New Tennessee gun law passes

So I have to come out and say " I'm proud to live in tennessee" a bunch of new laws passed for gun rights. One you can carry in a park now which I'm neutral on that one but the one I did find appealing was you can now get a lifetime carrying permit which goes into effect July 1st. There is one that I am glad got turned down and that was you had the right to open carry without a permit....my reason behind that is I think you should have to go to the class so you know what you can and can not do and how to handle a situation. If the law did pass there would be so many lawsuits in court it would be unreal.

What other rights do you support classes and permits for before a person can exercise them? 

Incrementalism works.

Over the last few years we've made great strides in getting our weapons laws headed in the right direction.  If we keep going, constitutional carry might very well happen.

TICS exemption for HCP holders should be, IMHO, next on the list for next year.

Yup!  My sister doesn't even blink an eye anymore when I go into a store and come out with a gun.

I know he's gone, but he has so many out there like him.  

He thinks training should be required, but free.  So then, when the Gov decides to have only one class a year and limit it to 20 people, all of whom donate to the party in charge, how is it said that your rights have not been infringed?

And before anyone says "slippery slope" this is essentially what they have done in New York.  

The permit system we have now is--at BEST--a bad compromise.  Hopefully we will get Const Carry before the Dems change the electorate in this state through immigration to one that suits them better.

• Like 2

I've lived in three states with open carry; it was not unusual to see someone on the street or in a store with a pistol on their belt. It was a non-issue. It's time TN joined the other free states and allow open carry.

Uhm, TN does allow open carry. With a permit. Or do you mean open carry without a permit?
  • 6 months later...

Well, I certainly learned something in training class:  It costs in the neighborhood of $200 to get your 2A right activated in Tennessee.

You are exactly right..  I remember telling my father as we both walked in to the CCW class, IF i learn anything here that I didn't on youtube, It will be time well spent... instend he talks of the castle law, tells you to shoot anybody that is coming at you within the 1 second rule and its ALWAYS EASIER to defend yourself against somebody 6ft under than all lawyered up...

I guess I did learn something that I didn't from youtube... Guy should retire..

So I have to come out and say " I'm proud to live in tennessee" a bunch of new laws passed for gun rights. One you can carry in a park now which I'm neutral on that one but the one I did find appealing was you can now get a lifetime carrying permit which goes into effect July 1st. There is one that I am glad got turned down and that was you had the right to open carry without a permit....my reason behind that is I think you should have to go to the class so you know what you can and can not do and how to handle a situation. If the law did pass there would be so many lawsuits in court it would be unreal.

Don't worry, there are enough people on here who will think the mentally ill should be allowed to carry weapons. 

Edited by kesava

The best law I have seen passed is the one where it is illegal for any federal agency to enforce federal gun laws in the state of Tennessee. We have a great governor.

If you mean the Tennessee Firearm Freedom Act, it doesn't say that at all.

Or maybe you mean the "no help to ATF" statute, which doesn't say that either.

And you are likely alone on this whole forum in your opinion of Haslam in regard to firearm law.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I would agree that I would prefer that those who carry only do so if they have the proper training; however, that is not in the Constitution and what I would prefer is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to someone else exercising their own freedom. The responsibility is theirs. If they don't educate themselves and choose to be irresponsible and, as a result, end up in jail or get slapped with a lawsuit, that is their own fault. Liberty always entails the risk that others will abuse that freedom; but, it is always worth that risk nonetheless.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

.... I was also a little worried about students putting their left hand out in front of them, practicing pushing someone away and firing with their right, or putting their hand in front of the muzzle and firing. Luckly no one shot a hole in their hand.

When I saw this, I immediately thought of my class instructor. A local, now retired, LEO, Buford Tune did that as a training tool to learn how to advance and retreat. Several of us were Shaking our heads in disbelief over it.

HOW in the heck did I miss this thread?!?!?!?

It's almost as much fun as the Kentucky Conan thread was.

Edited by hipower

I need a refund because my class didn't teach anything about how to handle a situation nor did it cover everything you can and can't do.

When I saw this, I immediately thought of my class instructor. A local, now retired, LEO, Buford Tune did that as a training tool to learn how to advance and retreat. Several of us were Shaking our heads in disbelief over it.

Did he have you point your gun at his face so he could determine your eye dominance?

Ah, ole Looney Tunes. Always good for a chuckle.  :biglol: