have to do with this? If they were white would you have reacted differently?

And fwiw as racist as this sounds black men tend to look younger than they are. They may have appeared teen-aged but could have been in their twenties. ( I ID a lot of people and am terrible at guessing black men's ages.)

anyway you did good. No one got shot or hurt and you did not get cuffed and stuffed.

As for skin color, it sounded(read) like it was just a fact of observation. If they were white, Hispanic or otherwise the story would have read as such but reaction the same. That's just my take on reading the OP

Me personally, if I were approached by 5 young white males acting in the manor of the OP I'd state the age and skin color just to paint the mental picture. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

Would someone be kind enough to explain why he should have called 911 and why? No crime was committed here, and bersaguy had everything under control. I see no reason he needed to add the headache of waiting for and then dealing with police when or if they ever decided to show up. :shrug: Honestly, I expect they have more important things to attend to.

Well for one thing, groups like this have a habit of continuing these actions until someone puts a halt to it.  Maybe it was there first encounter and a little police action may have detered them from doing it to someone else where it could end up with a beaten driver, or dead teen(s).  For another, if the teens run home and tell their parent(s) some ole white dude pulled a gun(their story, their truth) on them just because they were black and called them the N word and said he'd blow their heads off...etc.  Best to be the first to talk to LEO to make sure they know your side first and they dont have to post your information on the evening news looking for info on you.

• Like 1

As for skin color, it sounded(read) like it was just a fact of observation. If they were white, Hispanic or otherwise the story would have read as such but reaction the same. That's just my take on reading the OP

Me personally, if I were approached by 5 young white males acting in the manor of the OP I'd state the age and skin color just to paint the mental picture.

^^^This

Punks come in all shapes, colors and ages.  I would of probably described them a bit harsher but skin color is definitely something I would mention as well as any accents and anything else that would narrow it down more.

• Like 1
I would have called the cops anyway. I seriously doubt that they would have sent anyone out, but it let's them know that something is happening in that area. When the next person calls, that establishes a pattern. If the second or third person has to pull out a weapon, maybe the innocent person won't go to jail, maybe the thugs will.

At least that's how it's supposed to happen. I've learned that there are no guarantees when dealing with the gubmint.

A few years back, some jackhole shot through both windows of a pickup that was sitting in the pasture across from my folks' house. They didn't call to report it. "Well, there's no way they can catch who did it." I'm pulling my hair out saying "that's not the point!" They need to know that something happened in the area. Edited by Clod Stomper

Other than the CYA factor I think it would intrest the LEO greatly that there is a group of fools going around looking for trouble. I also think that many times with this behavior drug possession can be a possibility. Also anyone ever in this area just know there are a ton of LEO around, you wouldn't wait around long.

Because the police consider whoever calls first as "the victim"...doesn't matter who really is/was...Luckily these kids didn't realize that they could have easily turned this around on bersaguy in a heartbeat by just calling the police to report a guy flashed a handgun at them while they were just "hanging out at the quickstop admiring his dog"...Thats why it's important to CYA by always reporting the incident to the police FIRST...Always, and i mean ALWAYS be first to report any incident involving the use of your firearm in a defensive situation, regardless of if the trigger was, or was not pulled..

Edited by Someotherguy
  • Like 6

Ok, why call the cops?

Say they called the cops and said "we was trying to pet this dog and this big old white guy comes up and acts like he is gonna shoot us" who . would the cops be looking for?

Yea, I've heard Massad Ayoob talk about similar cases where the perp called the cops and said the victim was the one that was threating them with a gun. That then puts the cops in motion looking for you. It might get straightened out in the end but you might be the one arrested in the meantime.

They say the one that calls 911 first is considered to be the victim.

Because if one of those kids called the cops and said a guy threatened them with a gun and gave a plate; he would have either been stopped and arrested or picked up on a warrant.

When the cops only have one side of the story; they act on what they have. The rest will come out in court.

I don’t disagree with what he did, but he sure put himself at risk of arrest by leaving.

you mentioned they were black.  What does skin color have to do with this?  If they were white would you have reacted differently?

And fwiw as racist as this sounds black men tend to look younger than they are.  They may have appeared teen-aged but could have been in their twenties.  ( I ID a lot of people and am terrible at guessing black men's ages.)

anyway you did good.  No one got shot or hurt and you did not get cuffed and stuffed.

I thought about your post last night and thought I would chime in. I think skin color actually has a place in the story. It's yet another example of aggression by young black males.

Add this to the list of everything else we've seen lately and I think it's relevant. No one wants to discuss the elephant in the room.

To answer your question, I would have acted the same if it were a group of white trash males but the research by Bill Whittle, using FBI crime statistics, says that when it comes to aggravated assault blacks are 200x more likely to assault whites than the other way around. 200 times!

We've seen flash mobs where hundreds of young blacks are destroying malls and attacking people. The kid at the Kroger in Memphis had the crap stomped out of him. We've seen the so called "knock out game" where the victims are usually white. We've seen numerous retaliation attacks against white folks because of the so called "social injustice". I just saw where a white guy in Baltimore was beaten nearly to death. He is clinging to life right now.

After the Treyvon shooting a man in Sanford was drug out of his truck and beaten to death with a hammer. Why? Justice for Treyvon of course.

I could go on an on.

There is a disproportionate amount of crime by blacks against non-blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTUcS-yQtQ

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

This trend I do find alarming.  According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookeville,_Tennessee), the area is less than 4% African-American.  I occupation places me on the road often and I have stopped or passed through Cookeville from time to time.  Encounters like the orginial poster mentioned, I could see common in many areas of Memphis, North Highland in Jackson, the Crossing in Humboldt, Lakeview Circle in Martin, Eastgate in Union City.......  but I would not be concerned when I am in East TN and most parts of Middle TN.  

As for my knowledge of this places mentioned; I take precautions and avoid those areas especially on Friday afternoons.

• Like 1

Well, I don't think these young men called the police and gave them my plate number of I would have never made it home and or the Leos would have been knocking on my door by now. I laid awake thinking about yesterday and i have drawn the conclusion that they were traveling and possibly staying the night in a local motel. A lot of these people are traveling right now to attend protests that are going on in real troubled areas and that is my guess. They may have been headed back to Memphis since they would be traveling I 40. I think everything will be ok and I did not lose any sleep over it except about 10 minutes last evening. I'm comfortable with my actions and did not allow anything to escalate beyond where it did. 

• Like 2

interesting points in your post Eric.

BG you did good.   I am curious was your dog paying them any attention?   I'd be pissed if someone was agitating my dog deliberately.  

I doubt I'd have called the police either.

• Like 1

interesting points in your post Eric.

BG you did good.   I am curious was your dog paying them any attention?   I'd be pissed if someone was agitating my dog deliberately.  

I doubt I'd have called the police either.

oh yea, she was barking and if any of them got to close it went from bark to growl and if one had actually got close enough to put their hand in the jeep window they would have gotten bit. She guards that Jeep really well when she is in the back seat.She is old but still can handle herself well and still has great teeth.